Stihl 460 on ebay

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

docbar85

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Does anybody know anything about this fellow selling 460's on ebay. He has about 4 on there now and at least a dozen in the past. I don't see any feedback when it comes to this saw which is what concerns me. ferraribrian is the seller I.D.

If, as he claims, he bought it for his business, how can it have the full 90 warranty? The warranty period began the day he bought it, right?

In my experience, warranty registration is always handled by the selling dealer, so how can this warranty be transfered? It's not just a simple matter of filling out a blank warranty card.

Do you think there is a chance he may not be shipping? I'm not to concerned with the warranty even though it is questionable. Wonder if the business he mentioned was actually a saw business.

You can always request it be shipped C.O.D. Both FexEx and UPS have COD service. I am surprised more people don't use when dealing with online purchases from sellers they don't know.

This guy's been selling 460's and 390's on ebay for quite a while now. I even thought about buying a 460 from him, but I just saw too many red flags. First of all the whole dealer/internet sales/warrantee thing. He hasn't always had that disclaimer of buying too many saws for his business and that he's not a dealer, which led one to believe that he was. Now he has it, OK. Next red flag, he's been doing this for several months now. Exactly how many saws did he buy? Twenty of each? He sure seems to have an unlimited supply of saws. Maybe they aren't selling and he's reposting them. That's a possibility. The other thing I didn't like was his demeanor. Just some of his verbage kinda rubbed me the wrong way. I also didn't like the fact that he didn't have actual pictures of the saw he was selling, but rather, just a pic off of Stihl's website. I'd bet that you'd probably end up with a bona fide 460, but I wouldn't buy into anything else as far as warrantee or where he got the saw from. If you've got concerns or suspicions about an auction, that's probably a good indicator of what to do...

My disclaimer:
ferraribrian, if you're a member here, or you're reading this, I don't mean to badmouth you, but this gent asked about your auction, so I'm just giving my opinion, and why I didn't buy from you. That, and I like buying from my dealer! :blob2:

Jeff

I have a feeling this guy is buying them from a dealer as they are bought off of ebay. It may be that it is a dealer is using someone to get around Stihls rules or just a guy gettting a good deal. I have to say that I buy stihls all the time from the local dealers and resell them to guys around the country who do not have the deals we get. Madsens has been keeping the prices locally in the basement for a long time and quite often I can buy one from here and ship it cheaper than they can buy it at their local shop. Hard to say, but looking at this guys feedbacks he looks ok. The sales pitch is most likely to keep stihl off his dealers butt. I have one dealer that will only sell me 6 saws a year so as not to draw attention to themselves and get their butt in a sling. Just a thought on this is all.

I have been watching those saws on Ebay the last month or so, trying to buy a 460. What I was seeing was the reserve was the $649.95 buy it now price. On a few of the saws I bid up to $640.00 and did not meet the reserve. After the auction had ended, with the reserve not being met, two days later you would see him advertising again, this went on for about a month, then he lowered the reserve one at a time and wasn't placing a "Buy It Now" on these saws, I think he actually sold those saws. I too, was a little put off by his "tone" in his writing, I'm sure he is legit and you would get a new saw. I personally like to give my hard earned money to friendly, considerate people, that appreciate your business. Just my observations.

Thanks everyone for the constructive feedback. I think I will take a chance. I plan to pay with my credit card so there will be some chance of getting my money back if things go sour. I will post some follow ups as things progress, or, if they don't.haha.

fwf said:
You can always request it be shipped C.O.D. Both FexEx and UPS have COD service. I am surprised more people don't use when dealing with online purchases from sellers they don't know.
seller can load bricks in Package and you can't inspect until you pay :D

I kind of like the way Stihl does things with the saws protecting the local dealers. We have 5 or 6 local dealers to choose from and they all have plenty of business to go around. If somebody wants to buy from this guy they might get a great deal....and I hope you do, but I personally would support the local dealer or buy a used saw.

For the people that where considering bidding on this sellers merchandise, please don't ! I Just got reimbursed $460 from pay-pal for a saw that was won on Sept 22 and never shipped. He auctions off saws that he does not have in his possession, it's as simple as that! I'd say he's working with a less than scrupulous Stihl dealer who's splitting the profit with him while undermining his own shop :angry: ! I think his Stihl connection dried up and now he can't meet his commitments.

Jeff

You can e-mail him and ask if he will 'Escrow'. EBAY allows you (for a fee) to have an independent 3rd person hold the check for a agrred upon time. You get to check the product out and if it is as described you give the OK to send the check. Check with EBAY for exact details

Guess I should of done my research first...

As I bought and paid for a 260 from this guy over 10 ago, and now he has dissappeared, Looks like the previous analysis was right on.

Looks like his supplier/dealer has run out of inventory, and he has not only sold items he doesn't have in stock, but ones he can't get...

Live and learn,

15857 said:
As I bought and paid for a 260 from this guy over 10 ago, and now he has dissappeared, Looks like the previous analysis was right on.

Looks like his supplier/dealer has run out of inventory, and he has not only sold items he doesn't have in stock, but ones he can't get...

Live and learn,

That sucks! Hopefully you PayPal`d him using a credit card? You will probably be successful in getting your money back if so. You will have to file a complaint with both eBay and PayPal to get the ball rolling and then after a few days contact your credit card company and demand a charge back against PayPal. This is what I had to do but I was successful. Otherwise eBay and PayPal are very good at playing dumb and ignoring you.

Russ

Back