stihl chaps

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meangreen92lx

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Looking at the new 7 layer Stihl chaps. Anyone have anything bad to say about them ? The 7 layer seems like a nice compromise between the 6 layer and 9 layer chaps. Are the labonville 6 layer better? I'm also looking at the stihl helmet. Any other suggestions?

OWN THE labonville 6 layer because the factory for stihl chaps burnt down and i didnt want to wait. I love my labonville chaps. Own a stihl helmet the orange one with the screen face shield and love that also. Both are a very good investment for the money. Just a note when i ordered my chaps i ordered them 8" longer than my std inseam and fit perfect!

I've got the Stihl ones and like them. But.... Fortunately, I've never had the opportunity to 'try them out', so to speak. They make me feel safer, though. But I can't wait to get them worn in a little more so they're not quite so orange.....

labonville

I have the labonville chaps and they're awesome. I ordered them a little long for full coverage. You really forget that you're wearing them...except for the fact that there's a bright orange layer over your jeans. They seem thick enough to do the job, especially when working with a 50cc saw.

I dont remember exactly what I paid--but it was definitely reasonable.

If you can find one, consider the peltor helmet--especially when you're working in the rain. One of the stihl dealers around me carries the peltor helmets--they're a little more expensive, but he liked them a lot more. I've been very happy with that as well. Peltor is an immense name in safety equipment. They even own AOSafety, which is all over the big box stores like Home Chepot.

I have a pair of the Labonville 10 layer comp chaps, very impressive, but warm. I will likely be ordering another pair in the lighter weight 6 layer for extremely warm weather.

Also, check out Labonville for the helmet as well. They have a really nice one for $25 made by Gripo... I have zero complaints about it either. In fact, I'll be ordering another one of these as well.

I wear stihl chaps and helmet system and am happy with both. I really don't think it's much of a debate--they all do the job when used and not sitting in the truck!

I think I read that peltor makes the Stihl helmet? And swedepro makes Stihls chaps? Just wondering if Stihls chaps are as safe as the Labonvilles. I wouldn't be concerned too much with the MS260 cutting thru the chaps but the 440 is another story. If they are good enough to stop the 440 then they are good enough for me.:)

Labonville comp (10 layer), comfortable and well made (AND MADE IN THE USA). A bit warm in the summer, cozy in the winter. Mine have taken a beating (brush, mud, pine pitch, sticker bush, etc) and no wear, just dirty. Hard hat -- I have a very old Peltor (it's o.k., only 4 point webbing, get the 6 point). I need a vented one tho. In summer my head sweats so much I can pour water out of the muffs. I don't know of any other system (haven't looked latey) except the one Baileys sells that is vented. A bit pricey tho. I've been waiting to get into the black to buy one but with the current cost of doing bussiness, ------well winter is coming and I wont need a vented HH until spring.

my 2 cents worth

Later,

Chaps

I just bought the Labonville chaps, I bought a pair for myself, and a pair for my father. The determining factors for me was cost, and color. I bought the forest green chaps (I didn't want to be seen from a mile away in the orange ones). I'm not a professional, just a homeowner, but I decided that it would be a good idea to have a little more protection, especially with the bigger saws now that I'm heating with wood full time.

I was also impressed with the video on the Labonville website where they tested the chaps against other brands. I don't know where stihl fit in in all of that, but the Labonvilles looked like they'd do the job.

As others have stated, I bought mine a little long. They measure by TOTAL LENGTH. I measured from the top of my belt to my instep and the fit was perfect. I wear a 30" inseam, but ordered the 34" chaps. I'm looking forward to giving them a try within the next month or so!

Okay, done rambling.. I hope maybe something in there helped someone..

Stihl does brand Peltor helmets, and yes their chaps are made by SwedePro. I sell both SwedePro and Labonville chaps, and find that many people prefer the SwedePro because they are lighter and less restrictive. From all that I have read, the Engtex material that SwedePro uses in their 6 layer chaps is just as effective as the poly/Kevlar mix that Labonville uses. The main difference between the two is that Labonville uses 1000 Cordura on both sides of the chaps. This is great for durability, but leads to a more restrictive chap. I find most of my customers prefer SwedePro because they are a bit more comfortable.

Anyone with experience (everyday use, or "incident") with Elvex chaps? (Why does that name make me wanna say "Thankyouverymuuuuch"?) They claim to have eight layers, and a material called Prolar, which, they claim, is more specifically designed to stop a chain than Kevlar. And they say that Prolar expands, and thus becomes more effective, with washing, the opposite effect to kevlar. Hype, or reality; anyone know?

Just my 2cents, bought the Stihl 9 layer chaps for my dad (i use them more than him). They have great features like full wrap around ankle coverage. The 9 layer version is comfortable but you can feel the extra bulk- nothing that slows you down or is bothersome. I've cut all day with them and by the end of the day you forget you're wearing them.

Looks like to me in the pics, the SwedePro chaps have more calf protection than the Labonville. I'm thinking about the SwedePro pants.

The SwedePro chaps do wrap the calf better than the Labonville chaps. The pants are on back order right now. I have several pairs ordered, but have not seen them yet.

I like the wrap-around chaps for protection around the calf - mine happen to be the Husqvarna's.

Two tips - try them on if you can, like at a shop, and consider a pair of suspenders. Some brands fit differently, and you want a pair that is comfortable so that you are inclined to actually wear them.

". . consider the peltor helmet--especially when you're working in the rain. One of the stihl dealers around me carries the peltor helmets--they're a little more expensive, but he liked them a lot more."

The Peltor and Petzl helmets are sold through the arborist supply places, like Sherrill Tree (www.wtsherrill.com), Baileys (http://www.baileysonline.com), and others who sell to the tree climbers.

Philbert

Back