Stihl FG2 Bench Mount Filing Guide

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is the best guide I've found. It stays put on the bar using rubber grips....and it grips the chain just below the tooth to keep it solid. It also allows a round or double bevel file to be used.

IMG_0390_zps44de203b.jpg

Shhhhhhhhhhh..... :D

Morgan County huh? I'm in the next county over.....

Yep, but I'm in Fentress a lot. We probably know some of the same people. Speaking of which, you know anyone in the area with a mill and kiln? Needing some kiln dried maple for my cabinet doors I'm building.

I really like the looks of that mcculloch file-n-joint.

Also I have been unable to locate any of the FG-2's so far. I have a dealer looking, but kinda doubt anything will be found at this point.

Last edited:
Yep, but I'm in Fentress a lot. We probably know some of the same people. Speaking of which, you know anyone in the area with a mill and kiln? Needing some kiln dried maple for my cabinet doors I'm building.

I really like the looks of that mcculloch file-n-joint.

Also I have been unable to locate any of the FG-2's so far. I have a dealer looking, but kinda doubt anything will be found at this point.

Check with Johnny Talent at Talent Lumber Co. They're in Fentress County on Picket Park Rd.

I find the FG3 to work for my needs.
I don't have to remove the chain or bar from the saw.
I noticed that when the guide is set at the 0 degree (horiz) mark/indent, there is a slight angle but this of course can be adjusted to the next "indent". The manual doesn't mention this angled feature even though the tool does.
I'm dialing in my first RS chain.

I find the FG3 to work for my needs.
I don't have to remove the chain or bar from the saw.
I noticed that when the guide is set at the 0 degree (horiz) mark/indent, there is a slight angle but this of course can be adjusted to the next "indent". The manual doesn't mention this angled feature even though the tool does.
I'm dialing in my first RS chain.

Pics?

once set up sharpening each cutter takes no time whatsoever. I have a 25" bar that wiggles a bit so I need to secure it so it feels smoother when filing.
CorpFull.png

Last edited:
German eBay! Price was comparable to the normal price but the $50 shipping hurt. Kicking myself for not getting one while they were still available in the US..

Last edited:
Taketools on German eBay! Price was comparable to the normal price but the $50 shipping hurt. Kicking myself for not getting one while they were still available in the US..

I would rather pay it than do without. Get some good files and you are in business. I like Save Edge.

Question here. Like others I missed the boat on this one. I did check around months ago and dealers were not able to get one, discontinued they said. Found one on German e-bay. 189 plus 50 for shipping. Is it worth it for those who have one? I can sharpen ok by hand but am by no means an expert. Have a hard time keeeping the different sides consistent. The thought of a bench grinder has crossed my mind also but this is a 1/3 price.

Can anyone tell me what size the 2 lag bolts are that came with the fg-2 ? I packed mine away and need to get it back out to use it. I can't find those 2 lag bolts , help appreciated , thanks
2be5ce0e8a4c1508682a01462f5c4492.jpg

German eBay! Price was comparable to the normal price but the $50 shipping hurt. Kicking myself for not getting one while they were still available in the US..
Which buyer did you get it from and how much did you wind up paying? Seriously considering one!!

Back