Stihl Contra Info Sharing Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have bought a couple of those just in case but it's not the same as originals. They are nice quality but the metal used is much thicker than the factory Contra spikes. At some point I may coat them Contra red until I find some originals. Thanks for pointing them out though. At the time I bought them only the bare metal ones were available.

How about that bar? Who has an idea what bar that is? The part number could be 3002/9264 (1106/120 on the bar):

attachment.php

However, I'm not 100% sure that is the same bar. There were the ones with engraved logo (those were supplied with the regular Contra), but I never saw one larger than the 80cm one (32"). A little bit later the sawtooth logo was painted on. Also never saw the 120cm one but I did see the 150cm bar. So these definitely exist. The thing is that the picture provided by sawbones shows just bare metal. Not a trace of the logo (not even engraved), but it could be the resolution is just too small to make out those details.

The broschure states that for the 090G from 105 cm upwards a bar with (provision for a) removable helper handle was supplied...

I have a bar like that (painted version with black STIHL logo) on one of my 076s.

[edit] just re-read the portion on the 090 AV - the same applies here as well. The helper handle might have been included with the bar (at least it very much sounds like it was).

Last edited:

These are all copys of an OEM Stihl spike I loaned to Bryce to have duplicated. In the process his machinist lost my OEM spike.
It did have a 1106 part number stamped on it but dont remember what it was.
The reason he goes by cheapsawparts is cause they are cheaply made thus a thicker and softer metal used
in order to be as strong as the original hardend steel Stihl used.

ric

Does anyone know how to pull the spur gear from a Contra gear drive? I read in the 090G shop manual (if anyone has the Contra gear drive version I would really like to read it) that there is/was a special tool for this (part #1109 890 4401) but I can't find out anything about it. I'm wondering what kind of tool this was. Anyway, since I do not have this tool, I was looking for something that could work. The gear is too close to the case to fit a generic puller. Perhaps a bearing splitter might work but those quickly become real expensive in the size this gear requires.

-edit

The gear in question:

I'm starting to doubt even a bearing splitter is thin enough to fit between the case and the gear, there is approximately 4mm of space at the widest point.

Last edited:
I recently purchased this poster off eBay. It has incredible detail into the inner workings of our Contra/Lightnings. I'll be hanging it in my shop this afternoon but wanted to share a couple of photos with you all. The poster is laid out on our 5' dining room table. It is 44" x 33" and obviously from the early 1960's. Not the 'first year' Contra but one of the earliest.

Contra-Poster.jpg

Here's a detail pic of the gas cap. I had no idea it was so complicated. I thought it was just a simple pass through hole for the pressure/vacuum release.
Contra-PosterGasCap.jpg

Then a detail of the rewind. Really cool info.
Contra-PosterRope.jpg

Gents, yet another Contra has come my way, i grabed this one because it'a a bit different, it appears to be a 106cc saw, though it is in fact 137cc, the green id tag has no 'S' on the end of the 1106, also the serial number on the id tag match the numbers on the crank case (154567) so the tag hasn't been swaped.
It's an early-ish saw with a full metal rear handle and log logo on the fuel cap.
I believe it's possible to bolt a 66mm top end on the later Contra / Lightnings that share the crank case with the 070 / 090, but not these early 106cc saws (without some work !)... Can this be confirmed??
The saw is beat up bad and doesn't look like it's run for quite some time, though it's got good comp and spark.

Gents, yet another Contra has come my way, i grabed this one because it'a a bit different, it appears to be a 106cc saw, though it is in fact 137cc, the green id tag has no 'S' on the end of the 1106, also the serial number on the id tag match the numbers on the crank case (154567) so the tag hasn't been swaped.
It's an early-ish saw with a full metal rear handle and log logo on the fuel cap.
I believe it's possible to bolt a 66mm top end on the later Contra / Lightnings that share the crank case with the 070 / 090, but not these early 106cc saws (without some work !)... Can this be confirmed??
The saw is beat up bad and doesn't look like it's run for quite some time, though it's got good comp and spark.

Since so much is interchangeable you never know what you have till you take a good look at it. Lets see some pics.

Hope your Jug has a Hump on top like this one.

One thing I have found after owning many of these old saws like the 1106-1109 saws is that as they went through changes over the years and updated parts they might have old and newer parts on saws that were sent out that way.

Thus saying that an early 1106 with a 137 jug may have the right crankcase and jug but they still could have used an older ID tag without the "S" added yet.

Kinda like the 3 shoe clutch on early models before they changed to 6 shoe.

Since most original builders are gone now we can only compare our notes here and try to establish what may have actually happened 50 years ago.

011.JPG 010.JPG 009.JPG Anyone seen this script on a Contra before ? i had a good look at the top when it was shown to me, and the decals are water-slide type, though they have been touched up over the years, i do believe they are original.
The saw is a 'S' with a three shoe clutch and embossed tag...... I'm told this saw is the first 'S' to be brought into Australia.

Nice one! (I noticed over the years that some really nice Stihl items can be found in Australia.) I have seen this cover before one time, posted on a German chainsaw forum.Pictures of that particular saw below:

IMG_3552.jpg IMG_3553.jpg IMG_3554.jpg IMG_3555.jpg IMG_3563.jpg

Back