Stihl has stolen my source of cheap bar oil ‼

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bar oil is cheap for me. It is on the top of the wish list for one of my sons to get me for Christmas. I don't go through that much oil in a year so a gallon jug is good for my needs. I guess it is a guy thing, son is happy but don't know if the DIL or better half appreciates it.:baaa: He has been getting the Husky oil for me.

The local Stihl dealer closed up shop a couple of years ago and now the local Hardware Hank hardware store is carrying the Stihl line. Hardware store is only 5 miles from home. Next closest one is double that.

I cut eight cord and go through about one half of a gallon per year maybe less.
I should clarify that my usage also includes a couple of my brothers saws...we cut a lot together. Generally I'm the gas mix and bar oil provider, in most cases. We don't cut 8 cord for sure...probably more like 6. Maybe my saws are over oiling, lol. I've got a couple of saws with non-adjust oilers that seem to eat it like it's going outta style. I'm sure that's the reason for consuming more than what's probably necessary. They both run Stihls with adjustable oilers. I just bought a new MS271, non-adjust, maybe it won't drink as much bar oil as my other stuff does. I won't really know until I get the new saw in wood this coming weekend...if the damn rain will let up, lol.

Bar oil is cheap for me. It is on the top of the wish list for one of my sons to get me for Christmas. I don't go through that much oil in a year so a gallon jug is good for my needs. I guess it is a guy thing, son is happy but don't know if the DIL or better half appreciates it.:baaa: He has been getting the Husky oil for me.

The local Stihl dealer closed up shop a couple of years ago and now the local Hardware Hank hardware store is carrying the Stihl line. Hardware store is only 5 miles from home. Next closest one is double that.
DIL and better half will never appreciate it, lol. But you're happy, and it's easy on the sons wallet. He can focus his money on the younger crowds Christmas, if any children, nieces, nephews, etc. I'm the same way with my kids. They don't have any kids, yet...knock on wood, but I've always told them, if we wake up on Christmas morning together, healthy and happy...there's my Christmas right there. When they pressure me for what I want, I tell 'em a little amount gift card to Lowes, HD, Academy Sports, something like that. I'm pretty simple when it comes to Christmas...I like to focus on the groceries going on the grill, and the cold beers, Crown Royal, or Wild Turkey. :)

Hmm sounds like the store you could be referring to starts with the letter B and ends in ars. I drive my there new mega million dollar warehouse everyday. Our 2 stores had a lot of husqvarna piece parts on clearance. Echo and Stihl only now. Still some chain and bars on the shelf at regular price

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I do save it... use it for dust control on the driveway and starting slash/trash pile fires.
If I start getting too much collected, I just walk along the wood stacks and pour on the top (adds to the BTUs and makes a fine water repellant :D).
Oh... and if ya' have a problem groundhog, pouring a gallon or two down the hole will cause 'em to vacate the den permanently.
But I don't want that filthy stuff in my saw ‼
if you had a tractor supply company near you, they have bar oil on sale for 7$ per jug.

How long does a gallon last you guys that you gotta shop around for cheap oil. $4.00 a year to cut wood hardly seems like it will put a strain on anyone's budget.
Your saw run time is much lower when you are just bucking a truckload of cull logs compared to starting from a standing tree. And like spidey said, it's just the principle of paying $10 (or more) for stinkin BAR OIL

I hope our Fleet Store don't change but I keep seeing the Husky stuff on sale so maybe they are trying to clear out here also. On a good not, they still had the bar oil by the auto so I picked up a few gallons. I'm thinking Spidy is right and that's going out next.

For years our local fleet store has sold Poulan and Husqvarna chainsaws, along with Husqvarna and Oregon accessories. They also sold a "plain-label" brand of bar 'n' chain oil that I liked... and I could buy it for as little as $3 on sale sometimes. So I just walked in there about an hour ago, wanting to replace my Husqvarna roller guide (the only Husqvarna thing I use) and thought I'd pick up a gallon of bar oil if some sort of sale was on.

Damn ‼ Couldn't believe my eyes. All the Poulan and Husqvarna stuff is gone... all of it gone... everything. What little bit of Oregon stuff there is has been squeezed onto an end cap. And along a very sizable section of the back wall is a brand new Stihl display... saws, pole saws, weed trimmers, blowers, edgers, and all sorts of accessories, PPE, axes, and whatnot.

And the only friggin' bar 'n' chain oil in the whole friggin' store is Stihl brand... I ain't paying that premium‼
What-the-hell is Stihl doing in a fleet store??
And of even more concern... what-the-hell am I gonna' do about bar oil??

supprised no one mentioned Napa I use there bar & chain oil , I like it . Don't know about price .

Back