Stihl 270, Husqvarna 350 or 353?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"The fact that it is a Stihl makes it a non pro saw!"

Wow! I was always told that Stihl was the best out there....doesn't seem to be many Stihl likers on this site...kinda got me wondering what the deal is, I see tons of them with large construction crews, road crews, loggers, etc. Are most of these users in the world just not sitting in front of their computer here at this site or are Stihls really not a quality saw as I've always been told?

A lot of members are fans of Stihl, a lot, myself included, don't care, as long as it's a good saw, and then the Husky/JRed guys lately. Well, they just seem to be making the most noise.

Wow! I was always told that Stihl was the best out there....doesn't seem to be many Stihl likers on this site...kinda got me wondering what the deal is, I see tons of them with large construction crews, road crews, loggers, etc. Are most of these users in the world just not sitting in front of their computer here at this site or are Stihls really not a quality saw as I've always been told?

All the top brands (Husky, Jred, Stihl and Dolmar) have some excellent, some very good, some good, and some not-so-good models.....:yoyo: :yoyo:

Neither brand is "generally" better than any of the others.

Last edited:
Let's put this one to bed. On that list, I would get the 353 first, the 350 second, and the 270 third....and I'm a Stihl guy. Go to a MS260, and we've got some thinking to do.

Mark

Bah! Go read around and that should put that statement to rest. Fact is, the 270 is more pro than most of the same cc saws that claim to be, far as I'm concerned its a manufacturer's pizzen match for what they call their saws, its up to the user to, um, use it as they see fit. Just because it is listed as an intermediate saw makes it no less reliable imho, maybe slightly less 'tuned', dunno, don't care, like mine, so there.

:cheers:

Serge

Mine does leak just like Tom's, but then, it's got a few miles on it. I'll get around to fixin' it . . . . . . . . . . . eventually.

Just an update if anyone was keeping score, turns out my oil adjust screw is not leaking oil. Just looked like it was as it migrated around. Turns out it's doing the "burbling out the little vent between the bar studs" thing, especially at idle and after shutdown. Not sure there's much I can do to remedy that short of cracking the cap, but I can't complain about not getting enough oil on things. :laugh:

Just an update if anyone was keeping score, turns out my oil adjust screw is not leaking oil. Just looked like it was as it migrated around. Turns out it's doing the "burbling out the little vent between the bar studs" thing, especially at idle and after shutdown. Not sure there's much I can do to remedy that short of cracking the cap, but I can't complain about not getting enough oil on things. :laugh:

Good to see your pump is not leaking after all. I don't wish bad luck on anyone, not even you RR,:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

I think everyone [sensible] will agree the 350 is lower quality as it is a consumer saw and is marketed as such. So thats not the best [quality produced] saw.

The specs for the 027 and 353 are similar. Both are in the 50cc range. Both weigh around 5kg. Both will be running .325" chain. Both are recommended to run up to a 20" bar.

IF these are your choices: I believe it comes down to your expectations of how your saw should perform. To separate the two remaining saws I look at the Kw/Hp produced per displacement. The saw that makes more Kw/Hp per displacement (027) will have a higher cutting speed. The saw that makes the least Kw/Hp per displacement (353) will sustain its [slower] cutting speed longer.

So, depending on how much you are going to make the saw work as to which saw would best suit your needs or preference. The 027 may cut fastest up to a certain cut length or in softwood of comparable size. But the 353 may be fastest over this certain size or in comparable hardwood. However, both are in the 50cc range, and are comparable saws. So...whats your preference???

Here is my opinion guys. Who has a better reasoning, or would like to strike me down???

I had a discussion recently with my local dealer concerning these very chainsaws and he had a quick take on them. He said they were all capable saws but the stihl 270 had a certain feel to him which he said was hard to describe. His perception was the 270 just feels right to him and he says no other saw in this class has that same intangible.

Last edited:
Depends to whom you are referring.

There is a lot of noise here. Some really like Echo's :D

Yeah, but you are one of the "nice" Johnny guys....there are others....they know who they are. Then there are the Husky guys, they know who they are. Then there are the Stihl guys.......

SawTroll got it right. Lots of good saws. Heck, I'm a "Stihl Guy" and I own two Huskys and only one Stihl at this point. WTF is the problem?

Mark

Yeah, but you are one of the "nice" Johnny guys....there are others....they know who they are. Then there are the Husky guys, they know who they are. Then there are the Stihl guys.......

SawTroll got it right. Lots of good saws. Heck, I'm a "Stihl Guy" and I own two Huskys and only one Stihl at this point. WTF is the problem?

Mark

Well you need to sell them all and buy some F'ing.........

ECHO'S instead!!!!!!:heart:

attachment.php

Screw Echo Andy..........Black and Decker is the way to go!!!!

Back