Stihl Contra Info Sharing Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
c Muffler 045.JPG
I have enough parts to build a GS ........... I've been looking for the two piece type muffler for some time, i will make some copies of it, either as cast or machined, i know some other collectors that also need 'G' mufflers, the later type one piece muffler (pic) would be much harder to copy.

Wow, that's a nice one! I was about to ask if you had the one piece version and you post this brand new muffler. That's a very cool find, makes me jealous.

Are you sure the one piece muffler is the later one? The ones I've seen before where all attached to the earlier type Contra-Lightning G, with the one piece rear handle.

Actually it is an assumption on my behalf that the one piece muffler is the later style. Though on page 40 of the 'G' manual the 2 piece muffler does appear with the early style handle !....... so i'm not real sure !

I see what you mean. Also, the muffler you posted is the first one I've seen that still has the heat shield. Apparently the exhaust is lower so the riveted extensions are needed to attach the shield to the louvers on the front. The shield can be bolted directly onto the two piece muffler, without any extensions. To me that seems more logical. indicating that the two piece muffler would indeed be the original one and thus the first design (but also just based on assumptions).

Here's some G's with the one piece muffler:

Fu4570%20Kettens%E4ge%20Motors%E4ge%20Stihl%20Oldtimer%20full.JPG
IMG_3538.JPG

D*mn that's a pretty one. I bet one of the last geared Contra's produced. Not only because of the steel muffler but also note the alignment line on the gear side. The transitions to the 090G can clearly be seen here. Do you have a picture of the type/serial plate?
Where do you come up with all this pristine 1109 stuff ? :clap:

004.JPG
Where do you come up with all this pristine 1109 stuff ? :clap:[/QUOTE]

Sad to say that's not my saw,:( it belongs to a friend who sourced it out of South Africa, it's one of the saws that will receive a repo two piece muffler.

This 106cc saw (pic) was found in Tasmania our most southern state and home to our largest trees, it was apparently used for demonstrations only !

Another interesting looking saw. It appears as if the writing on the top cover only says 'Lightning G' instead on 'Contra Lightning G'. Do you have a close-up of that? If it's the case then the gear drive may actually be older than the assumed 1964. Also the bar on that saw is very cool. The white/red tip color pattern is of the bar that was sold with the early Lightnings. Is that muffler part of this saw or did you put it on for the picture?

note the wire clip.

I did not notice this remark before. What's special about the wire clip? (I assume you mean the clip to secure the plastic cover?)

003.JPG The wire clip is very uncommon here. The GS with the steel 090G type muffler with the wire clip is the only one I've ever seen.

The saw from Tasmania is 'as found', though I do suspect the muffler is not its original one.

View attachment 348891The wire clip is very uncommon here. The GS with the steel 090G type muffler with the wire clip is the only one I've ever seen..

I didn't think they where so special, just another later version. I've seen a couple of them already, for example on the saw from Marshall Trover:

HPIM1403.jpg

I was actually super happy my GS had the cast version because I thought it was the rarer (early?) one.
One of the weirder ones I have encountered is seen in these pictures of a 'carcass' found by Wayne Sutton some years ago:

IMG_2756.jpg IMG_2757-1.jpg

No clip and no notch in the heat shield to support it either.Yet the shield looks very similar to the ones on known mufflers.

I really like the one piece heat shielded muffler on the Tasmanian saw you showed. I can't believe how good it still looks, no rust or dirt at all. Very unique too because all the one piece cast mufflers I've seen were without a shield.

Nice man! you have some really cool 1109 saws. The hadson claw looks particularly mean. Also thanks for the comparison picture between the two mufflers. It seems that the one piece muffler is a lot smaller. Does it need any additional mounting material to fit?

How about this GS

That's the saw Matt found a couple of years ago isn't it (the one he called 137cc ghost)? Is it yours now? Quite the saw and perhaps one of the most interesting GSs I've seen so far. Never saw a picture of the full wrap AV handle from this angle. Do you think it's original? How is it mounted on the bottom, like the one shown earlier in the thread, or rigid?

I also see now that it is missing a serial/type plate. Are there any holes for the rivets?

Back