Stihl has stolen my source of cheap bar oil ‼

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My understanding is that it is just strained through a fine filter to get rid of any particulate that may have ended up in the used oil barrel ie stuff like dirt or rust that fell off the vehicle into the drain pan when the oil was being drained or metal shavings from a failed part.

A lot of shops around here have furnaces that burn used oil. It gets strained a couple of times and then sprayed into a burner in a fine mist. Basically they save up all of the used oil all year and it heats the shop for most or all of the winter. They keep oil tanks inside though as it would sludge up if stored outside. Sometimes they do need to cut it with diesel if there was lots of heavy oil in a specific batch.
crazy,,it doesn't "sludge" up..it just gets toooo thick to flow outside...SUPPOSEDLY!!! reason I say this, is. when I worked at a ford dealer,,boss was supposed to take care of waste oil furnace........but he really didn't care if we froze.............so I learned how to take the whole pile of junk apart,,and keep it running..then I rigged up the 400 and 500 barrels outside, so that I pumped the oil out strictly by air pressure in the summer,,and air pressure reversed back in in the winter......then I found a used 1000 gal gas barrel,,and got that there,,and rigged it up also!! didn't matter how flippin cold it got,,three psi,,and it came back in!!!! during the day,,we'd bump it up,,and get the temp up,then as we left,,turn it down.....he never noticed!! 1 year after I left,, they gave up trying to keep the ancient one running,, and bought new!!!! :laughing::laughing:

crazy,,it doesn't "sludge" up..it just gets toooo thick to flow outside...SUPPOSEDLY!!! reason I say this, is. when I worked at a ford dealer,,boss was supposed to take care of waste oil furnace........but he really didn't care if we froze.............so I learned how to take the whole pile of junk apart,,and keep it running..then I rigged up the 400 and 500 barrels outside, so that I pumped the oil out strictly by air pressure in the summer,,and air pressure reversed back in in the winter......then I found a used 1000 gal gas barrel,,and got that there,,and rigged it up also!! didn't matter how flippin cold it got,,three psi,,and it came back in!!!! during the day,,we'd bump it up,,and get the temp up,then as we left,,turn it down.....he never noticed!! 1 year after I left,, they gave up trying to keep the ancient one running,, and bought new!!!! :laughing::laughing:
The shop that does my tire work and any repairs I don't care to tackle myself just uses gravity. The other problem is when you get water in the oil. The system will burn it all though if you can get it to move, pretty slick deal.

Curious about something...I could google it but what the hell's the fun in that. What is the process of 'straining/filtering' used motor oil?...Surely, lol, a little more process than what I use to strain/filter, high dollar LouAna peanut oil after a fish fry, through cheese cloth to get all the goodies out, to re-use.

Do they re-refine it somehow? A buddy of mine many yrs ago, his dad used to drive a fairly large tanker truck and collect used motor oil...what happened to it after that, I had and still have no idea. Again, just curious...
I made a setup..with DD filters,,off of a old two cycle..these are the steel cyl ones,,with inside cloth and paper elements....the first filter,,is 10 micron, the second is 5....sooo, a pump off of a soda fountain setup..moves about 2 1/2 gal a minute. then thru a ford engine filter, which is 20 ,microns, then thru the 10 filter,,then the five..60 microns, is a human hair...took about 120 in parts and stuff..but have put over 2000 gal thru it,,and many filters from first learning!!!!!!!!!!!!

The shop that does my tire work and any repairs I don't care to tackle myself just uses gravity. The other problem is when you get water in the oil. The system will burn it all though if you can get it to move, pretty slick deal.
when farmers and such,,brought their oil in,,i took the barrel, to near bottom,,then the rest in 5 gal pail. then slowly poured off to see if any water in it.......it dont take long sitting,,for the water to separate....:D:D

I made a setup..with DD filters,,off of a old two cycle..these are the steel cyl ones,,with inside cloth and paper elements....the first filter,,is 10 micron, the second is 5....sooo, a pump off of a soda fountain setup..moves about 2 1/2 gal a minute. then thru a ford engine filter, which is 20 ,microns, then thru the 10 filter,,then the five..60 microns, is a human hair...took about 120 in parts and stuff..but have put over 2000 gal thru it,,and many filters from first learning!!!!!!!!!!!!
Gotcha...I understand that theory.

when farmers and such,,brought their oil in,,i took the barrel, to near bottom,,then the rest in 5 gal pail. then slowly poured off to see if any water in it.......it dont take long sitting,,for the water to separate....:D:D
We did that with gas at the marine dealership too. Constantly had boats with water in the gas and that was the only way to dispose of it.

For performance purposes I don't see a thing wrong with running used filtered oil, especially hydraulic oil. However, used engine oil makes a black mess of the saw and whatever is around it so not worth it to me for that reason alone.

On another note I see Spidey has succeeded in cultivating an all-out oil thread in the firewood forum. Crafty little bastige, isn't he LOL

Looks like it is a larger version (with 22 locations) that is similar to my go-to store http://www.landmsupply.com/locations, which have the best Stihl prices around.

While they are a chain, I am assuming they offer at least some form of mechanical repairs which qualify them to be a "full service" dealer for Stihl as does L and M.

Well, I guess most of the folks here didn't know they might make a black mess of things. We must use a different oil out here. I don't really care if my saw gets dirty. I didn't buy it to hang on my wall and stare at, nor do most folks around here. I do not recall any black mess though, unless working in a burned up area and that black was from the charcoal and ash left behind. That gas station supplied a lot of folks, including production fallers.

I need professional help. Stopped by the local TSC to scout around a bit since I haven't been to this one in some time. Picked up a few discounted things then strolled to the saw isle. Could not get past the $5/gal bar oil without one following me to the checkout. Now I have about 13 gallons .

I got tired of paying for the high $$ oil, even our local COOP has their own off brand and its $9-10 a gallon. For my rock drills we use ISO 150 in winter and 220 in summer. It makes 80-90 look like hydraulic oil when it's cold. The 220 works great in summer on my saw and the 150 in winter. Seems to oil pretty decently. I get it from our oil dealer and its a Chevron oil. It's only around $4.50 a gallon which is nice

But... since when does Stihl set-up in fleet stores??

I believe Tractor Supply still has Husky product... if you have any nearby

Well, I guess most of the folks here didn't know they might make a black mess of things. We must use a different oil out here. I don't really care if my saw gets dirty. I didn't buy it to hang on my wall and stare at, nor do most folks around here. I do not recall any black mess though, unless working in a burned up area and that black was from the charcoal and ash left behind. That gas station supplied a lot of folks, including production fallers.
You are right, running used engine oil doesn't cause black sawdust goo to build up. I guess the saws I've owned and worked on that ran used engine oil must have had that black crud deposited from something else. Aliens maybe?

I've had the pleasure of seeing three nose sprocket bearings fail catastrophically.... all three were running used motor oil as bar 'n' chain lube (not claiming anything... just sayin').
I've had the pleasure of (clean) bar 'n' chain lube getting dripped, splattered, and whatnot on my cloths and boots but it always washes out... used motor oil stains never seem to wash out and they stink.
Clean oil, even bar 'n' chain oil, makes a fairly decent hand cleaner, especially for removing used motor oil and dirty grease... used motor oil just makes my hands worse dirty.
Used motor oil on leather gloves will cause them to wear out rapidly, whatever is in that used oil is rough on leather... clean bar 'n' chain lube on leather gloves makes them softer and near water proof.
Used motor oil is removed from the motor because it's lubricating properties have been diminished appreciably... new bar 'n' chain lube... well... it's new.

I have uses for used motor oil, such as dust control and starting slash fires.
But I ain't gonna' take it out'a one machine because it's useful life as a lubricant is over... and then pour it in another machine needing lubrication :confused:
But hey... that's just me.

i bought 3 gallons of rural king b&c oil because of the price. won't do that again. thinnest b&c oil i have ever encountered. back to TS for the next batch, or better yet the rare surprise of finding poulan in gallon jugs at walmart.

A long time ago, for snowmobile mix ago we use to bring a gallon jug in to the dealer and buy it off them from their barrel and they'd fill us up. Too bad they don't do that for bar oil. If I was a dealer I would probably entertain that idea but limit it to 2 gallons per customer per day (don't want to be filling up 5 gal pails for customers).

Back