Stihl 23RSC on Husky turns brown

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

husky46cc

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I got a nice little Husky 445 for Fathers' day from my wife and twins. I bought a Stihl 23 RSC full chisel chain for it from the local Husky dealer. I began bucking a 16 inch red oak that I had just taken down. The wood's pretty green, it's been wet.

The saw cut like a fiend and big chips flew but after a while the bar turned brown on the bottom. The chain turned brown also. The chain also got sticky. The chain also seemed to heat up more than the Husky low kickback chain that came with it. The Husky chain seemed to run cooler and didn't turn brown. I was just looking for a bit more aggressive chain.

The saw is oiling. It throws out a nice pattern of oil on a stump at throttle. I don't think I have it too tight. I checked the tension repeatedly. The brown deposits seem like they're baked on. Won't come off with turpentine, etc.
What am I doing wrong, if anything? Love this site!

I got a nice little Husky 445 for Fathers' day from my wife and twins. I bought a Stihl 23 RSC full chisel chain for it from the local Husky dealer. I began bucking a 16 inch red oak that I had just taken down. The wood's pretty green, it's been wet.

The saw cut like a fiend and big chips flew but after a while the bar turned brown on the bottom. The chain turned brown also. The chain also got sticky. The chain also seemed to heat up more than the Husky low kickback chain that came with it. The Husky chain seemed to run cooler and didn't turn brown. I was just looking for a bit more aggressive chain.

The saw is oiling. It throws out a nice pattern of oil on a stump at throttle. I don't think I have it too tight. I checked the tension repeatedly. The brown deposits seem like they're baked on. Won't come off with turpentine, etc.
What am I doing wrong, if anything? Love this site!

Welcome to the site!

There is a lot of heat made by the chain, many times it looks like smoke coming from the cut, but it's steam.

Oil and sap can congeal on the steel to make a brown coating, it's not really a problem.

Where it seems most noticeable is on the top of the top plate, on the bar right next to the chain, as it forms there, it sometimes sets up with sawdust, again, not a big whoopee.

Last edited:
Back