Stihl 441 M-Tronic

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
THALL had some commentary about this system in a post in the last couple of weeks, something to the effect on how it was totally controlled by a chip programmed much like that on a late model car/truck. I believe it is his opinion that it will not support modding at all. I can see someone writing programs to flash the chip with like on current cars for performance upgrades.
It'll only be a matter of time before someone figures out how to do it.

THALL had some commentary about this system in a post in the last couple of weeks, something to the effect on how it was totally controlled by a chip programmed much like that on a late model car/truck. I believe it is his opinion that it will not support modding at all. I can see someone writing programs to flash the chip with like on current cars for performance upgrades.
It'll only be a matter of time before someone figures out how to do it.

I doubt there will be any any interface with with to reprogram them. I would expect it to be a completely sealed unit.

Hold on to your old saws, soon all the new saws will have M-Tronic or Auto Tune.
From what I've read the new 562xp will have Auto Tune

I think the IEM coil has variable ignition timing that varies from retarded to advanced, depending on RPMS. At slow rpms it's retards the timing to make starting easier, and at higher rpms it advances the timing to make maximum power. I'm not sure if this is what's on the 441 C-M or not.

I'm just paraphrasing what I read in one of my Stihl tech. books

If this is anything like when the powersports industry went to EFI, which it may not be, the general consensus was that EFI would make it impossible to mod even the exhaust on the machines. Actually, the programmed fuel injection compensates quite well for minor mods (pipe, port and polish, airbox) using data from the sensors in the system. Let's hope the systems on these saws are able to do the same. Seldom do I feel that a PCM or other ancilliary type FI programmer is a good addition- Reliability suffers.

Last edited:
With enough time and money someone here will crack it. Actually it intrigues me because im kinda an EFI nut.

EFI is one of the reasons that modern sportbikes make nearly 200hp/liter. Not to mention the fact that they will reliably start when the temp drops below 40 deg., something that carbureted bikes struggled to do. There will be a learning period for the OEMs, but they will get it dialed.

If the only feedback is RPM, then I see no way that it will work for a ported saw. MM yes, but ported no. A ported saw is going to be pig rich at factory WOT RPMs.

Check the link i posted, according to the review it uses solenoids to adjust carb to match temperature(not sure if its exhaust or ambient or both) altitude and air flow into engine, so porting might be possible.

I think it just is monitoring engine speed and if it goes over a set point richens under it will lean

If it can compensate for altitude, then it must have a MAP sensor, or some method of sensing air density. Maybe air flow, need more info. Anyway, it is able to adjust automatically, at least w/in limits. Don't get nervous, modders, this is a good step in the right direction. Now that EFI is common in the powersports industry, there is NO talk of changing to a carb. 3D fuel and Ignition maps are a GOOD thing. I doubt these will be a closed loop system anytime soon. Then you can worry.

Porting to match, polish, straighten, etc is increasing flow but this makes the system work better on the LTR's I port (EFI race quads) Guy's that own and operate these that I've built come back to tell me the factory teams are surprised when they are losing the holeshot to my motors. MIld port and polish, 13.5:1 J&E, piped. STOCK EFI

If it can compensate for altitude, then it must have a MAP sensor, or some method of sensing air density. Maybe air flow, need more info.

Probably still just a function of the built in tach. As you go higher in elevation, air becomes thinner, and the saw will go rich, lowering the RPMs. Same thing when going down in elevation. The the tune will go lean and the RPMs will rise, requiring that the carb be tuner richer. I highly doubt there's anything besides a tach in it. I believe the temp senson only monitors ambient temps for choke funtionality.

That's not what I hope is the case, but you very well could be right, Brad. Eventually, the way things go, the systems will evolve, I think, and become more advanced/ intelligent. Meantime, if it is as you say, a simple carb and coil may be a better way to go for our purposes.

Back