Stihl clutch removal?? HELP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike68

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I dont have the clutch removal tool /locking strip required to remove the clutch. Is there any thing else I can use? I have basic tools ie screwdrivers, spanners etc.
Many thanks to all who have helped me out so far.
Mike.

I took a spare socket and cut three prongs on it that would fit between the shoes.
I used paper to get an impression of the shoes and used that to get a rough cut on the prongs. Then fine tuned it to the clutch.

looking at the manual this is something you put down the spark plug chamber.
would a screwdriver do or would this scratch the piston?
Mike

looking at the manual this is something you put down the spark plug chamber.
would a screwdriver do or would this scratch the piston?
Mike

DO NOT USE A SCREWDRIVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Use a piece of rope, or I use a bungee cord but I repeat......DO NOT USE A SCREWDRIVER!!!!!!

Yes, use a piece of rope........also make sure piston is on it's way up
and piston is above ports before inserting rope.

I'm not sure what model stihl it is but if its like the 050 clutch I just used a hammer and punch, left hand thread (clockwise to undo).

Guess I wont use a screwdriver then!!! Have plenty of rope.......isn`t there a saying about giving someone enough rope!! keep getting it as gifts from my ex wife ha ha.
cheers will let you know how it goes.
Mike

alternative clutch tool

I dont have the clutch removal tool /locking strip required to remove the clutch. Is there any thing else I can use? I have basic tools ie screwdrivers, spanners etc.
Many thanks to all who have helped me out so far.
Mike.

I used a 3/4" six point socket today on my Stihl 044.

Remembering the sprocket/clutch nut on my Stihls are LEFT handed threads, I also use an impact gun to loosen the nuts. (Leave the spark plug in place)
*** HOWEVER *** Do NOT use an impact gun to tighten the nut when you put it back on. Many are made from aluminum and will strip out. (This was a safety feature to help the uninformed about left hand threads, from messing up the piston or threads on the crank shft while using a piston stop.)
If you tighten the nut to where it overcomes the compression of the engine, it will be tight enough. Using this as my reference, I have never stripped a nut. (I am sure there is a proper torque to use, but I couldn't tell you what it is.)

I wonder if this tread is still monitering. I have an 076 AV. I worked it on it a lot many hours a use and one rebuild on one of the two I have, but I can't remember if the Clutch slips on and off and just held by the nut, of the clutch is also threaded. I got the nut off with just the inpact. There is something odd as it is fixed but just wanted to throw this out there as I lost my window on time to fix today and hope some with a better memory has an idea.

I wonder if this tread is still monitering. I have an 076 AV. I worked it on it a lot many hours a use and one rebuild on one of the two I have, but I can't remember if the Clutch slips on and off and just held by the nut, of the clutch is also threaded. I got the nut off with just the inpact. There is something odd as it is fixed but just wanted to throw this out there as I lost my window on time to fix today and hope some with a better memory has an idea.

Perhaps would have been better to start your own thread rather than tag on to one from 2009!
But if you have the LHT nut off, the large washer and small spacer out- use a 3 jaw puller to pull the rest of the clutch assembly off of the crank tail.

That's the only way to fly, done hundreds and hundreds of them, no problem unless someone goes the wrong direction. OP is there a 19 MM nut on there?
see- this is why people should not dig up and tag on to old threads- if the original problem has not been solved in 15 years- we are not providing the correct information in replies! :laugh:

Perhaps would have been better to start your own thread rather than tag on to one from 2009!
But if you have the LHT nut off, the large washer and small spacer out- use a 3 jaw puller to pull the rest of the clutch assembly off of the crank tail.
Probally but I got replies so that's awesome. It was a quick question on a similar model and some of the replys way back seemed to have good sense and knowledge. From your reply it sounds like the clutch is not threaded which makes sense it has to spin. I'll get the puller and pull it off. I think I have one on the shelf to replace it, just have see what other damage occurred that it is not just sliding off.

I have the idea that slips on and off once the nut and washer is off.

see- this is why people should not dig up and tag on to old threads- if the original problem has not been solved in 15 years- we are not providing the correct information in replies! :laugh:
I had the nut off. I thought the replies were good which is why I let people know I had the nut off but wanted to ask if the clutch is threaded on or slips on and off and is held by the nut. I went to this as it had knowledgable replies. Some times better as a new thread can get 6 replies and six alerts only explaining they have never worked on one but a shop might know. Either way thanks for the responses.

Probally but I got replies so that's awesome. It was a quick question on a similar model and some of the replys way back seemed to have good sense and knowledge. From your reply it sounds like the clutch is not threaded which makes sense it has to spin. I'll get the puller and pull it off. I think I have one on the shelf to replace it, just have see what other damage occurred that it is not just sliding off.

I have the idea that slips on and off once the nut and washer is off.

It does not slip on- loose fit the crank- that is what supplies drive from engine crank to chain- you do not want anything loose in that chain of events.

Latest posts

Back