STIHL in Honduras

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ETpilot

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I visited Honduras for about a month during the Christmas and New Years holiday. I stayed mainly in a small town out in the country. I got to travel the country pretty good. All that time I did not hear one chainsaw. All the cutting is done with axe or machete but mostly machete. The machete is a work tool and everyone seems to carry one.

So, I was quite surprised when I drove to the bigger city; El Progreso. I was driving down a street and there I saw it. A STIHL dealer. I had to stop and take a cell phone picture. I guess these saws are used in the bigger plantations.

Looks like they also sell tires and batteries. I did not go in the store. May do so next visit.

You are supposed to still get brand new Stihl Contras/090 in Latin American countries. Now that would have been a take home present!

I've only passed through Honduras. I'd like to hear more about your experience.

There are a fair amount of saws in the part of Nicaragua where I've spent some time. It's really just a few people who can afford such tools, though. There is still a little of the bigger timber left and lots of smaller stuff where I was. All the saws were either Oleo Mac 965 or Brazilian-made Stihl MS361. All 28" hardnose.

It's amazing how different each of the Central American countries is from the others! I really like the people in El Salvador and in Nicaragua, but those are the places where I've spent more time.

I posted last spring about "My first experience with Oleo Mac - in Nicaragua" with some photos. You may find it amusing.

Use of chainsaws in Honduras

Hello all! New to the site...
Just to comment on the use of chainsaws in Honduras, as I've done forestry work here for a number of years. It's quite true that most folks don't have access to chainsaws, but there is sufficient use to justify a market. Use also depends on the season, which would generally not occur during the wet season (June or July to January) in many regions. Unfortunately, the use is often unsustainable land clearance for cattle-grazing or agriculture, quite often in pristine forests, and not infrequently on protected lands. It's quite painful to see, and though there are certainly positive uses, I think greater regulation of the larger models would be wise.

Hello all! New to the site...
Just to comment on the use of chainsaws in Honduras, as I've done forestry work here for a number of years. It's quite true that most folks don't have access to chainsaws, but there is sufficient use to justify a market. Use also depends on the season, which would generally not occur during the wet season (June or July to January) in many regions. Unfortunately, the use is often unsustainable land clearance for cattle-grazing or agriculture, quite often in pristine forests, and not infrequently on protected lands. It's quite painful to see, and though there are certainly positive uses, I think greater regulation of the larger models would be wise.

Howdy! well, ya, thats a mess..but people also have to make a living. The entire planet cant be turned into tourist supported. You get people stuck between a rock and a hard place, they need crops to live and to sell, so they need farmland, which means clearing the trees. but they cant do that... and they restrict hardwood imports into the US and europe a lot, which means it is hard for them to sell wood like that there, (look at the guitar companies getting busted for alleged illegal wood)..so what are those folks there supposed to do?

With that said, you are cutting there? Got any more pics or stories? As to getting rid of the larger saws, seems like a ready market here for gently used newer production 090s or parts/kits.

If you're Stihl in Honduras I guess that's because you never left?!? :hmm3grin2orange:

Sorry, couldn't resist....

Back