STIHL Dealer turn around time question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

STIHLMIKE

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
What is the average wait for your saw to be turned around to you. I just purchased a MS 230-C from a dealer in PA. I cut with it for 4-6 loads and the say died on me. I took it back on Thursday the 15th at noon. Being that I had bought it 4-5 days prior to bringing it back in I would have expected them to put it top of the list.

I found out last Tuesday that it needed a whole new carborator, since the factory carb had a malfunctioning jet. I am still waiting on the saw. Am I being too hard on the dealer. I am thinking I could have just ordered the carb off of ebay last wednesday and already had it put on. I am sure that if I was a logger or bought a pro saw i would have had it back already.

What would any of you had done if this situation was happening to you? Am I wrong to give them a deadline lets say Thursday, a full 2 weeks after turning it over to them, and tell them I want a new saw?

Well this sounds like warranty work. So you could call and ask them when it should be done. Going in and demanding a new saw because they took to long do the warranty repair probably isn't going to get you anywhere. Plus just because you bought the saw a few days ago doesn't put you on the top of the list for the repair guys. Typically they work and take care of customers as they are received the shop I used to go to had a sign that said how many days wait there was for repairs to get looked at sometimes it was 1 day sometimes it was 4 days. I dont know about stihl but when I ordered a part for my lawn tractor I was told 3-5 business days to get the part so if they diagnosed your saw last Tuesday and it took a while to get the part in assuming they needed to order it they they could just be getting it today. Just give the dealer a call and find out what is going on.

If you aren't happy with the service at the dealer if you can find any others in your area that are good take your future business there. I found a better local dealer that is a little farther away. He knows the saws and has better prices plus he was willing to spend 45 minutes talking saws/chains/ and gas with me last week when I walked in the door. So sounds like you may need a new dealer.

Last edited:
I would have rather did the work myself, If it would not have messed with warranty. I just wanted to know the average time. If something happens again I doubt I will be taking it to them.

I just got started this year with chainsaws, and went with an upper end saw to try and avoid these types of issues. My dad had given me his old craftsman as a back up saw but it is having issues as well. I am trying to get it back in running order as well for a back up saw. I was a bit strapped but decided to get the more quality saw. I bought this smaller saw first because it fit in my budget and plan on getting an upper level or pro saw within the next few years and keeping this as a back up saw.

Good
Fast
Cheap

-Pick Two.

During the summer I'm usually backed up 30+ of hand held units deep and run 10-14 day turn around.

Here's the scoop. I guess they had to have a minimum parts order that they had to place through STIHL. They just ordered the parts today. I am lost as to how they can not order just 1 part at a time if necessary. I tried to be civil, and asked the saleman to come out side to speak with me as to not inhibit any future sales, dumb but that is just how I am.

He had told me that he was under the impression that they ordered the parts last week, as was I, but still feel like I am getting the shaft on this one. I told him I needed the saw by Friday. I asked him to call the other dealership to verify when the parts would be in. I told him that I would settle for them swapping the carb from another 230 at this time, or a totally new saw.

Never had to deal with the whole parts issue/minimum order garbage before. Glad I found this site to learn how to fix these myself. Not sure that the warranty is all that great of a thing anyway.

Here's the scoop. I guess they had to have a minimum parts order that they had to place through STIHL. They just ordered the parts today. I am lost as to how they can not order just 1 part at a time if necessary. I tried to be civil, and asked the saleman to come out side to speak with me as to not inhibit any future sales, dumb but that is just how I am.

He had told me that he was under the impression that they ordered the parts last week, as was I, but still feel like I am getting the shaft on this one. I told him I needed the saw by Friday. I asked him to call the other dealership to verify when the parts would be in. I told him that I would settle for them swapping the carb from another 230 at this time, or a totally new saw.

Never had to deal with the whole parts issue/minimum order garbage before. Glad I found this site to learn how to fix these myself. Not sure that the warranty is all that great of a thing anyway.

At the dealer i typically use, i can order a part saturday until thursday morning and it will be there by noon on Friday. If i can't wait, i can drive a little ways and there is a bigger dealer with a much larger parts inventory. They usually have it in stock, usually... but they are 15 miles each way and the other is right beside a place i am at many times a week.

Everything they're telling you is 100% correct.
And for parts to reach you in PA, from their Stihl distributor is 3 business days.
Or if they order after noon it's 4.

Everything they're telling you is 100% correct.
And for parts to reach you in PA, from their Stihl distributor is 3 business days.
Or if they order after noon it's 4.

Was there no other way to get a carburator for my saw shipped to them?

Could they not contact another Stihl dealership, for the part?

Got a lesson on that recently, re a RedMax GZ4000, bought 12/12. Amazing saw, when it's right, but it started to act lean on the top end. Definitely not a good thing. Carb adjustments "locked" so I took it back to orig dealer, got it back adjusted eye-watering stinky rich in the cut. Took it back again- no change. WTF? NFG.

Took it to another dealer. He found fuel filter loose in tank, debris in carb filter. Then he also adjusted it almost-smoky, stinky rich. And billed for repairs, which he said were not covered by warranty. Of course he also set the idle speed high enough that you could cut with it. Whatever else he did, I can now freely adjust the carb mixture, so cranking the H in about A HALF TURN has it 2/4-stroking very nicely.

Seems these geniuses pop a tach on it and adjust H needle for max of 13K, ignoring all else. Duh. Cough, cough.

You're right- warranty really is no big thing. Certainly nothing to alter your actions. Fix it yourself, and get it done right, one time, without getting on your knees to arrogant fools. You're invisible once they have your $.

My local Stihl dealer receives a parts shipment every Tuesday, late morning, so getting parts can take up to a week. Then, it depends whether the shop is loaded with repairs or not. That could take up to another week, and after the last hurricane they were buried for weeks with saws that had sat in the garage with bad gas for a few years.

Solution if you can't be without a saw is to get a 50-60cc pro-level saw and keep the MS230 as a backup or limbing saw.

The guys in the back do not always communicate with the guys in the front.

Not the best way to handle warranty, but **** happens...

This is why I fired my dealer, learned 2 stroke repair and began buying used huskys that had online parts availability. I don't have time to mess with "minimum parts order" BS.

This is why I fired my dealer, learned 2 stroke repair and began buying used huskys that had online parts availability. I don't have time to mess with "minimum parts order" BS.

Lesson learned here as well.

Solution if you can't be without a saw is to get a 50-60cc pro-level saw and keep the MS230 as a backup or limbing saw.

I had planned on buying a pro saw, but cant swing the wood burner install and a pro saw this year.

Latest posts

Back