stihl 500i

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I could be wrong, but most guys porting saws are looking to make them have that on off lightning fast acceleration. Even good stock saws should have good snappy acceleration, that was part of the idea behind revboost on the 550xp and 562xp. The quicker the better IMHO, I see zero negative with fast acceleration, that's what a good running saw will have. This is the first time I've ever heard anyone look at this as a negative, first time for everything.[emoji111]

I could be wrong, but most guys porting saws are looking to make them have that on off lightning fast acceleration. Even good stock saws should have good snappy acceleration, that was part of the idea behind revboost on the 550xp and 562xp. The quicker the better IMHO, I see zero negative with fast acceleration, that's what a good running saw will have. This is the first time I've ever heard anyone look at this as a negative, first time for everything.[emoji111]
There's no end to the learning!

I'm not wanting to put a downer on the saw or put any negative vibes out, its just my own personal experience, the saw is very light and the acceleration seems very off and on without much in between. I must add I am a bit of an old timer on the saws and my best years were cutting with Stihls (038 era )when they had lower revs and low down manageable grunt. I suppose its what you are used to and having suffered a serious kickback resulting in a cut through the kneecap twenty five years ago, I'm just thankful it wasn't a 500i as I probably wouldn't be here now!

I see no difference in danger at all IMHO, and I much prefer a fast accelerating saw. Exhaust tone is also deceiving and can make a saw sound slow or fast. An 038 revs plenty fast, but they sound different than most of the saws now. A saw with more torque can give really nasty pushback if you get pinched real fast, a gear drive being the worst offenders. And to be honest, a slow spinning chain wants to grab more than a faster spinning chain, but yes there will be more energy as the speed goes up. There's also a very good reason chainsaw chaps exist, and they do work. Really if you pay attention kickback is most always preventable, saws are dangerous by nature. But to each their own, run what you feel comfortable with.[emoji111]

If the saw is 1/2 of what the expectations are, it’ll be surprising.
I wonder how well the recoil is going to hold up in a chain saw application.

The things I see tree service help do to equipment is criminal. The saw may just be excellent. But it’s crash worthiness
Is questionable. That’s my main point.

Latest posts

Back