Stihl FG2 Bench Mount Filing Guide

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Old school.....

IMG_0390_zps44de203b.jpg

I wonder why they still show them on the US sight for sale?

Might still be some inventory somewhere. In one of the distributor's warehouses. Some dealers might still have a few.

Maybe they leave that up until a replacement is posted?

They certainly have had new stuff up on the STIHL site before people could find it at their dealers.

Philbert

Hopefully the FG-4 isn't the intended replacement... If it's the same FG-4 I saw on the Stihl Germany site, it appears to be a German engineered version of the Oregon bar mount roller file guides, although it didn't even look like it had rollers... More like phenolic resin guide vanes. I really would like an FG-2, but was unable to come up with the money before now...:bang::taped::censored:

I'll have to PM you when I get school dates. It would be fun to meet another Saw Doctor and getting to see any of your saws raising hell would be a bonus, if I wasn't imposing. If I work it right I might even be able to bring you a bit of business while I'm down there.

Anybody know anything about a 'FG 4'? Is it twice as good as an 'FG 2'?

OK, this is on YouTube. Might be OK to compete the Husqvarna file guide (?) but does not appear to offer the flexibility of the frame style guides (Granberg, Oregon, FG 2, etc.). One issue that I have with the Husky guides is that I need several to cover different chain sizes and types.

Angles appear to be fixed at 30* and 5* 'down angle'?

Do I need to buy one for each size round file or does it come with multiple guide blocks?

Cannot be adapted to a square file.

At about 1:42 in this video it shows the freshly filed tooth, but it does not appear that the file touched the entire top edge?

Fans of 'progressive raker filing' will like the depth gauge feature that is similar to the File-O-Plate approach.

Philbert

While these gadgets are cool.......they take away the need to learn to freehand file properly. I have Husky roller, Granberg, and Nygran file guides, a round grinder, and a swing arm. In the woods I just switch saws or chains...hand filing freehand is a rare event for me anymore. I'm not sure if that's good or bad.

. . . I have Husky roller, Granberg, and Nygran file guides, a round grinder, and a swing arm. In the woods I just switch saws or chains...hand filing freehand is a rare event for me anymore. I'm not sure if that's good or bad.

I don't think that it matters. Even if their method is to take it into a shop and pay $7. Bottom line is each has to find something that works for them.

Sad part about losing something like this, is that it takes one of the options off the table. People here seem to think that it is the best example of this type of file guide.

Philbert

the FG2's success can mostly be attributed to how firmly and accurately it holds the chain....

I agree Nik, the other filing jigs I have used don't actually clamp the drive link firmly and the chain moves around when sharpening, especially when your bar grove is worn. I have also found the other cheaper jigs rather 'flexible' but the FG2 is really well built and feels solid in your hands.

While these gadgets are cool.......they take away the need to learn to freehand file properly. I have Husky roller, Granberg, and Nygran file guides, a round grinder, and a swing arm. In the woods I just switch saws or chains...hand filing freehand is a rare event for me anymore. I'm not sure if that's good or bad.

I know what you mean Randy, I try and take a bunch of saws if I can and find that I get quite a bit more work done. However, with some of our wood you have to sharpen the chain after each tank so hand filing becomes a necessity, unless you want to carry around a bucket of chains and swap them every 5 minutes. For this reason I usually hand file a chain around 4-5 times then throw it on either the grinder or file jig to get all the cutters back to shape and size again.

This is the best guide I've found. It stays put on the bar using rubber grips....and it grips the chain just below the tooth to keep it solid. It also allows a round or double bevel file to be used.

IMG_0390_zps44de203b.jpg

Latest posts

Back