Stihl 440 Dogs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DonnerParty

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I am looking for a set of oversized felling dogs for my Stihl MS440 Magnum. Something that will dig in nicely in large, thick-barked pine and fir. Neither of my local shops have anything that fit, and my Stihl dealer, who is normally excellent with parts, was not sure what would fit and/or what to order.

Will the double dog set from the 461R fit? Bailey's has a set that is listed for this saw, but they are black, and I would prefer raw. There are a few choices on ebay, but it's hard to tell what the quality is like. I will also need the cover-bolts.

Thanks in advance!

Rob

Send Metals406 a private message and he'll help ya out with pics and questions.

I got the stihl ones on my 044. little pricy but I like them. do some google search you can get some. im shure the one you get from
metals406 are good. I read the thread. I am sheet metal guy too. good material he is using probably better than what stihl uses., if I didn't have any I would get some from him.

Looking at the Spare Parts list it looks like:
Clutch Cover side Spike is # 11226640501
Case side Spike is #11226640506
Roller Chain Catcher is #1126507700

Also, I do not know if the larger spikes will fit on a normal clutch cover or if you need the larger clutch cover but here is the part number for the larger clutch cover #11226480403.

I know for my 460 there is a package part number that included the Larger Clutch cover, Larger Clutch Cover Spike & Roller Chain Catcher. However that package part number dies NOT include the Case side Spike which also need to be ordered separately. I imagine there is a package part number for a 440 as well, though I do not know how to locate it.

Finally, I am not a dealer, just a guy with a lot of information at his hands and some time to look it up. Your dealer (or maybe someone here) should be able to verify my part numbers for you.

-n

Send Metals406 a private message and he'll help ya out with pics and questions.

Thanks Mike. I'll do that.

I got the stihl ones on my 044. little pricy but I like them. do some google search you can get some. im shure the one you get from
metals406 are good. I read the thread. I am sheet metal guy too. good material he is using probably better than what stihl uses., if I didn't have any I would get some from him.

Thanks for the info. The pics I could find of his do look good.

Looking at the Spare Parts list it looks like:
Clutch Cover side Spike is # 11226640501
Case side Spike is #11226640506
Roller Chain Catcher is #1126507700

Also, I do not know if the larger spikes will fit on a normal clutch cover or if you need the larger clutch cover but here is the part number for the larger clutch cover #11226480403.

I know for my 460 there is a package part number that included the Larger Clutch cover, Larger Clutch Cover Spike & Roller Chain Catcher. However that package part number dies NOT include the Case side Spike which also need to be ordered separately. I imagine there is a package part number for a 440 as well, though I do not know how to locate it.

Finally, I am not a dealer, just a guy with a lot of information at his hands and some time to look it up. Your dealer (or maybe someone here) should be able to verify my part numbers for you.

-n

Excellent. Thanks so much for the parts numbers. Not sure why my dealer couldn't find that for me, but that makes it a lot easier! I'll price those out, too.

I dug up my receipts. For my 460 it cost me:
# 11286401708 - $99.79 - Large Clutch Cover, Large Clutch Cover Spike, Roller Catcher, Screws
# 11226640506 - $18.99 - Case Side Spike

If you just want the larger dual spikes the you could order your 440 version of the Inner and Outer Spikes for roughly $18.99 each. My only concern is what clutch cover you have and if it is drilled for the Large Outer Spike or if you would have to buy a new clutch cover too. And if you wanted to run a single spike, just the Large Inner Spike would only cost you $18.99 and you're done.

-n

Great info. Thank you!

I'm not sure which clutch cover I have. It is pre-drilled. Spacing of the holes is 2 7/16" O.C.

I might just run the single. That might work fine. I've been running the stock spike for years, but it has always done poorly in the big bark. It has been irritating me lately.

The spikes will fit the clutch cover. M5 bolts from the hardware store will save you money over the stihl ones that are the same thing. Just get a lock nut and use a dab of blue lock tite on them. The spikes metals makes are very nice. I've got 2 sets right now.

Here you go...MS440

#1122 664 0506 Case side Bumper spike
#1122 664 0501 Cover side Bumper Spike
#1122 650 7700 Roller Chain catch

Give me a minute and I'll attach the IPL pages. There are screws and such, but why pay $2 for a 10 cent screw??

Last edited:
http://www.arboristsite.com/communi...re-of-the-year-044.248856/page-2#post-4613996

Look at post #32, nice dogs on the small clutch cover. Ask Brad and re-post here, I need to know as well :D.

Those look great. Thanks. I will ask Brad what type are on there.

The spikes will fit the clutch cover. M5 bolts from the hardware store will save you money over the stihl ones that are the same thing. Just get a lock nut and use a dab of blue lock tite on them. The spikes metals makes are very nice. I've got 2 sets right now.

Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like a plan.

Back