STIHL 1974-2012 IN THE USA the success story!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In Australia, the Stihl pro saws obviously have the dual port muffler, high volume oil pump, larger carb jets, dual dog spikes and roller chain catcher as well as the HD2 air filter.
The US saws now have the HD2 filter and mabey the dual dog spikes but none of the other upgraded gear.
I know as I got a 660 from the states last year and upgraded it to Aust specs.
Shame with your EPA bulls*it as it chokes the saws down and dosent give justice to the non strato saws
Other than that, the quality is on par with the german builds

all buyable parts. and all have the same part number no mater where they are. there are no euro parts and us parts.all are parts availible thru stihl .a certain someone needs to realize his BS rants (though some are correct) are getting old in this country.(this isnt to the person i quoted,i just used it because i forgot able upgrade parts))

all buyable parts. and all have the same part number no mater where they are. there are no euro parts and us parts.all are parts availible thru stihl .a certain someone needs to realize his BS rants (though some are correct) are getting old in this country.(this isnt to the person i quoted,i just used it because i forgot able upgrade parts))

Not sure if your reference above is meant for me or not.
Not trying to start a war but you made the statement that appart from mufflers, they were all the same, unless if european saws have different pistons, cylinders and carbs etc.
Sorry if i have not got all your quote right.
I was mearly making the statement that they are not all the same.
Yes, same base model, and parts are all interchangable but the saws dont come out standard with them.
They can be added later, that is correct. but not off the shelf.
I was mearly replying that there is a difference in saws between countries, though not really cosmetic.
Like I said earlier, I have some German built saws and the US are of equal quality which shows Stihls quality control standards are the same
all over the world.
All the best Wayne

Not sure if your reference above is meant for me or not.
Not trying to start a war but you made the statement that appart from mufflers, they were all the same, unless if european saws have different pistons, cylinders and carbs etc.
Sorry if i have not got all your quote right.
I was mearly making the statement that they are not all the same.
Yes, same base model, and parts are all interchangable but the saws dont come out standard with them.
They can be added later, that is correct. but not off the shelf.
I was mearly replying that there is a difference in saws between countries, though not really cosmetic.
Like I said earlier, I have some German built saws and the US are of equal quality which shows Stihls quality control standards are the same
all over the world.
All the best Wayne

nope nothing towards you. your post was factual thats why i quoted you.(sorry if it looked different) someone else on here seems to think euro saws are completely different than american saws.other than the mufflers(we are epa challenged here!) the rest are simply options.(possible the jetting too,but still has a standard stihl part number(s).

nope nothing towards you. your post was factual thats why i quoted you.(sorry if it looked different) someone else on here seems to think euro saws are completely different than american saws.other than the mufflers(we are epa challenged here!) the rest are simply options.(possible the jetting too,but still has a standard stihl part number(s).

Thanks for the clarification discounthunter, cheers mate
Yeah, i do feelsorry for you guys in regards to the EPA crap.
I guess when you look at how many in the US own chainsaws and how many own saws in Australia, New Zealand and some of the othe rcountries then that may plat a part in it no boubt.

Though dont worry, it is not so much about saws here, the enviromental movement in this country is like a snowball gathering size and momentum downhill.
Not sure what it is like over there in your neck of the woods with the enviroment movement?

Oh and one other difference to my US 660, you guys must run .050 guage where our saws run .063 which is perhaps why the pro saws have the high output oiler, bigger bar groove.
Not sure if it is because we are behind the 8 ball over here or as i suspect, most of our bloody wood is generally a lot harder.
I was told .050 guage has 20 % less friction, which would be a benifit when the saws are not able to be their full potential as origionally designed.
I agree, its great what Stihl are doing in the States. So many companys here are going offshore as our high dollar dont help exporters.
A catch 22 situation. Imports cheaper / exports too dear.
Sorry to the OP for derailing your thread.
Cheers Wayne :cheers:

Hi All
I think if you look into the model line up of the Stihl Pro saws you will find that all of the iminities you speak of are avaibale if you buy the R model saws with the exception of the dual port muffler which you add on after purchase.
Safe cutting
P.S. I thank Stihl for what they are doing here in the states.

What is your major malfunction?

This thread was about the investment Stihl made in a US manufacturing facility. No one gives a Rats ass that the saws made there are not the same saws that are produced in Germany, it's not relevant to the point being made. Stihl is investing in the US economy and that's what's important

Stihl should be applauded for their actions, not criticized for not producing a certain type or model of saw in the US facility.

Have a nice day.
i will tell you what his problem is. he nothing more than another narrow minded, arrogant, foreigner, who comes on here daily to spew his backwords b.s. about how superior husky is to any other brand. while husky is trying to BUY superiority/market share, stihl is BUILDING superiority and market share. and by the way, the ms261 is built in V.A. BEACH, and is a darn good 50cc, one the best, it starts/runs well, and does not have 16 recalls and service updates either. again, this is to be a positive thread about a company investing in the USA in a dwindleling economy. hats off to the op for trying to start a positive thread, haters and others can move on now.

Actually the "quality" of the products of the made in the US is consistently better than the German factory.

As in the number of warranties filed against number of units shipped.

The US factory is under 1%, and the Germany factory is around 1.5%

So the actual quality control is better in the US factory.

Not your perception of "good" saws vs. "bad" saws, and good saws being made in
Germany, and "bad" saws being made in the US.

And for all the propaganda you sling Saw Troll Husky should at least give you a free
T shirt. Me , Indian Springs, and Tommy all make our living off Stihl, you are just a
Husky slut, doing work for them and getting nothing in return.

Last edited:
Would anyones opinion of China change if they would stroll on over here and open up a facility that provided tens of thousands of decent paying jobs to the American worker? Doesnt matter if there producing crap or quality, or even a chainsaw, just providing a job?

Would anyones opinion of China change if they would stroll on over here and open up a facility that provided tens of thousands of decent paying jobs to the American worker? Doesnt matter if there producing crap or quality, or even a chainsaw, just providing a job?

It seems like most "red blooded 'Mericans" hatred of Chinese made products are
1/3 racism, 1/3 hatred of communist, and 1/3 loss of American industrial jobs.

What was bashful with that post? :msp_confused:

It just was some factual information!

You dared to mention facts--that's the problem. You should have merely said something like "you're a bunch of narrow minded americans who can't see any colors but orange and white" or "what is your malfunction?" or "my saws are best how dare you mention facts when you should be hailing mother Stihl?!" Then all would be fine. :laugh:

You dared to mention facts--that's the problem. You should have merely said something like "you're a bunch of narrow minded americans who can't see any colors but orange and white" or "what is your malfunction?" or "my saws are best how dare you mention facts when you should be hailing mother Stihl?!" Then all would be fine. :laugh:

You just described a certain member pretty well....:laugh::laugh:

SawTroll is so good at what he does, I almost feel like selling Huskies again.:msp_sneaky:

With no debate on quality, what does Poulan (Husqvarna) produce here and what is the resulting economic ripple effect?:dunno:

are there any other brands investing in the us economy right now? asking an honest question here. i will always support the brand that has built my business, and put bread on my table!

I'm glad to see manufacturing jobs here. I'm hoping they're doing design here too.

To some extent you can thank Poulan. The plastic saws we all love to hate are the technology used in most saws made. That US developed technology was/is a big benefit to Husky, and Stihl's copies of it were the primary thing made in VB.

As for the horrible EPA regs - those regs will be keeping out saws without the technology to meet them, and stuffing on a cat muffler and limiter caps (or epoxying the adjusters shut!) won't cut it in terms of performance for long. Places like Australia that don't have such rules have nothing to keep the Chinese manufacturers from flooding their market, at the same time the costs for European manufactures to operate there are rising. And as a side benefit we get saws that burn cleaner and use less fuel.

Back