Stihl Lightning info

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would say if it runs, 500. BUT thats if you shine it up real nice...take a few hours with soap and water and a toothbrush and get the font and back of all the covers so it looks real good and clean. Put a fresh plug in it and maybe try and find the missing broken parts for cheap.

Guys on fleebay lik shinylooking things rather than dirtyold saws

Why sell, it? Nice saw, big enough for anything, works good, and cheap. What more could a guy want.

wdchuck said:
Why sell, it? Nice saw, big enough for anything, works good, and cheap. What more could a guy want.

Let's see now... Unless you are collecting, sell it and buy a new 361 or 440!It's a neat old saws, but a pig to use...

I asked on another site about the approximate age of mine based on the serial No. 299938. Answer I got was that approx 1963. Assume yours is newer, but don't really know how the numbering system works?

Oh yes, nearly forgot look out for a leaky fuel tank. Very common problem on these, which mine has:(

Last edited:
Rear handle

I notice bigbadbob's Lightning has the newer 090-style rear handle, while Dan's has the old style, more open rear handle. Mine also has the new style handle and I have no reason to suspect the saw is anything but original.

Why the different handles? Were they, perhaps, replacement parts? Maybe Stihl used some new stock toward the end of the production run? Any ideas, insight?

Chris B.

Dan Forsh said:
Oh yes, nearly forgot look out for a leaky fuel tank. Very common problem on these, which mine has:(

Are you referring to the tank gasket? I bought mine with a leaky gasket, but it was a cinch to replace. You don't have to remove a thing from the saw. Just take the rear handle loose from the bottom and undo all the screws.

Chris B.

cbfarmall said:
Are you referring to the tank gasket? I bought mine with a leaky gasket, but it was a cinch to replace. You don't have to remove a thing from the saw. Just take the rear handle loose from the bottom and undo all the screws.

Chris B.

Yeah, that's the problem, but the concensus of opinion was that just changing the gasket wouldn't solve it long term. Epoxy type sealants were suggested.

Dan

Last edited:
Well a great big thanks to all who said to get the saw and sell it. It sold on the bay for just about $400 Canadian:yoyo: Am I ever surprized!!!
Never thought it would fetch that. Free beer at my place tonight, come on over. It will pay for my two saws, 024 new, piston rings, etc and yesterday I picked up a (2001) 026 with a 20in bar and new chain $200. I can now part with the homelites!!!!:biggrinbounce2:
Bob

Back