Stihl 260 (026) Dropped from Model Lineup?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

max2cam

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
On another forum there are rumors flying about that the Stihl 260 (026) is going to be discontinued from the Stihl lineup in favor of cheaper-to-make saws. Supposedly some dealers are telling that story.

Can it be true?

Isn't this Stihl's best mid-size chainsaw?

Would they really do this?

I sure hadn't heard that one, but they do need to superize it. It is not the hottest stock saw in the 50cc class any longer. The 2152 Jonsered/353 Husky and the 651 Solo will both whop it.

It's pricing demands industry leading performance.

Maybe they need an MS 260 Super at about 52cc without raising the price.

Although; I would just as leave they keep trying to sell the $400 thing, fixed jet and all. It ultimately helps me sell more.

I thought the 260 was always compared to the 346XP in the Husky lineup, the 353 appears to have less HP and slightly more weight, as does the Jonsered 2152. The Solo seems to be a hot one though...maybe more pricey as well?

I think this rumour is non sense the 026 is one of stihls best selling models. The 652 p might have slightly more power but is crude compared to the 026 and especially the 346 in terms of ergos and anti vibe IMO. the 2152 and 353 are both bigger saws so that not really a fair comparision. The 260 direct competitio is the 2149 and the 346.

My local guy told me that the 260 is dropped to make way for the 270-280 should I buy 5 of them and sell them in a year.

Is the 2149/346xp really the direct competitor for the 026?

I thought the 346,2149,351,353, and 2152 all shared the same basic body and rotating assy...just a couple more cc's for the new Huskies and Johnny's. If that's the case, wouldn't they all be pretty much the same saw?

In my area, the 2152/353 are at the same price point as the older 2149/351, and both are less than the 026, either flavor (pro, std)

I think Stihl is feeling the pinch and is trying to position themselves to better compete with a lower-priced unit. Too bad the new 270/280 is developing a reputation for being cheaply made before they even have much chance to blow up in the field, LOL.

Originally posted by eyolf

I think Stihl is feeling the pinch and is trying to position themselves to better compete with a lower-priced unit. Too bad the new 270/280 is developing a reputation for being cheaply made before they even have much chance to blow up in the field, LOL.

Where does some of this stuff come from.......Stihl has gained US and world wide market share every year for the past 10 years......

and I have personally sold about 20 270's since spring.....not a thing wrong with them.....if you took one apart you would see that it is far from cheap!!

Oh, its so fun to know when you've raised someone's ire...

Nobody said the the 270/280 was "cheap" I intended for the reader to infer that the new model was getting a reputation for "...being cheaply made".
Right here in the annals of our own hallowed AS CS forum are numerous fearful references to yet another 029/039-type offering. Stihl isn't alone...Elux also offers plastic saws, and within their intended niche, they're fine. But they're not as solid and long-lasting...the discerning, discriminating buyer usually steers clear.

Right now in the 49-53cc range, I personally think the E-lux 52cc saws represent a real value where they are underselling the Stihl 026. I imagine there are a few markets wher the Stihl dealers are working hard at being competitive and the ELux boys aren't...in those cases the 353 at full list probably isn't the better deal.

Average price I've seen for 026/260 is about $410.
Locally, 2149 and 353 are available for $360, best mail-order price is about $325.

Clem,

I don't mean to be impolite, but you cannot compare the cutting capability of any two saws unless you have put them in the same log side by side and timed them, and then there are still several variables, mainly chain.

Comparing spec sheets will often mislead you.

We have had the occasion to compare the 026 Pro Stihl, 651 Solo, 2152 Jonsered and the 952 Efco. We tried to keep the chain factor as even as practical. The Stihl did have Stihl full chisel chain almost new and properly touched up. The Stihl was beaten by two of the three saws.

I do agree with the post that stated that it is not a real fair comparison because of the slightly greater displacement of the competitors.

My main point here is that learn the truth about performance from spec sheets.

Secondarily there is much room for argument about what are really fair comparisons. (Maybe that particular 026 was dogged out, but I don't think so)

I don't mean to say the 026/Ms260 is a bad saw, just not quite as competitive as it once was. Every dog has its day, the 026's was 10 years ago, today is another chapter. Why do you suppose the 2149 was increased from 49cc to the 2152 at 52cc?

If the 260 is slower so what, you guy are all about speed, not reliablity...
?

I am lost..

The 270 & 280 arent considered Pro saws like the 260. As far as im concerned
there in a whole other ball park. Why would stihl discontinue there only Midsize frame pro saw for a Homeowners midsize saw?

As far as I am concerned the new fixed jet 026s are POS's. It could be that homeowners and Pro's alike are buying this model and realizing it has less power in the cut than the old model, while offerings from other OEM's are just as powerful as before.

While a few can swap an old carb on the saw to give it some balls, why should a company buying 25 of them have to go through all the hassle? And at least 2/3 of professionals dont have the time or knowledge to do this themselves.

Also emissions could be a factor, maybe it is just becoming too expensive to keep the old girl in compiance, just like the 038, 257XP, 272XP, 288, etc.

And then again maybe it's all just a misunderstanding on one or more person's part.  This one is substantially different than the one floating earlier which said the saws were getting (limited) adjustability restored this fall.

What's the real story here?  How about it, stihltech, et al?

Glen

FWIW, my 2 week old MS260 (non-pro) has an adjustable carb. As I was shopping around, there were no comments from any dealer (including those that carried both Stihl & Husky) about the 260 being dropped from the product line.

what the loggers are using to cut "dog hair"

Here in Northern CA. the timber cutting industry has changed alot the past years.
I have noticed the 260 Pro being used alot to cut the smaller re-growth. Seems to be a heavily used saw.
Frans

Our local Stihl dealer will try to convince you that whatever he has on the shelf when you walk in the door is the best and greatest saw for what ever you need one for. He told the boss that the 260 was overpriced and parts wertre to expensive for it because it is made in Germany. The dealer convinced the boss that the 270cqs at 2 pounds more weight was a better buy than the 260. Looked to me that the 280 at half a pound more weight and more horsepower would have been the way to go.

Stopped to see the Husky dealer today. 338's are selling good. He hasn't heard about anyproblems with people getting burn't on the muffler. He says his best selling saw is the 353. Way outsells the 55R. He had just gotten in 20 saws two weeks ago and had about 5 left.

Originally posted by Kneejerk Bombas
Maybe the reason they are dropping the 026 is, it's a cute little saw made for girls and women, and not many girls and women buy chainsaws.

My Wife Does and she likes her 260 Especially with the Muffler Mod.

:p

Well isn't the EPA gonna make a lot of saw models go away by 2010 anyways?

So sure, I guess the 260 is kind of in its last run.

Latest posts

Back