Stihl Flippy Caps

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is a fact... a source of genetic pride for our family, kinda like graduating kindergarden or something else equivalent.

Just thinking out loud here, no insults intended...

If you're just sparring for the simple fact that you're bored and there is nothing good on the tube tonight... cheers! :cheers: No insult taken.

If there is more to it than that, well... what the hell... cheers either way!

Take into consideration not all flip caps are designed the same and they most certainly do not function the same. My little homeowner 211 has an oil cap that has give even the most diehard flip cap lover serous issues. The caps on my 362 work fine, and the cap on my 110 trimmer now works better with the new cap Stihl gave me for free.:smile2:

Fact is there was no logical reason for the flip caps to exist, other than making one more part that you have to buy from Stihl, just like their $20.00 fuel line, and $40.00 air filters.

Lets say, we have two 1/2 Rachets, and one rachet has a Star Shape on the back for clockwise and counterclockwise turning, and this star requires 2 turns in either direction to get the desired direction.

The second rachet has a little lever and only requires 1/2 of a turn for a direction change.

Now lets say that 1,000,043 people have the first rachet that requires 2 turns figured out, lets say that everyone (mentally) can handle that simple system of the star shape and the 2 turns.

Now lets say that 1,000,000 people can also figure out the second rachet with the little lever and the 1/2 turn manipulation, BUT there are 43 people that can't seem to figure it out, and in addition to the lack of mental capacity to correctly obtain the correct direction desired, they now have taken to writing about how they can't figure the system out and how the system must be faulty and it doesn't work .....................?????????????? When there are 1,000,000 that can successfully figure it out and don't have any problems with it.

Honestly, what are we to think about those noisy 43 people?
That is a serious question. Would somone please answer that? Because I can't for the life of me figure out why someone would get up in front of thousands or millions of other people and more or less brag about not being able to figure out how to work a system that most everyone else doesn't even think about its so simple, and if the cap is broken, then go to a Stihl dealer and they will give you a new one for free, if not it costs about $6 dollars. I've got caps that have lasted for 6 years and are still as good and easy to work today as they were 6 years ago, and I know I'm not the abnormality, LOL.

Just wondering, nothing is meant as an insult, just thinking out loud,

Sam

Last edited:
Take into consideration not all flip caps are designed the same and they most certainly do not function the same. My little homeowner 211 has an oil cap that has give even the most diehard flip cap lover serous issues. The caps on my 362 work fine, and the cap on my 110 trimmer now works better with the new cap Stihl gave me for free.:smile2:

Fact is there was no logical reason for the flip caps to exist, other than making one more part that you have to buy from Stihl, just like their $20.00 fuel line, and $40.00 air filters.

Give this man a cookie. Nothing more to see here folks, move along to the next oil thread.:help:

I'm reminded of the time there was a problem with my first car, a VW Corrado. The engine would race and would sometimes I could not shift gears without a helluva lot of trouble. I was driving a friend of mine somewhere before I could bring it in, and he kept saying that I didn't know how to drive a stick shift. After repeatedly telling him that there was something wrong with the car, and him saying there wasn't, and that I just didn't know how to drive, my blood started boiling. Finally I pulled the car over - and this in a somewhat dangerous area of Los Angeles - and screamed at him to drive the car himself. After about a block he told me "I think there's something wrong with your car". How someone could have presupposed to tell me what was or was not wrong with my car without having driven it was astounding to me.

The fact that someone's kid can operate his flippy caps says nothing about whether that someone can himself operate the flippy cap that's giving me trouble, even though I can easily operate my other flippy cap (all my other Stihls have the old-style caps). Unfortunately the Stihl dealers in Canada that I've talked to seem to know nothing about any cap recall. But they have agreed with me that the caps are awful and have generated many complaints. Perhaps it's a regional thing where Stihl shipped different caps, perhaps again only on certain products.

The fact that someone's kid can operate his flippy caps says nothing about whether that someone can himself operate the flippy cap that's giving me trouble, even though I can easily operate my other flippy cap (all my other Stihls have the old-style caps). Unfortunately the Stihl dealers in Canada that I've talked to seem to know nothing about any cap recall. But they have agreed with me that the caps are awful and have generated many complaints. Perhaps it's a regional thing where Stihl shipped different caps, perhaps again only on certain products.

So if you have ascertained that the flippy cap is truly at fault, have you replaced it?

If you had a screw cap that leaked (and they do leak both Husky and Stihl's both leak from time to time), would you get on here and complain that the screw cap leaks and malfunctions or would you just go to the dealer and buy a new one and shut up about it?

Its really not that hard of a concept, its a cap.

Sam

Take into consideration not all flip caps are designed the same and they most certainly do not function the same. My little homeowner 211 has an oil cap that has give even the most diehard flip cap lover serous issues. The caps on my 362 work fine, and the cap on my 110 trimmer now works better with the new cap Stihl gave me for free.

The hammer hits the nail squarely on the head. Very well said, sir!

Here we have two oil flip caps out of two chainsaws. Do they look the same? are they both well made? Sure one is from a homeowner saw, but why have a different cap on every dang piece of equipment you make. I understand size comes into play, but come on, it's about making parts you have to buy from Stihl. Why did they go back to screw caps on their trimmers, blowers? Simple Stihl makes more money on trimmers, and they sell more trimmers in a week than saws in a month.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:

Yep, I have the same problem on my ms 210.Do you, Slamm have a 210-211 saw?I have no problems with the 391 or the gas cap on the 210 for that matter.It's not a matter of being stupid.The dang thang is harder to get my paws on on the 210 for one thing.It's covered too much by the handle bar.Maybe a 4 year old would have better luck since they have a lot smaller hands.

omfg, you fellers are still on this?

to paraphrase an old korean war vet pal wrt anything odd and goofy--in this case...controversial fuel and oil tank access-point closures:

Son, you need TWO of those...(huh, what?) I say you need TWO of those, ONE to #### on and ANOTHER one to cover it up with.

:hmm3grin2orange::D:biggrin::msp_tongue::blob2:

Now lets say that 1,000,043 people have the first rachet that requires 2 turns figured out, lets say that everyone (mentally) can handle that simple system of the star shape and the 2 turns.

Now lets say that 1,000,000 people can also figure out the second rachet with the little lever and the 1/2 turn manipulation, BUT there are 43 people that can't seem to figure it out, and in addition to the lack of mental capacity to correctly obtain the correct direction desired, they now have taken to writing about how they can't figure the system out and how the system must be faulty and it doesn't work .....................?????????????? When there are 1,000,000 that can successfully figure it out and don't have any problems with it.

Honestly, what are we to think about those noisy 43 people?
Just wondering, nothing is meant as an insult, just thinking out loud,

Sam

You may probably good with chainsaws but I seriously doubt your mathematical skills.
Before you start pissing on other AS members about their inability to operate a flippy cap, you should try to read first and understand the points made before you start to open your almighty knowing mouth.

1. 43 complaints.

If you had taken the time to read the first posts, they talk about 43% of the Stihl owners who voted, not 43 people....a little differance, eh...:help:
In the one big poll alone, 43% of the voters, i.e. 202 AS Members, which I consider to be regular saw users, voted against the Stihl cap. No need to brag about the intelligence level of your children, I am pretty much convinced ALL members know how to operate the famous Stihl cap.

2. how to operate

The point is not that the anti flippy cap crowd does not know how to operate them ; the point is that they dislike them for very particular reasons, all well documented. I can see you don't like to listen or read to other members comments, but that is your problem all along of course, not only in this thread. Not everybody likes to drink your coolaid, maybe it's time you start realizing that.

3. Zillions of other "satisfied" Stihl equipment users.

If nearly half of the professional and regular saw users on this forum considers them caps to be junk, wouldn't it be logical to assume that there may be a reasonable percentage of the zillion non professional users also not being satisfied about them caps ? I'd say may be even a higher percentage, based on the fact that joe homeowner has certainly less experience than the professional folks ? Nobody knows those numbers for real, but I am sure the Stihl dealers have a good hunch, but are afraid to confirm it....eh Thall ???

4. Stihl N° 1

Please stop using arguments Stihl being N°1 as an excuse for covering up a product flaw. Ignoring the problem is not going to help Stihl staying where they are. But like Thall said, they are going back to screwed caps on the smaller equipment, so that may be a good sign.

I was done with the flippy cap subject long ago, but if you see someone defend a hopeless case with false arguments, numbers and statistics, it's a bit difficult to stay on the side.

Once you get used to them, flippy caps are handy. You just have to make sure they fit tightly after filling up.

There's definitely a learning-curve...well, or more appropriately, an "experience-curve" as there isnt much to "learn"

I still prefer the old style, but the flippy caps arent nearly as bad once you get used to them as they are when you first see them.

You may probably good with chainsaws but I seriously doubt your mathematical skills.
Before you start pissing on other AS members about their inability to operate a flippy cap, you should try to read first and understand the points made before you start to open your almighty knowing mouth.

1. 43 complaints.

If you had taken the time to read the first posts, they talk about 43% of the Stihl owners who voted, not 43 people....a little differance, eh...:help:
In the one big poll alone, 43% of the voters, i.e. 202 AS Members, which I consider to be regular saw users, voted against the Stihl cap. No need to brag about the intelligence level of your children, I am pretty much convinced ALL members know how to operate the famous Stihl cap.

2. how to operate

The point is not that the anti flippy cap crowd does not know how to operate them ; the point is that they dislike them for very particular reasons, all well documented. I can see you don't like to listen or read to other members comments, but that is your problem all along of course, not only in this thread. Not everybody likes to drink your coolaid, maybe it's time you start realizing that.

3. Zillions of other "satisfied" Stihl equipment users.

If nearly half of the professional and regular saw users on this forum considers them caps to be junk, wouldn't it be logical to assume that there may be a reasonable percentage of the zillion non professional users also not being satisfied about them caps ? I'd say may be even a higher percentage, based on the fact that joe homeowner has certainly less experience than the professional folks ? Nobody knows those numbers for real, but I am sure the Stihl dealers have a good hunch, but are afraid to confirm it....eh Thall ???

4. Stihl N° 1

Please stop using arguments Stihl being N°1 as an excuse for covering up a product flaw. Ignoring the problem is not going to help Stihl staying where they are. But like Thall said, they are going back to screwed caps on the smaller equipment, so that may be a good sign.

I was done with the flippy cap subject long ago, but if you see someone defend a hopeless case with false arguments, numbers and statistics, it's a bit difficult to stay on the side.

Belgian,

I don't know if we can permit reasoning and logic on this site.:msp_thumbup:;):laugh:

I'm not really a Stihl guy, I've got a couple and that will do me, thank you. They build a good saw, no doubt about that, I just find them harder and more expensive to work on than other saws. I like my old iron.

Anyway, I said this before, but a flippy cap is an over engineered piece of garbage built to fix a problem that didn't exist. There was nothing wrong with the screw caps. Period.

I have no complaints,actually like the half turn cap things,my father had issues at first(veteran forestry worker) but likes them now and i can honestly say i have never had to replace one while i've had to replace 2 screw caps from said veteran tightening with scrench and cracking... obviously a lot of ppl have problems though..i'd love to see something like the new tank caps on cars,spring loaded push in cap type thing(of course that would have major issues too but i'd love it)

Update from Stihl USA

This is the response I got today, copied verbatim except names deleted to protect the flippy challenged.

Mr. XXXXXX,

We are in receipt of and thank you for your email and comments.

Best regards,
Bob Myers
Technical Support and Customer Support Lead
---------------------------------------------------------
STIHL INCORPORATED
536 Viking Drive
Virginia Beach, VA 23452-7391
Phone: (757) 498-7599
Fax: (800) 784-8576
E-Mail: [email protected]
Internet: STIHL – The Number One Selling Brand of Chain Saws – Outdoor Power Tools - Locate an Independent STIHL Dealer
---------------------------------------------------------

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Sunday, December 18, 2011 5:17 PM
To: US/SCC-cs Customer Service; [email protected]
Subject: STIHL Web Site E-mail - Product Complaint

This e-mail is from XXXXXXX.

Subject: Product Complaint
Name: XXXXXX
Address1: God's Country
Address2:
City: Onalaska
State: Wisconsin
Zip: 54650
Phone Number:

Where Did You Hear About Us: Web site link

Comments: I have owned a Stihl 028 Super chainsaw and Stihl straight
shaft brushcutter for over 20 years.

I have recently bought 2 new chainsaws recently, a Makita 6401 and
Husqvarna 346Xp. I wouldn't even consider a Stihl because I detest the
"flippy caps" so much. In my opinion the flippy caps were a solution to
a problem that wouldn't exhist.

Can you make your pro line saws without this worthless feature? As long
as you continue with these caps, I will not consider a Stihl.

Thanks,

XXXXXXXX
Does STIHL have permission to publish your comments?: Yes, in the
scrapbook and in other forms of media.

If you are not the legitimate recipient, please send the e-mail back and delete it
on your system. Any unauthorized use or transfer of confidential information
may have legal consequences.

Okay so we have Stihl selling 6 million units, sure some of them don't have flippy caps, so maybe 2-3 million products have flippy caps .......... maybe just 1 million, .............. thats 1,000,000 units, and we have a few polls on Arboristsite where say 43-60 people don't like them .................. is that really a failure??

Not trying to sound like an elitist or anything, but after using and loving both flippy and screw caps on saws for many years and hundreds of gallons, I guess, I get the feeling that I would have to remove at least say 65% of my brain and then while the wound was still fresh and dripping with blood, I could still probably figure out how to successfully get them on correctly with the second try, LOL. I don't see how some of you figure out how to actually start these saws or sharpen the chains if you can't figure out something as simple as a flippy cap.

Below is a video my 11 year old son operating a flippy cap. Special note here: He is not a professional and hasn't had much if any training or experience with flippy caps .... yet see how wickedly fast he works that cap, LOL. I get the feeling that this video will simply amaze some of you ......... and that is really sad.

Just here to help,

Sam

I lived closer to you I bring my saws over and show you the difference between a flippy cap that works and one that doesnt.

Back