Stihl 260 Pro with 3/8 chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
first saw is my muff modded 026 wearing 3/8" 18" oregon lgx

i quite often buck wood to bar tip this wood isnt quite to the tip and is notty right here.
<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://i661.photobucket.com/flash/player.swf?file=http://vid661.photobucket.com/albums/uu339/Evan03_photo/GEDC0733.flv"></embed>

i think it cuts pretty good and is super light

I prefer full house 3/8 16" on mine, never liked the .325.

OK, if we're choosing sides, I'm going with 2K on this one. Honestly folks, in most applications, there's not enough difference between .375 and .325 to even have this discussion.

The 3/8's chain will prolly be OK once you get a few sharpenings on it and figure out where the saw likes its raker depth. For all this though just go with .325. Lose the grinder and learn to file by hand............your chains will last longer that way. It has been my experience that most take too much material off when using a grinder. There is also the chance of over heating the tooth and making it tempered then a file won't touch it!

i thought getn them hot takes the temper out and makes them softer.

OK, if we're choosing sides, I'm going with 2K on this one. Honestly folks, in most applications, there's not enough difference between .375 and .325 to even have this discussion.

Pretty much sums it up. I could see a use for .325 on a 026 if you were running a 20" b&c, but I'm grabbing a bigger saw then.:D

Both the Husky 346 and the Dolmar 5100 are both significantly more powerful than the 260.

I understand that but to say that it is not among them is crazy. I mean, it has a whole 2 saws above it as far as power not dependability or weight out of the WHOLE BIG WIDE WORLD OF CHAINSAWS! ;)

026 with a muffler mod and 18" bar.

I definitely prefer the 3/8-7 pin to the .325.

Have had a teensy bit of experience in the harder hardwoods and it does just fine.

Pretty much sums it up. I could see a use for .325 on a 026 if you were running a 20" b&c, but I'm grabbing a bigger saw then.:D

I totaly agree. 325 is just too low of a profile chain. The 026 shouldn't sport anything more than a 16" bar and 3/8 chain.

I'm starting to get the idea that 95% of casual users have rocked out chain and abused bars, whether they know it or not, so from that point of view it doesn't matter a hoot what they use.
Rock Away, Rock Away!
Gypo

Should be buying a 260 PRO in the coming week. I think I would like to have 3/8 chain on it. That way I will use the same files and same stone on my chain grinder. Should I expect to pay extra to have the saw readied for 3/8? I think they usually come with .325 chain.
I think it depends on what you are going to do with the saw I am going off my own experience with a 2152 here and I have run a 260 and in stock form they have the same power except the Jred is twice as smooth :popcorn:When mine was still stock I found it grabby and under powered for 3/8 in full length cut's with a 16'' bar even in Pine. But modded it was a whole different story I am sure the 260 will be the same it's my favorite Stihl as it's trim and light and I have read good things about the modded ones on this site. So I am not bashing it, but I would give the Woodland Pro .325 skip a try if doing full bar length cut's I find it a great chain for the 50cc saw's and bigger wood. I hand sharpen no grinder so files only cost a few bucks. But in all honesty a few seconds does not matter in the real world and you just have to be less aggressive when you attack the tree with your saw.A little less dogging in and let the saw do the work when bucking.

I totaly agree. 325 is just too low of a profile chain. The 026 shouldn't sport anything more than a 16" bar and 3/8 chain.

I'm starting to get the idea that 95% of casual users have rocked out chain and abused bars, whether they know it or not, so from that point of view it doesn't matter a hoot what they use.
Rock Away, Rock Away!
Gypo
That is so true! Unless you run that Oregon low profile .325 chain if I remember right it was something like 33sl? safety chain I could just not get that stuff to cut I even ground off the safety humps in experiments with it lol. I did not have the same problem with my little saw's and 3/8th low pro chain it did okay not great but okay.A sharp chain and a 40cc saw is better than a Rocked out chain and a 80cc saw.

I understand that but to say that it is not among them is crazy. I mean, it has a whole 2 saws above it as far as power not dependability or weight out of the WHOLE BIG WIDE WORLD OF CHAINSAWS! ;)
The 260 is good but many will equal it in stock form say a 540 dolmar? it's got just as much power but again it's a smoother saw,the 260 is not a stand out in the 50cc class except for the fact it is light and you can get parts anywhere.

Last edited:
Pretty slim chance that you will ever need it though, unless your saw handling is really sloppy/careless????

Sloppy/careless???? I would like to only keep one extral b/c combo in the truck because I don't often have problems that require immediate replacement.

Lose the grinder and learn to file by hand............your chains will last longer that way.

I do hand file. More often than not, in fact. Only gets used on chains that are seriously messed up. Hell of a time saver. My hand sharpened chains are far better than my electric grinder chains. All the more reason that I want only one stone!

first saw is my muff modded 026 wearing 3/8" 18" oregon lgx

i quite often buck wood to bar tip this wood isnt quite to the tip and is notty right here.
<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://i661.photobucket.com/flash/player.swf?file=http://vid661.photobucket.com/albums/uu339/Evan03_photo/GEDC0733.flv"></embed>

i think it cuts pretty good and is super light

As good as that runs, it doesn't come close to a 346. This is not a ported saw and is cutting 16"-17" of hardwood.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/iMRPgHxaVzo&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/iMRPgHxaVzo&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Well actually there's more.

If your comparing "pro" level 50cc saws, there are probably only four out there worthy of comparison: the 260, the 5100, the 346xp and the 2153. I think coming in fourth out of four kinda tells the story. . .

Having said that the 260 will beat the snot out of all Homeowner 50cc saws, and will last probably 'till the second coming of Christ. ( Can I say that on this forum???)

Al :cheers::cheers:

If your comparing "pro" level 50cc saws, there are probably only four out there worthy of comparison: the 260, the 5100, the 346xp and the 2153. I think coming in fourth out of four kinda tells the story. . .

Having said that the 260 will beat the snot out of all Homeowner 50cc saws, and will last probably 'till the second coming of Christ. ( Can I say that on this forum???)

Al :cheers::cheers:

Well if we're going to throw a saw out there with that size of motor then we may as well go 1 more cc and throw my PP330 in there so it can claim 1st with all of these saws in stock form and put the red one in 4th position. Come on now it's time to bash the POULAN because you've never ran a good one.:cheers:

I'll hijack my own thread!

Glad you brought up the PP 330. Mine could use an oiler and a top end. Where do I find them? The Poulan/Weedeater site didn't seem very friendly for ordering parts.

BTW-----I have learned a lot from this thread. Thanks!

Back