Stihl Contra Info Sharing Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I find myself buying NOS parts that I don`t even need for this saw. Its just hard to pass up NOS parts for a saw this old. It would be great if the dealer did have the rest of the saw that belongs to that cylinder. Parts source or another rebuilder, win-win.

If he's got the rest of the saw, i think i'll pull off a hand stand! and if theres a shroud, well i feel a back flip is in order:msp_scared:

Sorry that I'm not within 2,000 miles of my saws to help with some photos but this photo points out a very important distinction between the contra & Contra S shrouds. On the right is the S shroud and you can see it has an extra brown (fiberglass?) heat shield (upper right corner riveted in place). All shrouds for the S will have this as the shroud comes much closer to the plastic bonnet and would melt it without this heat shield.

Actually not all S shrouds have the fiber pad on them. Here are 3 NOS shrouds.

Notice the extra hole on top of cover on left, not sure what that was for.

I sold my last shroud last winter.

Early contra S may also have the smaller 3 shoe clutch.

I checked the 070/ 090 and the contra/lightning manuals both use the same part #993 0900 for the bearings.

Thanks,..I figured they would as there seems to be little if any change in crankshaft design between them My Media Cat has the 070 and 090`s on it but not the Contras. The two bearings are worth more than I paid for the saw....LOL

If the saw is a very early model it will have a two piece conrod with a replaceable big end bearing like thisView attachment 303148 The hard casing on the rollers on this one is damaged, These bearings are NLA.

Mine has the two piece rod and bearings like that, they are in good shape. The main crank bearings seem a little stiff but they might come around with some lube on them.

Can any one tell me if contra rings are the same as 070/ms720 rings? The Greek lists just one ring for the contra and 2 for the 070 which are 58 x1.5mm

Yes, you are correct. The Contra and 070 share the same rings, 58mm. All of the Contras that I have seen have had 2 rings.

I've just compared some NOS 58mm Contra rings and OEM 070 rings.

Contra = 58 X 2 mm...... and they are spot on 2mm thick!

070 = 58 X 1.4 mm.

Also check old some old Contra/lightning/gear-drive manuals, and came up with three different part numbers for the rings!

I've just fitted the OEM 070 rings to the Contra piston and they show .022 thou (0.55mm) clearence in the ring land(groove).

the OEM 2mm Contra rings are a snug fit!...... The 070 rings on the Contra piston will stay within the indexing pins if used.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Anyone have Contra/Lighting with this style of recoil housing?View attachment 309214It has a embossed log-logo, larger spacing between the fins like the FM type, but no rope roller, this style is featured throughou't the old manuals, though i've never actually seen one.

309214d1376404421-stihl-contra-starter-006-jpg

Here's a plate I put together some time ago showing the differences in my Contra's starter covers. The one you have pictured is different from all of mine?
attachment.php

View attachment 309220

The very last Contras had a riveted on emblem like the early 070/090...
View attachment 309351
The left one in this pic (also has the same crankcase as the 070/090)

Hello and welcome!

The saw on the left, do you know it's crankcase part numbers? Does the saw have a recess in the left case for the lower muffler mount and a muffler with the corresponding mount?

Anyone have Contra/Lighting with this style of recoil housing?View attachment 309214It has a embossed log-logo, larger spacing between the fins like the FM type, but no rope roller, this style is featured throughou't the old manuals, though i've never actually seen one.
Yes, I have a Contra with this type starter. I believe this type starter was right after the FM starters. Then they went to a starter with more fins.

Latest posts

Back