Stihl light guide bars

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1Alpha1

100% USDA Certified Abnormality-Free.
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Okay, so I'm not 100% positive that i might have asked this previously, so I'll ask again.

How many of you use a light-weight guide bar, be it on a Stihl, or on one of those "other" brands of saw?

I know they are expensive and I've never owned or used one before. Are they worth the $$'s and do they really make that much of a difference?

Been thinkin bout gettin one for my 461R. :innocent:

IMO they do make a difference in longer lengths. i can't tell a difference at all in anything shorter then 24" sure there is likely a difference on the scale but so little it doesn't even matter when it comes to a users point of view. i run a 33" light weight and they are worth it to me but i cut for a living.

The only lightweight bar i use is a techlite on my 575xp. Its still a fat pig. That said, the techlite is very noticeably lighter than even a laminated oregon bar.

I have one on my 661 stihl es light and it is perfectly balanced. it weighs 3.2 lbs, also a 28 sugi ite on the 372xpw

I have one on my 441, and I think it was worth it. I paid around $130 though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Es light are great bars, I have a 28inch on my 460 and it rocks!

BTW, your dealer must have to make his boat payment, $169 for a 28inch ES light is wayyyy over list

Attachments

• SAM_2999.JPG
    SAM_2999.JPG
    99.9 KB · Views: 40
28" on a 460. I bought one because all the cool kids had them.

i-gChVpK5-M.jpg

I got a 562XP with a 24" Total Super lightweight bar. Compared to the Husqvarna bar the saw came with, it's a little more than a pound lighter. I haven't used either much yet, but it didn't seem that the light weight bar felt that much different in use. It turns out that the chain was about a pound for the 24" bar, so you could probably get a sense for how a lightweight bar would feel by removing the chain from your regular bar and hefting the powerhead + bar without chain. I got the Total Super bar for $90 from weedeaterman.

* 18 lb 5.7 oz : 562XP with 24" Husqvarna bar
* 17 lb 2.5 oz : 562XP with 24" Total Super light weight bar

1 lb 3.2 oz weight savings

I would love to get a 28 sugi for my mac.
You can moddify a 088/090 bar to work on a 125. I have a 60" bar for an 090 on an 890 and a 72" Cannon for a 090 on an 895 that work just fine. So a Sugi for an 880 will work. As I recal, you have to redrill an adjuster hole and possibly an oil hole, then use the Cannon spacers and you are set.

I have a 28" light on my 046 and two 372's with 28" Techlights. All balance perfectly, however the tip on one of the Techlight's had all but one rivit work loose and out. I would stay with a Stihl and an adapter or go Tsumura. My 36" Sugi bent and I haven't figured out why as it was never pried with or pinched. So I am shying away from their longer bars.

Latest posts

Back