Stihl Flippy Caps

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lets say, we have two 1/2 Rachets, and one rachet has a Star Shape on the back for clockwise and counterclockwise turning, and this star requires 2 turns in either direction to get the desired direction.

The second rachet has a little lever and only requires 1/2 of a turn for a direction change.

Now lets say that 1,000,043 people have the first rachet that requires 2 turns figured out, lets say that everyone (mentally) can handle that simple system of the star shape and the 2 turns.

Now lets say that 1,000,000 people can also figure out the second rachet with the little lever and the 1/2 turn manipulation, BUT there are 43 people that can't seem to figure it out, and in addition to the lack of mental capacity to correctly obtain the correct direction desired, they now have taken to writing about how they can't figure the system out and how the system must be faulty and it doesn't work .....................?????????????? When there are 1,000,000 that can successfully figure it out and don't have any problems with it.

Honestly, what are we to think about those noisy 43 people?
That is a serious question. Would somone please answer that? Because I can't for the life of me figure out why someone would get up in front of thousands or millions of other people and more or less brag about not being able to figure out how to work a system that most everyone else doesn't even think about its so simple, and if the cap is broken, then go to a Stihl dealer and they will give you a new one for free, if not it costs about $6 dollars. I've got caps that have lasted for 6 years and are still as good and easy to work today as they were 6 years ago, and I know I'm not the abnormality, LOL.

Just wondering, nothing is meant as an insult, just thinking out loud,

Sam

Do you have a Stihl tattoo on your arm?

So if you have ascertained that the flippy cap is truly at fault, have you replaced it?

If you had a screw cap that leaked (and they do leak both Husky and Stihl's both leak from time to time), would you get on here and complain that the screw cap leaks and malfunctions or would you just go to the dealer and buy a new one and shut up about it?

Its really not that hard of a concept, its a cap.

Sam
The cap works, if you can get it to work. Therein lies the rub. Getting it work seems to be a matter of luck more than anything... I will be positive that it will work, but when that cap flips down one side comes up.

The canadian Stihl dealers I have talked to are in agreement that the caps in general suck, but when I last asked there was no awareness of a cap recall. Perhaps they were not recalled in Canada.

Every time I go to fill up I think that will be the time I will figure out what magic is needed to make it work. It never is.

For the past 10 years, all I've had and used was a Stihl MS170 with regular caps. Last month I bought a Stihl MS290 Farm Boss with flippy caps. I love these flippy caps. But that's just me.

Don <><

Flippy Caps

Stihl have many of both, never had a problem with either after this many years, just saying.

A friend let me borrow his Stihl chainsaw pole pruner.

I tell ya, whoever the engineer was that designed the flippy caps should be shot, and the engineering manager who approved of the design should be right along side of him when they say "FIRE!". :msp_mad: :mad2:

I fill up the saw, and get it fired up. Pick it up, go to cut a branch overhead and feel my knee/calf getting wet. There went the first tank of fuel. Then it took me about 10 minutes to get the durn thing on the tank so it wouldn't leak.

AAARRRRRGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It could have been worse, it could have been the oil reservoir cap that is by the chain. I'd have gotten a bath for sure!

user error

it's a true story

I use my neighbors Stihl pole saw all the time. The caps are very difficult to seat.:frown:
yes, that's the point. Stihl let some of the influence that happens when you have a mfg'ing plant in the US of Consumer Protection Idiotproofing Land bleed over into the R&D section of their formerly astute German-only (Jawohl!) engineering section and some Kid(Kinder ja) fresh out of engineering school who musta felt guilty about the salary he was knocking down just re-numbering saw models and so HE decided (or a she possibly (lord that would explain everything)) of orange and white. AND He/She being fresh out of a school in 'Merica where the OCCUPY your SAFETY with STICKERS agency (OSHAT-or whatever) has power and influence upon the Educational(?) subjects and angles from which they are taught in higher education/indoctrination-'specially the engineering schools (where i hear they're developing a flippy five-gallon bucket so that infants won't go swimming in them unattended). Yes, being fresh out of this school his head polluted with theory and liability and no-thing such as experience, HE proposed the design, and they (the great ones of orange/white) attempting to thwart the Great Society of Litigiousness, ACCEPTED such foolishness.

THEN they had to recall a bunch of them because many saw users experienced and inexperienced but read the book anyway (and the stickers-stickers save lives!) got themselves all doused in 100:1 fuel mix (that's the only legal ratio right?) and I hope no one got burned. But often times a recall is predicated upon an ACTUAL injury (yes they could have paid someone who got burned (or his heirs) and agreed to keep it out of the media-happens all the time)

I got my leg wet too-and that's a dangerous sichiation being soaked in gas and all. SO they recalled 'em in order to supply you with Flippy 1.1 the new, less-flawed edition, while i'm still out 10 USD because I replaced the one that broke, even though i'm real gentle on equipment.

WHEN it's much simpler to buy a saw from Electrolux or Makita or take your freakin' pick. I'm done with 'em...which is easier done by an amateur (who is his own saw tech) than a professional who doesn't have his own/do his own saw tech.

A cap with a fresh gasket practically never needs a wrench, and _doesn't leak_. Cheap/easy to renew gaskets are the hallmark of a great cap ATWO. But you see they don't teach this in the OSHAT seminars that all the up-and-coming engineers are forced to watch at the threat of certain liability (this society's "gunpoint").

o-rings rule.

++++++ on edit

oh my, someone hadn't had his coffee this morning.

Last edited:
yes, that's the point. Stihl let some of the influence that happens when you have a mfg'ing plant in the US of Consumer Protection Idiotproofing Land bleed over into the R&D section of their formerly astute German-only (Jawohl!) engineering section and some Kid(Kinder ja) fresh out of engineering school who musta felt guilty about the salary he was knocking down just re-numbering saw models and so HE decided (or a she possibly (lord that would explain everything)) of orange and white. AND He/She being fresh out of a school in 'Merica where the OCCUPY your SAFETY with STICKERS agency (OSHAT-or whatever) has power and influence upon the Educational(?) subjects and angles from which they are taught in higher education/indoctrination-'specially the engineering schools (where i hear they're developing a flippy five-gallon bucket so that infants won't go swimming in them unattended). Yes, being fresh out of this school his head polluted with theory and liability and no-thing such as experience, HE proposed the design, and they (the great ones of orange/white) attempting to thwart the Great Society of Litigiousness, ACCEPTED such foolishness.

THEN they had to recall a bunch of them because many saw users experienced and inexperienced but read the book anyway (and the stickers-stickers save lives!) got themselves all doused in 100:1 fuel mix (that's the only legal ratio right?) and I hope no one got burned. But often times a recall is predicated upon an ACTUAL injury (yes they could have paid someone who got burned (or his heirs) and agreed to keep it out of the media-happens all the time)

I got my leg wet too-and that's a dangerous sichiation being soaked in gas and all. SO they recalled 'em in order to supply you with Flippy 1.1 the new, less-flawed edition, while i'm still out 10 USD because I replaced the one that broke, even though i'm real gentle on equipment.

WHEN it's much simpler to buy a saw from Electrolux or Makita or take your freakin' pick. I'm done with 'em...which is easier done by an amateur (who is his own saw tech) than a professional who doesn't have his own/do his own saw tech.

A cap with a fresh gasket practically never needs a wrench, and _doesn't leak_. Cheap/easy to renew gaskets are the hallmark of a great cap ATWO. But you see they don't teach this in the OSHAT seminars that all the up-and-coming engineers are forced to watch at the threat of certain liability (this society's "gunpoint").

o-rings rule.

++++++ on edit

oh my, someone hadn't had his coffee this morning.

Great post!

The sad fact is that this is true in all facets of our society. Is it a stretch to see why things are going to he!!.:frown:

Great post!

The sad fact is that this is true in all facets of our society. Is it a stretch to see why things are going to he!!.:frown:

thanks. yeah, i was painting the big picture with a little brush. and killing time for the water to boil...:hmm3grin2orange:

Take into consideration not all flip caps are designed the same and they most certainly do not function the same. My little homeowner 211 has an oil cap that has give even the most diehard flip cap lover serous issues. The caps on my 362 work fine, and the cap on my 110 trimmer now works better with the new cap Stihl gave me for free.:smile2:

Fact is there was no logical reason for the flip caps to exist, other than making one more part that you have to buy from Stihl, just like their $20.00 fuel line, and $40.00 air filters.[/QUOTE]

I take issue with that statement sir Andrew. I sold a new HD filter to a guy today, they list for 47.50
not 40.00. He cried like a baby with a diaper full of hot kerosene buring his hiny. I frankly loved every minute of it,:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Way back when you and Andy got those free ones, I just had to have one too.

Cool beans. I still got my 880. I bet I haven't put 1 hour of cutting on it. That saw is abit much for me, opppppps, I mean I'm abit much for that little ole saw,hehehe

I kind of miss the old crew from here. I could listen to your guys banter for hours. Learned a lot too. I have been lurking since 2003. Had to sign up in 07 so I could see embedded pics.

I kind of miss the old crew from here. I could listen to your guys banter for hours. Learned a lot too. I have been lurking since 2003. Had to sign up in 07 so I could see embedded pics.

I'm with ya. Ole Lakeside was a gem indeed. I really miss him in here. He was one smart cat and his dry sense of humor was hilairous. I miss the the old crew too, we had some wild debates for sure and alot of fun, cheers!!

all the new 660's/880's in the Stihl dealers have the flippy caps ,well in OZ anyways ....i guess there might be some old stock still on the shelves somewhere? but yeah if I'm gonna purchase a 660/880 ill be looking for the ones with the traditional screw caps (personal preference) ....066's & 084's are what Ill be buying! I love stihl saws, but won't go down the flippy road again .... i prefer a screw ......cap :biggrin:

As far as I know the 880's always had flippy caps but I have never seen a 660 with flippys. As you can see by my sig I have a large range of saws with and without flippy caps. I have only ever seen one of my flippy caps come out and that was more my fault than the caps. There are some screw in caps that are a pain to use and I have had many screw in caps come loose and fall out. Personally I don't hate either type but I do like to use the flippy caps.

If 660's are being supplied with flippy caps I will have to check one out:)

Regards

Phil

Never dealt with Flippy Caps (yet). But statistics are statistics, if you can verify them. And there is no such word as "Irregardless". Just being amused at 3 a.m. and putting in my 2 cents. Have a great weekend, guys.

Back