Stihl av 28 wood boss assembly question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ba_50

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Can't remember where this washer and eclip go. A diagram shows it going on the top of bearing but doesn't look right nor does the clip look big enough. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_1241.JPG
    IMG_1241.JPG
    462.8 KB · Views: 42
Seriously?

I do hope that needle cage isn't the one that supposed to be installed in the drum ...

If (in the pic) you remove the cage, drop the washer over the exposed shaft end, then install the clip.

AHA!

O boy ... :( .. that's the w-i-d-e cage for use with the w-i-d-e spur sprocket setup.

You need the narrow cage to fit the drum you have.

Once you have the cage thing sorted out, the washer and clip will be a no-brainer.

I've hacked up your pic a bit .... the yellow X is the visible portion of the drum (the rest is under that plastic cover) ... the white X is the visible portion of the needle cage .... see how there's another row of needles peeking out of there?

They are all the original parts. I took it apart to check the CS seals and left it sitting long enough to forget how it went back together. One of those "simple" things, ya know? I had the drum figured out and if you would have said needle bearings than that would have clicked.

I popped the drum off and the cage went all the way in but I had to use lube otherwise it would push back out. The only groove is below the sprocket so the big snap ring doesn't have one?

Back