Stihl 25" vs 20" Bar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I read this post-
GASoline71 said:
The 361 pulls tha 25"er just fine and is still balanced well.

-and thought, "ooh, I bet my friend SawTroll jumps all over that one!

And then he did-

SawTroll said:
It would be interesting to see your defination of balance...:laugh:

Mine, Gary's, and most of the Western USA's idea of a balanced saw are along the same lines.

We also like full wrap handlebars! Thanks Gary!

Balance ???

GASoline71 said:
Well considering most 59cc and bigger saws out here in the PNW sport longer bars than you guys are used to... you have now way of knowing. :popcorn: Gary
fishhuntcutwood said:
... Mine, Gary's, and most of the Western USA's idea of a balanced saw are along the same lines.

:bowdown: :bowdown:
I know, but balance is balance - whether you care about it or not, is another question...... :biggrinbounce2:

Last edited:
healthy after 50!

Did you ever think of health after 50 like a car warrenty?5 years 50,000 miles,and damn don't you need to start buying parts?
Ed
:bang:

SawTroll said:
I know, but balance is balance - whether you care about it or not, is another question...... :biggrinbounce2:

I agree with you dude... but my sense of balance for a saw with the longer bars will be much different that those that only run short bars. So I might not be the best one to ask about how balanced a saw feels. :D

Gary

SawTroll said:

When is balance a concern? Once the bar is in the cut balance is mute, as the weight of the saw is in the tree. And even in a firewood situation, wouldn't you want the saw nose heavy so that if something happens, the saw is going to want to fall nose down away from you, and not have any tendency to fall back nose up towards you?

Other than in a one-hand 200T type of thing, or when considering how comfortable the saw is to carry, I can't think of a time when balance is even in my top five concerns about the saw. And I don't buy a saw to carry it, I buy it to make trees fall down.

I'm not saying that everyone, or anyone should throw a 24" on their 361, or a 36" on their 660 just because they can or if they don't need to, but for the cutting I do these are the bars I use. Weight for me is more of a concern. Let's say I need to use a 28" for whatever I'm cutting. Well my 660 would "balance" better with that 28" than my 440 would, but am I going to lug around the extra pounds of the 660 all day just so my saw sits level in my hand when I'm holding it? Personally I'm going to carry the bar long enough to cut what I need cut, with the lightest, yet plenty capable powerhead available.

You're right, balance is balance. But until I've got the issues of power, bar length, and weight taken care of, I don't worry about balance.

But that's just my side of it SawTroll my friend. I'm not arguing with you, just debating and discussing. :cheers: :bowdown:

Jeff

GASoline71 said:
I agree with you dude... but my sense of balance for a saw with the longer bars will be much different that those that only run short bars. So I might not be the best one to ask about how balanced a saw feels. :D

Gary

Plus you're just a big 7' tall hairy ape that manhandles everything anyway! :monkey:

I realize I'm new here but here goes. I bought my MS361 with a 25 inch bar.
I'm 6' 210 lbs. I cut my first couple of cords with the 25 inch bar seemed when carrying it around the bar end always went down like a magnet to the earth. When you sat it on the bench the front would go down to the bench.
I bought a 20 inch bar and put it on and holding it while cutting I don't have to hold the front up and it the bar front doesn't hit the bench. Im not a rocket scientist but its kinda like tractor pullin, when the weight gets to the front of the sled the front of the tractor goes down. Balance is balance not matter where you live or where your from. I would image the balance would even be better with the 18 inch bar as it would weigh less and is shorter.
:chainsaw:

Yeah, and my 36" on my 660 is front heavy too, but I still use it. I put a larger set of dogs on my 361 partially to keep the bar tip up off the ground. Works well. And I guess I've never noticed the 24" being drawn to the earth. Like I said, I don't just run the largest bar possible because I can, but if I need a 24" bar in the wood I'm cutting, I don't want to drag my 460 around just so it balances for me. The 361 weighs alot less, and pulls it fine. I've got an 18" for the 361 that I use sometimes climbing. There yes, I can see balance as an issue. I run the shortest bar I can with the lightest powerhead that'll pull the chain of that length.

jramstead said:
... I would image the balance would even be better with the 18 inch bar as it would weigh less and is shorter.
:chainsaw:

The bar that balances my 361 perfectly is the relatively light 18" Rollomatic E (not ES).

The nose of the bar point a few degrees down when the saw is held by the top of the handlebar, which is about perfect for bucking in my book.

The bar is practically level when the saw is held by the left side of the handlebar, and this helps in avoiding snags when carrying the saw, and more important - in getting the felling cuts level.

Last edited:
fishhuntcutwood said:
I put a larger set of dogs on my 361 partially to keep the bar tip up off the ground. Works well. And I guess I've never noticed the 24" being drawn to the earth. Like I said, I don't just run the largest bar possible because I can, but if I need a 24" bar in the wood I'm cutting, I don't want to drag my 460 around just so it balances for me. The 361 weighs alot less, and pulls it fine.

Hey Jeff... look familiar???

Ha! :D :D :D

GASoline71 said:
Hey Jeff... look familiar???

Ha! :D :D :D

Hmmm....looks like a master metalsmith with years of experience custom fit those dogs to that saw like Jesse James.

...Or maybe that I did it with a band saw, drill press and a bench grinder. :hmm3grin2orange:

Glad you like 'em bro. I did.

Jeff

Back