Stihl Flippy Caps

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

esshup

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
A friend let me borrow his Stihl chainsaw pole pruner.

I tell ya, whoever the engineer was that designed the flippy caps should be shot, and the engineering manager who approved of the design should be right along side of him when they say "FIRE!". :msp_mad: :mad2:

I fill up the saw, and get it fired up. Pick it up, go to cut a branch overhead and feel my knee/calf getting wet. There went the first tank of fuel. Then it took me about 10 minutes to get the durn thing on the tank so it wouldn't leak.

AAARRRRRGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It could have been worse, it could have been the oil reservoir cap that is by the chain. I'd have gotten a bath for sure!

Surprised it wasn't the oil cap. They often cause trouble if, by accident, you overfill the oil tank... Once you get used to them, flippy caps are handy. You just have to make sure they fit tightly after filling up.

Yup I had the oil cap pop off on a pole saw - twice. The first time it was recently filled and as soon as I turned it sideways to cut a branch there goes all the oil all over someones picnic table... I filled it up and finished the job and on the way back to the shop the cap fell out again dumping oil all over the roof/cab of my truck. :mad2:

It was obviously later deemed to be defective. And I am now part of the group of people that dislike them.

Some will complain, another flippy cap thread. If that is the case, then don't open threads like this.:msp_ohmy:

Well when 40-50% of the users detest a feature on something you make, that far outways the people who like something if you are a company with any brains at all. To continue to make products with this much negative feedback defies rationale thought.

Flippy caps were Stihl's answer to a problem that didn't exhist. Now they have a problem that won't go away.

Some will complain, another flippy cap thread. If that is the case, then don't open threads like this.:msp_ohmy:

Well when 40-50% of the users detest a feature on something you make, that far outways the people who like something if you are a company with any brains at all. To continue to make products with this much negative feedback defies rationale thought.

Flippy caps were Stihl's answer to a problem that didn't exhist. Now they have a problem that won't go away.

what problem? that the old caps leaked? flippy caps ROCK!!
a few mouth breathers cant seem to install them properly.:biggrin:

what problem? that the old caps leaked? flippy caps ROCK!!
a few mouth breathers cant seem to install them properly.:biggrin:

Great answer Harry. You ought to run the PR campaign for the Guberment Motors Chevy Volt.:msp_tongue:

Irregardless, When a at least 40% of consumers detest a feature on a product, that is a problem.

FWIW, a few minutes ago I sent a complaint to Stihl USA regarding "flippy caps". In a few days I'll share what they say.

Great answer Harry. You ought to run the PR campaign for the Guberment Motors Chevy Volt.:msp_tongue:

Irregardless, When a at least 40% of consumers detest a feature on a product, that is a problem.

FWIW, a few minutes ago I sent a complaint to Stihl USA regarding "flippy caps". In a few days I'll share what they say.

[/I] I have sent them two emails and no response.

40%, really, your other post said 40%-50%. Tossing numbers around are ya, let me toss you a few. Stihl produces about 6 million units yearly. That would mean you know of about 3 million complaints according to your numbers there. Man you really get around don't ya,:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

My take on them.

Screw in gas / oil caps are so elegantly simple and effective ......... who would mess with them????

I like Stihl products, but flippy caps were the re-engineering of the wheel which just plain didn't need fixing.

Last edited:
40%, really, your other post said 40%-50%. Tossing numbers around are ya, let me toss you a few. Stihl produces about 6 million units yearly. That would mean you know of about 3 million complaints according to your numbers there. Man you really get around don't ya,:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Well if you are like me, then you shouldn't let a few things like facts get in the way when you have already made up your mind. I digresss as I often do:

From http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/187928.htm

44.79% prefer the old style caps
43.75% like the flippy caps
The balance like the Packers, who just got beat today.:frown:

On the bigger poll: http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/poll775.htm

43.82% dislike flippy caps
56.18% liked them.

Sorry I exagerated.

Stihl makes some excellent chainsaws. No argument there. To lose even one possible sale because of a feature that has no appreciable value other than marketing gimmick makes no sense. Yes many claim that they have never had a problem with them, but there are enough that do have problems and this is just bad advertising.

How many complain about any other chainsaws screwcaps? I haven't heard anyone yet. Its silly when a manufacturer makes problems for themselves for no reason.

Well if you are like me, then you shouldn't let a few things like facts get in the way when you have already made up your mind. I digresss as I often do:

From http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/187928.htm

44.79% prefer the old style caps
43.75% like the flippy caps
The balance like the Packers, who just got beat today.:frown:

On the bigger poll: http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/poll775.htm

43.82% dislike flippy caps
56.18% liked them.

Sorry I exagerated.

Polls on AS don't accurately reflect overall chainsaw ownership polls. We're nuts in here. We take molehill differences and irritations and blow them up into mountains. Ask the Stihl owner on the street about flippy caps and I bet there's a healthy majority that prefer them to the old style. I know lots of casual homeowner/occasional firewood cutters with Stihls, and they prefer the flippy caps to a man because they don't need a tool to open them.

Now I'll shut back up and roll my eyes over another flippy cap thread. :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

Harry, good comment on the mouth breathers. It's not hard to be smarter than a flippy cap. :rock:

I dont really get the flippy cap issues either. i have one on my weed eater and flippys on my 440. Are they really that hard to figure out????? maybe i really am a genius

I think you guys are mostly missing the point. Are they that hard to figure out? No!

Are they absolutely fool proof like a screw cap? No.

As a company trying to sell saws would I want even one sale lost over something so silly?

I think you guys are mostly missing the point. Are they that hard to figure out? No!

Are they absolutely fool proof like a screw cap? No.

As a company trying to sell saws would I want even one sale lost over something so silly?

Foolproof? Iv'e seen stripped threads on a husky 262 granted the guy could strip a cap on a firehydrant point is they can fail.

Latest posts

Back