Stihl FS90 parts unavailable

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dhamblet

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
This really ticked me off. I have had a Stihl FS90AV weedeater/brushcutter for about 20 years now. I take care of it and it really doesn't get used a ton so it still starts and runs great. BUT, the white plastic fuel tank developed a crack in it (appears to be a factory defect) and started to leak a couple years ago. I fixed it with heat and JB weld but it doesn't last long. ANyway, I went to my dealer to buy a new tank and they tell me it is NLA. WHat a bunch of garbage. Trash a $400 weedeater for want of a $25 fuel tank. I buy Stihl tools (2 chainsaws, a hedge trimmer, weedeater, Kombitool with pole pruner, etc) cause I know they are durable and I plan to own them for a long time. But this has given me pause to reconsider if I want to continue doing business with a company that does not support its customers. If they aren't going to last anyway I might just as well get the cheap crap. :censored::censored::censored: Totally P.O.ed.

Do a search on Seal-All . I used it to fix a long crack in my FS80AVR gas tank and it's still good. It does not cure rock hard which in this case is good. Something else to consider is that most areas have a small engine junk yard with good prices.

Last edited:
you ve had it for 20 years , thats doesnt sound bad to me. you definately got your moneys worth. i know it sucks to here NLA from a dealer,but be patient ,used ones will show up .

how can i say this? i have a 29 year old saw, a 25 year old tiller and a 20 year old chipper.

fix it

This really ticked me off. I have had a Stihl FS90AV weedeater/brushcutter for about 20 years now. I take care of it and it really doesn't get used a ton so it still starts and runs great. BUT, the white plastic fuel tank developed a crack in it (appears to be a factory defect) and started to leak a couple years ago. I fixed it with heat and JB weld but it doesn't last long. ANyway, I went to my dealer to buy a new tank and they tell me it is NLA. WHat a bunch of garbage. Trash a $400 weedeater for want of a $25 fuel tank. I buy Stihl tools (2 chainsaws, a hedge trimmer, weedeater, Kombitool with pole pruner, etc) cause I know they are durable and I plan to own them for a long time. But this has given me pause to reconsider if I want to continue doing business with a company that does not support its customers. If they aren't going to last anyway I might just as well get the cheap crap. :censored::censored::censored: Totally P.O.ed.

Fix it with Seal-All - it's fuel/oil resistant, we use it in our shop all the time and it doesn't last forever but it will fix it a long time and costs under $3. Stihl did recently discontinue many parts for that model because it's 25+ years old but many parts are still available for it. Give the seal-all a try, it will help you!

There is no part on an FS 90 that is NLA. If you have an old style FS 80, that is a different story. Also, that model was discontinued more than 20 years ago. Probably more like 30 if you bought it new. I had a guy in wanting parts for one yesterday. They are easy to find on Ebay, so you should be able to get it back in action. I believe an FS65 tank is the same, but not for sure.

Strange my dealer actually had several FS80 tanks already in stock and wanted about 22 bucks per. They also said that they could order as many as I was going to buy no problem. I got one that day and another about 6 months later for a friend who needed that part. Don't know why you couldn't find parts for the fs90 which I have the r version and I know it doesn't look like its terribly old. It certainly works fine still. I just hate using the head on it and I know it has a thing below it where it looks like I can put a blade on. Anyone have any thoughts on what blade? A local dealer says they get 70-90 per blade which sounds a bit high really. I have caught different workers there quoting totally different prices. A week ago they wanted less than a third what yesterday they did for the exact same chains? Only difference was the manager had the lower price and a weekend dummy who knows basically nothing pertaining to saws but works in a chainsaw shop. I realize this is a very old thread but its been added on to many times over the years already so why not? I also was curious if a McCulloch BC327 had the same power as the FS90r? The McCulloch is a bit hard to get going but once it is well it does the trick but is also quite loud. For 10 bucks I thought why not get the old McCulloch with its ugly yellow faded color.

Just for the record, there were Stihl models fs80 and fs90 made in the late 1970's thru the 1980's,
and a newer style fs75-fs80-fs85 in the 90's, and the current fs90r in the 2000's.
The older models were Japanese models, and very well made.

I have a friend that's looking for a piston and cylinder for a FS90. I looked and they're all pretty high priced, think for that price I'd just go buy a new trimmer. Actually I did buy a new Redmax last year and it seems to do the job..

Awesome example of necroposting! I hadone of those Red Ma made Stihl trimmers for years till carb problems made me sell it.

If anyone ever comes across a fuel tank for an FR 106 please let me know.

Latest posts

Back