Stihl 261 C-M Intermittent Hot Start Issue

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I miss THall and LakeSideAndy...

There's a reason those guys ain't here anymore......one too many oil threads. :laugh:

I figure there's a little trash or water, or trashy water hanging out in the carb inlet screen.

Water won't pass like fuel will.....causes all sorts of weird stuff.

OP here......Definitely hoped this would not turn into a brand bash, but I still wanted some input, so I posted anyways. Sorry fellow Stihl lovers :)

Anyways....To reply to a few suggestions/comments above:
The dealer is a very knowledgeable mechanic and has the highest Stihl certification. I trust his troubleshooting. I do a lot of saw work for folks myself, so I feel his pain trying to fix an intermittent issue.
They definitely checked comp, vent function, and vac/press on the crankcase before ordering the special tool to test the M-tronic carb (which also checked out ok by the tester). They also explained the recalibration to me. I wish I had asked them to write down the procedure, but maybe you have to "clear" the processor before you can do the calibration ????
I'm not convinced that the issue is truly M-tronic related. Seems more like a basic "mechanical" carb issue (acts a lot like vapor lock). It only had one "spell" today, but that was enough for me. :(

Definitely going to take it back again. They're going to wear out the screws taking it apart and putting it together so many times. :)
To recalibrate take the bar and chain off then move master control lever to start position and crank and let idle for a minute or so without touching throttle then move control lever all the way to off position. Reinstall b/c and go make several full cuts.

Dont think it will be a recalibration issue but u should definetely listen to Mastermind and start there on the carb inlet

I agree with MM... they are still a normal carburetor behind that auto adjustment.

I took it back to the dealer today. While I was there he got on the phone with a regional tech rep from Stihl. Based on their conversation, the carburetor body is being replaced. Since everything bench tests OK, their only option was to replace the part they felt was most likely causing my issue (kinda like an educated "throwing parts at it").

We shall see......

Good luck with it. From what I have read (I have not encountered the problem) some people have had better luck staring it by not using the compression relief. Since my 044 never had one, I often don't use it myself on my 362 C-M.

I guess that is one way to clean the carb! Also, if you have not done it, you may want to dump the fuel and replace before using that new carb.

Gee, all these guys here saying that Mtronic is the best thing ever, and old school adjustable carb saws being shyte and all...

I will see your Mtronic and raise you one orange screwdriver.

As for Andy, he decided he was spending too much time here. I can see his point, as people here have PM'd me of late wanting me to call them to solve saw problems. I am not an on-call mechanic, thanks. I do not know what happened to Tommy Hall.

As for the OP, just keep taking it back to the dealer for fixing. It is their problem under warranty. Sounds like a vapor lock or gas line issue to me. Gas/carb gets hot, causes air bubble in gas line or carb someplace. My 025 saws used to do that a lot. Clogged gas tank vents can also cause similar problems (creates a vacuum as the tank drains).

That is what I do, but if AK and MasterMind say different, I will have to re think my procedure and give that a try.

Does any harm come from using run instead of start when the saw is warm?

I haven't noticed any problems, never had a starting problem with it.
I agree. If Mastermind says start in choke thats what Ill do

I interpreted this to mean that is was OK to start a warm saw from the "Run" position.

"After the saw is turned off, the control lever immediately moves back into the operating position. Meaning the tool, once warmed up, can be restarted any time."

I interpreted this to mean that is was OK to start a warm saw from the "Run" position.

"After the saw is turned off, the control lever immediately moves back into the operating position. Meaning the tool, once warmed up, can be restarted any time."
My 441c is 3 position off/run/start but my 362c is momentary off/run/start

OK, That comment was from 362 C literature. Maybe they are different. I've never had any starting issues, have you?

Although I do see they recommend letting the saw idle a little before shutting it down to cool the components.

Latest posts

Back