Stihl Flippy Caps

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Foolproof? Iv'e seen stripped threads on a husky 262 granted the guy could strip a cap on a firehydrant point is they can fail.

Everything man made can fail, the issue is how often? I've never had a screwcap look like it was on but then leak or fall out.

Seriously, who ever complains about Husky's or Dolmar's caps?

Flippy's have been around now for at least 6 years. Do you see ANY other manufacturer trying to come out with a flippy style cap? Nuff said.

Well if you are like me, then you shouldn't let a few things like facts get in the way when you have already made up your mind. I digresss as I often do:

From http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/187928.htm

44.79% prefer the old style caps
43.75% like the flippy caps
The balance like the Packers, who just got beat today.:frown:

On the bigger poll: http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/poll775.htm

43.82% dislike flippy caps
56.18% liked them.

Sorry I exagerated.

Ohhhhhh I didn't know you were going by the Arb Site poll C5, my bad. Course now you do realize the entire Arb Site members don't account for all Stihl sales. I might be stretching it to say the Arb Site members may account for .00005% of all Stihl sales and thats being generous. Not to be picking on you though, really I was just messing with ya to get ya feathers up.

You seem to being saying Stihl is refusing to address the flippy cap issue and yes there have been complaints, not nearly as many as you stated in the overall scheme of things but complaints just the same. You do know that as of right now all blowers, all trimmers, edgers, hedgetrimmers, pole prunners that had flip caps now have newly desgined gas tanks and what kinda cap do they have, its a heavy duty screw in cap. So yes the complaints have been heard and addressed. There's also been a recall for those caps in the older machines. They upgraded the cap so it would not swell up and be more user freindly. Thirdly anyone with a bad cap regardless of its age, all they have to do is take the unit in and get a free upgraded cap.

The chainsaws continue to have the flip caps, that is true. The majority of the complaints about the flip caps were not on the chainsaw so they haven't changed them. Will they in the future, maybe, it all depends on the number of complaints. To date theres just not been enuff complaints on the saws to warrant a change.

See I'm not so mean afterall now am I, cheers!!!!

As a company trying to sell saws would I want even one sale lost over something so silly?

If, and I believe it is a BIG if, someone is going to nix buying a Stihl based SOLELY on the flippy cap issue, then there probably are at least as many who, liking the flippy cap, will choose Stihl over some other brand. But you really have to care a lot about the minutiae to base your saw decision solely on such a feature.

Methinks your logic here is specious.

Anyway, a company continues to thrive through innovation. That means taking chances. Did Stihl's flippy cap innovation fail? Would they have sold more Sihls if they'd left the cap design alone? Considering how many gazillions of Stihls are sold to regular Joes (and Josephines), I really doubt it.

So much for me keeping my mouth shut. Could be I'm just feeling argumentative after my Packers lost their perfect season today. :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

The way i see it is if you cant put a flippy cap on you probbly shouldnt be running a saw.They go on exactly the same way every time.

Pretty condescending of you... I would hope that you would never have any issue with a chainsaw ever otherwise someone could throw the same back at you.

Dear MR Stihl Man & Santa , all I want for Xmas is a new 660 built like a 066 ...I don't want flippy caps and please no EPA ####. please please please ....and P.S Santa, please only supply the flippy flappy cap for the little boys who find joy in a good flippy cap saw ...thanks ,regards your good boy widow :smile2:

Maybe it's a patented design. Nuff said. ;)

Sure even good old Henry Ford patented his designs, no shortage of cars with all kinds of the same features, just to cite ONE example.

Lots of ways to get around patents if there is a need for it. The fact that NO ONE has tried speaks volumes. No - Stihl OWNS the flippy and every other manufacturer was smart enough to see what an abortion they are. They have ALL been smart enough NOT to follow that path.

Sure even good old Henry Ford patented his designs, no shortage of cars with all kinds of the same features, just to cite ONE example.

Lots of ways to get around patents if there is a need for it. The fact that NO ONE has tried speaks volumes. No - Stihl OWNS the flippy and every other manufacturer was smart enough to see what an abortion they are. They have ALL been smart enough NOT to follow that path.

I honestly don't give a carp one way or another about the flippy caps. If I'm running a saw that has them, I of course have to use them. Never had a single mishap. If I'm running a saw that doesn't have them, no biggie, I always have a scrench in one of the tool pockets on my Carhartts while cutting anyway.

I just get a constant kick out of folks who get their panties in a bunch over this kind of detail.

At some point a feller has to shrug, shut up, and cut.

Or not. :rock:

they had a _recall_ on flippies (someone here said--this evidence is inadmissible in court)

nuff said. :hmm3grin2orange:

but in case you need more, i overstated my case in the last great revival of the "ultimate flippy cap poll" or whatever...

I honestly don't give a carp one way or another about the flippy caps. If I'm running a saw that has them, I of course have to use them. Never had a single mishap. If I'm running a saw that doesn't have them, no biggie, I always have a scrench in one of the tool pockets on my Carhartts while cutting anyway.

I just get a constant kick out of folks who get their panties in a bunch over this kind of detail.

I agreeeeeeee. seems like most people who hate flippys dont/havent owned saws that have them....... for the record i have no problems with the old style screw in caps either

Stihl should just make the screw caps standard across the board , and have the flippy as a option for the ones who like the flippy ....we are the ones paying $$ for the saws. I believe we have the right to like them or hate them, based on what ever we like or dislike in there factory design ...either way if I could choose the screw caps over the flippy I would consider parting with my hard earned money, and people liking the flippy over the screw cap, they will also be catered for ....cheers

My first experence with flippy caps was with my girlfriends 260. From that saw I hated them. I had to use a pair of pliers to pull it out and had to wrestle it back in. I bought a new cap that did not help. Everyone said I was retarded that I couldn't figure it out. Come to find out the gas tank was not molded right from the git. I now have two 250's, one 361, one 460, one 880, and a ht 131 with flippy caps. They all work very easly, like THALL's video on them. The 250's are a little rougher because the tanks are not molded as nice as the pro saws. I only had one wear out and that was the oil cap on the 260. It might just be that saw. I have gone through dozens of caps on my 170,180, and 660. The slot in the cap is to thick for the scrench and it strips them out after a while. Although cheaper, I have spent much more money on the screw in caps than the flippy caps. My two fs 46's, fs 250 and mm55 have screw caps but have a tab to work with your fingers. I have not had to replace one yet and love them. If you are having problems with the flippy caps maybe you have a poorly molded tank.

Last edited:
Pretty condescending of you... I would hope that you would never have any issue with a chainsaw ever otherwise someone could throw the same back at you.
Did i hurt your feelings? If so im sorry ill call stihl tommorow so they can send you a towl to wipe your tears.Ive ran hundreds of gallons of gas through a 460 and never a problem with the caps except i melted 1 on the muffler.

Last edited:
My first experence with flippy caps was with my girlfriends 260. From that saw I hated them. I had to use a pair of pliers to pull it out and had to wrestle it back in. I bought a new cap that did not help. Everyone said I was retarded that I couldn't figure it out. Come to find out the gas tank was not molded right from the git. I now have two 250's, one 361, one 460, one 880, and a ht 131 with flippy caps. They all work very easly, like THALL's video on them. The 250's are a little rougher because the tanks are not molded as nice and the pro saws. I only had one wear out and that was the oil cap on the 260. It might just be that saw. I have gone through dozens of caps on my 170,180, and 660. The slot in the cap is to thick for the scrench and it strips them out after a while. Although cheaper, I have spent much more money on the screw in caps than the flippy caps. My two fs 46's, fs 250 and mm55 have screw caps but have a tab to work with your fingers. I have not had to replace one yet and love them. If you are having problems with the flippy caps maybe you have a poorly molded tank.
Thats a good point the one I have had the most problems with is the 250 on my pro Stihls They have worked ok.

:cheers:

My 441 might take a whiz all over my leg one day.

I'll just yell BAD DOG, go clean my britches and try again.

Long as it keeps acting as angry as it does, I won't complain too much. :msp_thumbsup:

HOWEVER!!!

I will preface it with this, the gas cap not sealing could turn into something a little more..interesting if the saw was held in such a way as to make the gas run over the hot engine, but would assume you would find out it wasn't seated long before getting in that position.

But it is a pretty simple design, Held them in my hand and closed them, watched how the little piece inside compresses the o-ring to make the seal.

Could it be better designed? Probably.

Would it stop me from buying a saw that I really liked? Nope.

Seems to me there are more important things to consider when buying a saw.

IMHO of course... :smile2:

Why hasn't someone designed a flippy to screw cap adapter yet? They would be rich....and the customer would have the option.

Latest posts

Back