Stihl Contra Info Sharing Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pioneerguy 600, nice to see that the saw is getting the care it deserves. Knew it would when I contacted you. When the previous owners' son comes in I will ask if the heat shield is around anywhere. Never know, it may be. I also have a # for a guy at Stihl that may be able to help.

I thought that all the Contra/Lightning S, came with the bigger starter recoils that had the embossed Stihl logo. The S did not hit the market until 1964 I believe, that was after the old FM starters and the early logo starters that had less fins. I do believe that many loggers fitted 137cc top ends on their original 106cc Contra. Does the tag read 1106 or 1106s?

137 jug will not fit a 106 block.

This is the correct topper and starter for the S. Fins must bulge out and not in.

Hole in 106 Contra will not fit the 137 jug.

Cylinders will swap back and forth with newer blocks but the pistons have different port hieghts.

090 and contra S side by side.

Pioneerguy 600, nice to see that the saw is getting the care it deserves. Knew it would when I contacted you. When the previous owners' son comes in I will ask if the heat shield is around anywhere. Never know, it may be. I also have a # for a guy at Stihl that may be able to help.

That would be awesome if the heat shield was still around. I found a good deal of NOS parts for it today and have them headed my way. I pulled the flywheel and fixed up the points this evening, got strong blue spark now. Carb is all freed up and soaking for a while, it will go through the ULC and get a new kit, should be fine.Next I will pull the cylinder and clean everything in there up.

Here is a pic of the two different shrouds. The regular 106cc and the super 137cc. Of course these are 1109 and 1109s, but they will interchange with 1106 series:msp_wink:

View attachment 302848

Sorry that I'm not within 2,000 miles of my saws to help with some photos but this photo points out a very important distinction between the contra & Contra S shrouds. On the right is the S shroud and you can see it has an extra brown (fiberglass?) heat shield (upper right corner riveted in place). All shrouds for the S will have this as the shroud comes much closer to the plastic bonnet and would melt it without this heat shield.

Sorry that I'm not within 2,000 miles of my saws to help with some photos but this photo points out a very important distinction between the contra & Contra S shrouds. On the right is the S shroud and you can see it has an extra brown (fiberglass?) heat shield (upper right corner riveted in place). All shrouds for the S will have this as the shroud comes much closer to the plastic bonnet and would melt it without this heat shield.

They are pretty distinctive physically also with the S type having that big raised hump in the center to clear the cylinder on the S saw.

Picked this up today, it was in stock at a Stihl dealer as a non decompressed 090 Cylinder. View attachment 302936 also note the original type plug.

Here are some other variations in Contra parts that are unusual (at least to me)View attachment 302937 note the pin on top of the cylinder I imagine to help locate the shroud also the 2 round pieces cast into the cylinder above the exhaust port.

This rear handle is on another S I have and I have not seen another like it. It is all cast magnesium (no plastic grip) and is not at all like the usual 106 type handle.View attachment 302938

Picked this up today, it was in stock at a Stihl dealer as a non decompressed 090 Cylinder. View attachment 302936 also note the original type plug.

Here are some other variations in Contra parts that are unusual (at least to me)View attachment 302937 note the pin on top of the cylinder I imagine to help locate the shroud also the 2 round pieces cast into the cylinder above the exhaust port.

This rear handle is on another S I have and I have not seen another like it. It is all cast magnesium (no plastic grip) and is not at all like the usual 106 type handle.View attachment 302938

Love the Contra S rear handle! I have never seen one like it as well. Great find! Very interesting!

The 'S' with unusual handle is a early one, two piece con rod, three shoe clutch, it has no green tag or serial number stamped on the crank case near the spike! Also the shroud doesn't have rivet holes for the asbestos pad.

The 'S' with unusual handle is a early one, two piece con rod, three shoe clutch, it has no green tag or serial number stamped on the crank case near the spike! Also the shroud doesn't have rivet holes for the asbestos pad.

Think it could be a prototype since there is no serial number?

Lucky find on that jug and that rear handle is different , the grip has a real steep angle to it.

Yes its in very good condition, i bought it over the phone, when the guy said he had a non decom 66mm cylinder for 090.......huh!, then he said the plug fits on a angle.........i'll take it!! i'll be ringing him tomorrow and see if i can't buy the rest of that non decomp 090.

Yes its in very good condition, i bought it over the phone, when the guy said he had a non decom 66mm cylinder for 090.......huh!, then he said the plug fits on a angle.........i'll take it!! i'll be ringing him tomorrow and see if i can't buy the rest of that non decomp 090.

I find myself buying NOS parts that I don`t even need for this saw. Its just hard to pass up NOS parts for a saw this old. It would be great if the dealer did have the rest of the saw that belongs to that cylinder. Parts source or another rebuilder, win-win.

Back