Stihl M Tronic issues across the board?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaseyForrest

I am NOT a tree freak.
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
After reading the 462 thread, I called my local dealer to tell him I want one when he gets them in. He isn't aware of a release date here in the states and asked what I knew about the saw. I gave him a brief rundown and when I told him it was M Tronic, he was surprised.

He told me that Stihl is having issues with the M Tronic system here in the states. He said he has customers like me that don't have any issues, but other customers cant get any of their M Tronic saws to run right. Now granted, Im just a firewood whore....

Is there something to the M Tronic system in general that Stihl is trying to figure out?

No.
Your dealer must not know how to repair saws, or his customer with other issues is blaming the m-tronic for everything. The Stihl MDG1 tester doesn't tell you fundamental issues with a saw.
I had a really low hour 661 that I was selling as I got a new mmws. I asked my Stihl tech how man actual hours. Got to watch him hook it up. Displayed hours, how many starts. He reset to factory codes. Whole process about 10 minutes. Pretty cool.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

I had a really low hour 661 that I was selling as I got a new mmws. I asked my Stihl tech how man actual hours. Got to watch him hook it up. Displayed hours, how many starts. He reset to factory codes. Whole process about 10 minutes. Pretty cool.

I asked him about track record. He said good. Replaced some modules and coils. A common misperception is that can't be flooded. A warranty claim for lean seizure. Pretty clear straight gassed but Stihl paid for repair.

No.
Your dealer must not know how to repair saws, or his customer with other issues is blaming the m-tronic for everything. The Stihl MDG1 tester doesn't tell you fundamental issues with a saw.

I doubt its his ability to repair saws.

He mentioned something about Stihl recognizing a general issue with the M Tronic system and looking for ways to address it. He made no mention of not being able to address his customers concerns.

Lets not jump to conclusions.

I asked him about track record. He said good. Replaced some modules and coils. A common misperception is that can't be flooded. A warranty claim for lean seizure. Pretty clear straight gassed but Stihl paid for repair.

Mine have been flawless, which is why it surprised me when he told me what he did. Thats why Im asking here, to see if its a general issue or localized to specific customers.

Some folks are reluctant to accept new tech and perhaps their preconceived notion of the new technology is tainting their ability to accept the change. If that makes sense. In other words... Its never going to run right because its different.....

Some people have problems with their M-tronic saws dying while idling or going rich and not starting sometimes on hot starts. My 362 does the latter. I've reset it to the factory settings (start, idle for 90 seconds in the start position, shut off). We'll see how that works. Other than the hot restart problem it runs well.

It'd be cool to have an aftermarket tool that could query the ECU and change settings like there are for some cars (i.e. VAG-COM, Accessport).

Soon there'll be EFI. It's been done on a few two stroke motorcycles, like Ossa trials bikes. Isn't the forthcoming MS500 FI?

We have 2 362s, bought at the same time.

Both had issues revving when cold. (Just bogs). One self fixed itself, the other has gotten worse.

Only difference between the 2 is one has a 20" bar, the other a 25".

I was told the majority of the issues are with the 362 and 661. A quick internet search does support this as well....

Both my 362 and 661 have had no issues though.

And to be clear... I'm not here to bash nor will I support any bashing. I'm looking for information because I found what I was told to be interesting.

I was told the majority of the issues are with the 362 and 661. A quick internet search does support this as well....

Both my 362 and 661 have had no issues though.

And to be clear... I'm not here to bash nor will I support any bashing. I'm looking for information because I found what I was told to be interesting.

The internet is a large part of the problem IMO. Like you, my MS362C has been fine. Occasionally it stumbles when first started, but by the time I'm ready to cut it does fine.

Still regret selling that one. Tried to buy it back.

My 661 is a little difficult sometimes on a warm start. Never had a problem a cold start. Sometimes I have to work the trigger on a warm start. I never bothered taking it back to be looked at.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

Once warmed up (and by warmed up I mean running for 20-30 seconds both run great. Not sure how the one that is acting up will fair this winter. I try to bring the saws in at night, but don't always remember.
Have had it where the recoil on one of the older saws was locked up -30*, had to thaw it out (probably a bit of melted snow froze).

I actually had no idea they were electronic carbs until I pulled the cover to adjust the carb and realized it wasn't going to be that easy.

Back