Stihl Contra Pistons

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rxe

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
OK. I've been looking for Contra pistons for a long time, and there don't seem to be any about. I'm not talking about Contra-S (135 CC) pistons, I've got some of those, just ordinary Contra pistons, 58mm in diameter, 107 cc. You might think that 070 pistons would work, but they don't, as the deck height is way too big.

So, I've been looking at getting some made. I've asked a few manufacturers, and all have been unable to reproduce some aspect. Until now.

I noticed that Wiseco have dropped their minimum order to 12 pistons, and Wiseco can do it. I want 6, and I need buyers for the other 6 (or more, if the demand is there). The bad news is that the price is about $170 for a piston, wrist pin, rings and clips - so Stihl dealer prices, if the dealers could still get them, which they can't.

Anyone interested in building up an order? PM me, or reply below.... :)

Here's a picture of the two side by side, 070 on the left, Contra on the right:

attachment.php

You'd be machining right through the crown.....

Is it not possible in this day and age to emerse the old piston in an aluminum based solution and electroplate it with more aluminum?
Obviously if it was possible you would need to silicone or grease the ring cut outs and pin hole.

Is it not possible in this day and age to emerse the old piston in an aluminum based solution and electroplate it with more aluminum?
Obviously if it was possible you would need to silicone or grease the ring cut outs and pin hole.

There's a couple of plating companies that use a similar process with tin to build the pistons back up. I've used a few in older saws where no replacement parts were available and it worked well. I sent them the cylinder along with the piston and specified the clearance I wanted. For example, in an IEL Model F, I specified .0035" and they were right on the money.

There's a couple of plating companies that use a similar process with tin to build the pistons back up. I've used a few in older saws where no replacement parts were available and it worked well. I sent them the cylinder along with the piston and specified the clearance I wanted. For example, in an IEL Model F, I specified .0035" and they were right on the money.

Seriously looking at getting a piston cyl (gilnsil)done. Jacob is that .0035 " clearance ,a standard for all make and model?

I thought this should be a viable option for piston repair, it could end up just as expensive as having new ones made from blanks though.

How about asking www.mahle.com is they still make them or have old stock?

I do not know about the newer outboard motors, but the top of the pistons on the older ones were raised to one side to match the porting and would not work with a chainsaw style porting. Also, the rings on the outboards are twice as thick as a chainsaw piston.

Seriously looking at getting a piston cyl (gilnsil)done. Jacob is that .0035 " clearance ,a standard for all make and model?

That's a fairly standard piston-to-cylinder wall clearance in the big, old saws. Some of the high speed large saws like the Mac 125s need a little more room, they're making more heat.

I'll bring this thread back to life with some good news - you can get Contra pistons again.

There is a guy on eBay in Germany (Sagenspezi) who has had a batch made and is selling them for 20 EUR. I've got one, and comparing it to an NOS Stihl one, it seems very good. I haven't installed it yet, but will take pics if anyone is interested.

I'm nothing to do with the seller, I'm just pleased that some of my Contras will run again.

Your wish is my command....:glasses-cool:

Here is a side by side comparison. On the right is an OE Stihl piston. OE certainly wins on box quality....

View attachment 170846
170846d1296723065-img_0400-jpg

Close up side on:

View attachment 170850
attachment.php

The replica has a ribbed finish like an 070 piston, the OE one is perfectly smooth. The good news is that it has the right deck height.

End on:

View attachment 170848

170848d1296723176-img_0403-jpg

The crank journal is 1.5 mm wider on the replica, I'm not that worried as Contra pistons aren't exactly consistent in that department. Weight feels about the same (don't have any accurate scales here)

Side on:

View attachment 170847
170847d1296723160-img_0407-jpg

The pins are in the right place!.

At this stage it looks very good, finish is spot on and I can't see any defects.

Last edited:
I've bought parts from saegenspezi before and have had good experience with him. Good to know that there are pistons available for the Contra. Thanks for the tip, rxe !

Back