Stihl Dealers Getting Dropped

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stroken56

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Has anyone heard of any dealers getting dropped by Stihl? There is one in my area that has. (I want to keep the dealer name discrete at this time.) Everyone is, or should be familiar with Stihl setting up John Deere dealers as well. However, the saw shop I am referencing, lost its Stihl dealer status with out warning. They had tried ordering parts for two weeks or so and were denied shipment. Last week they got a letter stating they had lost Stihl due to inactivity. Their bills were paid up with Stihl, so owing them money was a non-issue.

Is Stihl looking to go in a different direction like box stores? Slim up their servicing dealers? I didn't know if anyone else has seen this take place in their town also. :msp_sad: :msp_angry: :msp_scared: :msp_sad: :msp_angry: :msp_scared:

Stihl have been dropping a number of dealers when they have been found continuously bypassing Stihl's dealer rules such as online sales etc. By all accounts the dealer gets one warning and that's it. If they get busted twice they lose their dealership. You have to hand it to Stihl for protecting their brand and their dealers. Once things go online everything gets whored out and nobody makes any money. If Stihl saws suddenly came online from Stihl dealers then there would be no dealers as margins would be that low that you couldn't afford to keep the doors open, not to mention nobody would want to sell that product.
Stihl have also been very active online as well setting up suspected dealers and tracking serial numbers. When I import saws it is always though a 3rd party so no dealer rules are being bypassed.

Once things go online everything gets whored out and nobody makes any money. If Stihl saws suddenly came online from Stihl dealers then there would be no dealers as margins would be that low that you couldn't afford to keep the doors open, not to mention nobody would want to sell that product..

The closest Stihl dealer sells at MSRP + dealer fee. I don' know if it is common or not. They have not dropped Husqvarna either. So it seems to me that Stihl needs to loosen up a little to keep their dealers from doing this.

I know if you try hard enough, you can get a STIHL dealer to sell off MSRP. It isn't always the easiest thing to do, and some dealers will look at you as if you have two heads on your shoulder.

Matter-of-fact, if I do buy a power tool from a STIHL dealer, I refuse to pay MSRP. Funny thing, I have better luck at it with a dedicated STIHL dealer, vs. a hardware store that sells STIHL.

well lets just start by saying stihl and bryan equipment the supplier for this area only care about
money and numbers of saws they sell nothing else. they dropped are local small town dealer a year and a half
ago after them being a dealer for 42 years for not selling quote not enough weed eaters and blowers and
the fact they want you to stock every single product even the ms880 which they never sold 1 of those in 10
years and only several 660s. stihl dose not want you fixing saws they want you selling new ones that's why
the john deere dealers fit in perfect in there plan because around here there parts base sucks and when they
fix a saw it winds up in another shop because it was done wrong. So stihl has absolutely no dealer loyalty in
my book.

I would like a poll from the dealers on what they charge for saws and parts, As an example 1 dealer around me charges list for parts and saws, Another charges list for the saws and a 25% markup over list on parts and charges shipping to get them. Plus from a dealer point do you get offended when someone asks for your best price. When do you drop below msrp for saws or parts? Just wondering, Thanks

I know if you try hard enough, you can get a STIHL dealer to sell off MSRP. It isn't always the easiest thing to do, and some dealers will look at you as if you have two heads on your shoulder.

Matter-of-fact, if I do buy a power tool from a STIHL dealer, I refuse to pay MSRP. Funny thing, I have better luck at it with a dedicated STIHL dealer, vs. a hardware store that sells STIHL.

Like Thall (THE KING) used to say. Bring me a a meal from Wendys or have a very short mini skirt and now we can discount the price. In todays world I wonder if that includes guys with skirts? Oh well

I have one dealer I go to for most stuff. They give me a discount on everything. Saws are 10% usually when I ask a price. No haggling or anything like that. The other is msrp on most stuff and I try to avoid them but occasionally they have something I need right then and it's a lot shorter drive to them. A 24" loop of chain was $43 last time I checked.

For what it is worth,
I'm in Minnesota and have purchased three saws from a dealer in Illinois. The dealer was careful to not violate Stihl's dealer agreement by selling directly to me.
I had a friend in IL purchase 2 of them on my behalf and then ship them to me. The third I picked up in person when I was in town. The dealer's prices were about $100 less on each saw compared to any price I could find locally.
Stihl has a unique distribution structure. It is a good thing. I respect a dealer refusing to sell outside his territory, it would be shortsighted.
Local dealers have explained they don't have much margin on saws. I asked the IL. dealer how they could sell at a price much lower than my local dealers. They said they do such a volume that they get better pricing than most dealers. I'm sure there must be a dealer in MN that would be doing the comparable sales volume as the IL. dealer and could match the price. Problem is, I haven't been able identify the local dealer and don't have the time to bring him doughnuts and hang around trying get a good price. I'm sure people in the trade know who to buy from.
I try to be respectful of peoples time. I've stopped at local dealers for a quote in person and try not to stand around wasting their time with stupids questions. For the dealer in IL., I've taken a total of 30 minutes of the IL. dealers time and spent close to $2k.
DF

The closest Stihl dealer sells at MSRP + dealer fee. I don' know if it is common or not. They have not dropped Husqvarna either. So it seems to me that Stihl needs to loosen up a little to keep their dealers from doing this.
If they are a Gold Certified dealer(Only selling Stihl) they can afford to sell under MSRP, But if you go to a dealer that sells other brands
they don't get their merchandise at the lower rate like a Gold Certified dealer does, So next time you're shopping for a Stihl, It pays to go to a dealer that only sell stihl
A Gold dealership gets special treatment (Pricing) from Stihl
A dealer that has other brands on the wall does not
So that's why you can get a deal at one place, but not another.

Last edited:
If all the saw manufacturers did things like this I wouldn't enjoy this hobby nearly as much. I respect Stihl's right to do business as they wish but its a big inconvenience for me. I buy all my saws used and fix them myself. I also get my parts from many sources. I don't like the idea of only being able to get new factory parts from a dealer in person who probably wants to sell me a new saw instead.

If they are a Gold Certified dealer(Only selling Stihl) they can afford to sell under MSRP, But if you go to a dealer that sells other brands
they don't get their merchandise at the lower rate like a Gold Certified dealer does, So next time you're shopping for a Stihl, It pays to go to a dealer that only sell stihl

The dealer I refer to in IL. also sells Husqvarna and Echo.

If all the saw manufacturers did things like this I wouldn't enjoy this hobby nearly as much. I respect Stihl's right to do business as they wish but its a big inconvenience for me. I buy all my saws used and fix them myself. I also get my parts from many sources. I don't like the idea of only being able to get new factory parts from a dealer in person who probably wants to sell me a new saw instead.

I agree or they just look at you like why are you ordering these parts. And you spend a n hour with the parts guys trying to get the right parts. This is another i dont buy new stihl. Just used and fix it. And then i only get there chainsaws the orther stuff vibrates to much

Not true. The Stihl elite dealers get the good pricing. That is the ones that only sell Stihl handheld stuff. We also sell ExMark, and that is OK since they are not a competitor for Stihl products. Should we take on Echo or Jonsered, the elite status will be revoked and pricing changed. Gold is a different thing, and both the store and at least one tech must meet minimum standards to be a gold dealer. The tech also has to attend and pass the gold certification in VA beach.

well lets just start by saying stihl and bryan equipment the supplier for this area only care about
money and numbers of saws they sell nothing else. they dropped are local small town dealer a year and a half
ago after them being a dealer for 42 years for not selling quote not enough weed eaters and blowers and
the fact they want you to stock every single product even the ms880 which they never sold 1 of those in 10
years and only several 660s. stihl dose not want you fixing saws they want you selling new ones that's why
the john deere dealers fit in perfect in there plan because around here there parts base sucks and when they
fix a saw it winds up in another shop because it was done wrong. So stihl has absolutely no dealer loyalty in
my book.

Bryan Equipment is less than 50 miles from here, and services my dealer. They are not required to stock 660s or 880s. I've never seen an 880 in the store, and not sure if I've ever seen a 660 in stock there. As far as parts, the profit margin is far higher on parts than it is on saws.

my book.

Your statements are completely false and slander my friend. I have not once been pressured to order nor carry one single piece of equiptment that I didnt want to. I've never carried a 660 nor an 880 in stock. And for anoth thing, every meeting and update I've been to they do nothing but preach about taking care of the customer and how service after the sale is the most important part!! I hear too much bull #### about dealers wont do this and wont do that, well its your dealer not stihl . I've picked up the phone many of times and stihl has went out of there way to take care of the customer above and beyond the warranty. So if your looking for someone to bash its your dealer not stihl. They dont just drop dealers for no reason.

correct me wrong the only thing that you can get revoked for low sales from stihl is if your an elite dealer and your not moving enough out the door
they'll pull your elite status...

Our distributor is Crader Blue Mountain out of McKinney, Texas. They are one of the few family owned distributors. It is my understanding that most distributors are owned by Stihl, not positive though. We have never been pressured to do anything or carry anything. Our territory manager will give advice and make suggestions, but we have never been pressured. Also, we do not pressure customers to buy new equipment versus fix. Its up to them.

If Stihl dropped a dealer, I imagine they have a very good reason. Why would they want to have less of a market presence for no good reason at all? Even though the whole John Deere thing was annoying to dealers (I was really mad), I get why they did it. Each John Deere is independently owned and they already have mechanics/service. Deere is certainly a wonderful brand to be associated with. It put Stihl into that many more farm/ag/lawn/garden stores while still keeping to their "independent-only stores" motto.

I have been in lots of dealers in SE Ga and I have never seen a 660/880 in stock. The same situation goes for Husky. Dealers for both brands typically carry the 70cc saws as the largest saws they stock.

Latest posts

Back