Stihl Contra Info Sharing Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello and welcome!

The saw on the left, do you know it's crankcase part numbers? Does the saw have a recess in the left case for the lower muffler mount and a muffler with the corresponding mount?

Thanks for the welcome!
This was the only pic I could find - I will take some more, also of my other Contras, when I have a chance. The crankcase does not have the green riveted type label like the regular Contras have at the front and just looks like the case of my 070s. I suspect they were producing the last Contras along with the first 070 for marketing reasons and/or to use up parts stocked.

Thanks for the welcome!
This was the only pic I could find - I will take some more, also of my other Contras, when I have a chance. The crankcase does not have the green riveted type label like the regular Contras have at the front and just looks like the case of my 070s. I suspect they were producing the last Contras along with the first 070 for marketing reasons and/or to use up parts stocked.

Hi SEAM and welcome to AS. Looks like you have some interesting old Stihls.

I took the liberty of downloading your pic and opening up the shadows some to get a better view. Looks to me like the saw on the left might be an S or at least have a later starter cover. Here's the pic...

View attachment 309519

Last edited:
At what point did they stop using them? And are there any similar bearings to replace them?

I've only ever seen those bearing in Contra/Lightings, though they are listed in the early 070/090 manual (page 14).

Some Outboard motor still use this type of bearing!............ so maybe there is a non OEM replacement.

I've only ever seen those bearing in Contra/Lightings, though they are listed in the early 070/090 manual (page 14).

Some Outboard motor still use this type of bearing!............ so maybe there is a non OEM replacement.

Cheers, as the base of the saw (previously a lightning) has this crank, and was stamped '69 on the muffler

Thanks for the welcome!

Dose the cylinder on your saw look like this?

OK - first of all, I do not have a Contra "S" (unfortunately :msp_sad:)...

I dug out three of the newer Contras today to clarify:

View attachment 309529
View attachment 309530
- This is the oldest of the three: old crankcase w/ green plate, newer Contra starter, 6-digit serial (31 39 13)

View attachment 309531
- This AV is somewhere in the middle: new crankcase w/ additional muffler bolt thread, w/o green plate, newer Contra starter, 7-digit serial (110 30 40 - my camera went on strike after the first close-up)

View attachment 309532
- This is the newest of the three: new crankcase w/ additional muffler bolt thread, w/o green plate, starter same as on early 070/090, 7-digit serial (112 65 76)

PS: The newer crankcase should accommodate both the regular and the "S" cylinder/piston

Last edited:
SEAM, that's a good point! Re: the machining of the later Contra, if the factory had tooled up for the 070/090, maybe your right!
I have only one saw with the lower muffler mount and it's a runner, so i don't have a case to check!

So what's your project? :msp_unsure:

Most of the components on the top half of the saw were worn out, the cylinder had a small piece out over the muffler, which had blown the gasket, half the gaskets around the carb had perished, the air filter body had holes in it, the cylinder cowl has pretty much worn anything it has touched, the plastic cover had melted and the clutch/drive was wrecked.
I contacted stihl for advice and help, and was catagorically told all those parts were obsolete, it doesn't have a chainbrake, I should scrap it. So I asked if the 070/090 parts would fit, they then told me the bases were the same number but that's all they could.

So I ordered a lot of AM parts, a lot of OEM parts, and so I made my mule saw, it runs, I've still got to break the engine in, then it's sole purpose will be to run an Alaskan saw mill

Most of the components on the top half of the saw were worn out, the cylinder had a small piece out over the muffler, which had blown the gasket, half the gaskets around the carb had perished, the air filter body had holes in it, the cylinder cowl has pretty much worn anything it has touched, the plastic cover had melted and the clutch/drive was wrecked.
I contacted stihl for advice and help, and was catagorically told all those parts were obsolete, it doesn't have a chainbrake, I should scrap it. So I asked if the 070/090 parts would fit, they then told me the bases were the same number but that's all they could.

So I ordered a lot of AM parts, a lot of OEM parts, and so I made my mule saw, it runs, I've still got to break the engine in, then it's sole purpose will be to run an Alaskan saw mill

Sounds great!!.... Can we see some pics?

View attachment 309541 this is it just after I got it
View attachment 309542 old cylinder and piston (which I have boxed up with the other components)
View attachment 309543 new AM 090 C&P
View attachment 309544 I had to thread the rear pins with an m6 die (had to cut it down so I could cut between the pins)
View attachment 309545 this is with the cylinder fitted, I used gasket sealant on the base, and stuck with the hl112c carb. Had to advance the timing slightly as I nearly blew a window out when it misfired
I fitted an AM cover and muffler from huztl, AM air filter, OEM carb elbow I had sent from Germany, OEM clutch, clutch drum, gaskets and starter ring from my local dealer, although I found that to start, the decompression valve MUST be held down or the starter ring last 3-5 starts

View attachment 309541 this is it just after I got it
View attachment 309542 old cylinder and piston (which I have boxed up with the other components)
View attachment 309543 new AM 090 C&P
View attachment 309544 I had to thread the rear pins with an m6 die (had to cut it down so I could cut between the pins)
View attachment 309545 this is with the cylinder fitted, I used gasket sealant on the base, and stuck with the hl112c carb. Had to advance the timing slightly as I nearly blew a window out when it misfired
I fitted an AM cover and muffler from huztl, AM air filter, OEM carb elbow I had sent from Germany, OEM clutch, clutch drum, gaskets and starter ring from my local dealer, although I found that to start, the decompression valve MUST be held down or the starter ring last 3-5 starts

Well, it looks like the original cylinder was 58mm, looking at your new cylinder it appears to be a 66mm, judging by the decomp lever!
your saw seems to have late model crankcase(lower muffler mount) with early starter, if you have managed to fit the larger cylinder without any machining, thats very interesting indeed!!

Well, it looks like the original cylinder was 58mm, looking at your new cylinder it appears to be a 66mm, judging by the decomp lever!
your saw seems to have late model crankcase(lower muffler mount) with early starter, if you have managed to fit the larger cylinder without any machining, thats very interesting indeed!!

I assume the crankcase must have been replaced at some point, as there is no ID tags on the saw, and with you saying it has a lower muffler mount, but it has the replaceable big end and older starter type, just 1 last question, what's this big bolt for on the front?View attachment 309547

Ok, i've just been out to the shed and check some old cases, what you have there is a Contra/Lightning Super case!......Now heres the part that got me!! It has the two piece con-rod, (early) but it also has the lower muffler mount (late)........Very interesting!

Back