Stihl Contra Info Sharing Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice man! you have some really cool 1109 saws. The hadson claw looks particularly mean. Also thanks for the comparison picture between the two mufflers. It seems that the one piece muffler is a lot smaller. Does it need any additional mounting material to fit?

That's the saw Matt found a couple of years ago isn't it (the one he called 137cc ghost)? Is it yours now? Quite the saw and perhaps one of the most interesting GSs I've seen so far. Never saw a picture of the full wrap AV handle from this angle. Do you think it's original? How is it mounted on the bottom, like the one shown earlier in the thread, or rigid?

I also see now that it is missing a serial/type plate. Are there any holes for the rivets?
Thanks for the kind words! I do believe that the case mount on the larger muffler sticks out farther. Mr. Dominish, that's a name I've been trying to forget,but yes this was his saw. I will take some pics of the bottom when I get a chance and post them. There are no holes for a name plate which leads me to believe that this is a late model. As far as the AV being original, I think it could be but I'm not for certain. I will take some closer pics of the mounts.

Hehe, nothing special. I believe ghost saw is the term used to refer to saws that are very hard to find, and little info is available on. Since the Contra GS fits the bill and is 137cc, the previous owner called it 137cc ghost. It's the only one I know of that has the AV setup, hence it's a bit special. There was a discussion if this AV setup is factory original and Matt never showed a complete picture of the handle. You can find the topic by searching 137CC ghost.

Looking forward to the pics Woodboss. Thanks for shedding some light on this saw :)

Am I missing something with this 'ghost saw'?
Some believe that the GS AV never existed. There is very little info about them. I believe there were some manuals or micro fiches from Stihl that mentioned the GSAV

I have the IPL but hard to visualize, anybody have a picture of the trigger mechanism with linkage for the Conta AV? I'm trying to locate the right parts and mine is missing the trigger and throttle cable, figure a picture is a good place to start so I know what I'm looking for.
Thanks!

I have the IPL but hard to visualize, anybody have a picture of the trigger mechanism with linkage for the Conta AV? I'm trying to locate the right parts and mine is missing the trigger and throttle cable, figure a picture is a good place to start so I know what I'm looking for.
Thanks!

Would the Contra Av throttle linkage be the same as the early 070Av, pn 1106 180 1100 ?

It should be. That same number is listed for the 090AV old style. The new style lists the number as 1106 180 1101.

Now the question is, would the standard rod from a non-AV saw work as the trigger should be in the same position or very near the same position. On mine, the trigger is broke and the cable is missing.

Contra Av linkage 001.JPG
It should be. That same number is listed for the 090AV old style. The new style lists the number as 1106 180 1101.

Now the question is, would the standard rod from a non-AV saw work as the trigger should be in the same position or very near the same position. On mine, the trigger is broke and the cable is missing.[/QUOTE

This saw is a Contra converted to a 070Av, as can be seen someone has used a piece of wire as a linkage as the non av linkage would be to short..............the wife will have a fit if she gets up and sees this thing on the kitchen bench !!

I believe there were some manuals or micro fiches from Stihl that mentioned the GSAV

That's the first time I hear about manuals/fiches for the Contra GS AV. Have you actually seen them or just hear of them? All I can think of is this early 090G document (credit to mr. sawbones) that mentions the AV setup being available for the 090G.

http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk316/mrbigsaw/090gg.jpg

I have, however, never seen an 090G with that setup. I recall that Matt once wrote that he had found a particular AV handle for the 090G that had part numbers matching those in 090G AV document he had seen.

Anyhow, thanks for the pictures. I agree that it must be a later model and looks pretty original mostly. Only the lower mount on the reduction chain side seem a bit illogical (lacking sufficient AV rubber).

Nooo! Take it out and run it!

Regarding the ghost meaning very rare, other than the AV wraps on here, I'd never heard of them, the 070/090 ipl doesn't mention them, likewise a geared AV is rare, and not mentioned in the ipl's I have access to, although I reckon the direct drive AV mounts could be easily modified for such purpose.

That's the first time I hear about manuals/fiches for the Contra GS AV. Have you actually seen them or just hear of them? All I can think of is this early 090G document (credit to mr. sawbones) that mentions the AV setup being available for the 090G.

http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk316/mrbigsaw/090gg.jpg

I have, however, never seen an 090G with that setup. I recall that Matt once wrote that he had found a particular AV handle for the 090G that had part numbers matching those in 090G AV document he had seen.

Anyhow, thanks for the pictures. I agree that it must be a later model and looks pretty original mostly. Only the lower mount on the reduction chain side seem a bit illogical (lacking sufficient AV rubber).
I have never seen the fiches, but Matt put in his original thread about this ghost, that he had a fiche that mentioned the Contra GS AV but had no part numbers.

The muffler/wrap handle really got the ball rolling. I see you also have a Lightning G and S, please show some pictures of those too. I can never get enough of the gear drive Contra Lightnings.

Back