Stihl M Tronic issues across the board?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, didn't know there was a such thing actually.
Sorry, the MDG1 recalibration is only for the TS500i. It stores last settings onboard.
The MDG1 will detect problems with the M-Tronic electronic system.
I'd take it back the dealer and let them check it out. There are a few simple issues like this that can be pesky.Screenshot_20170923-205643.png

20170923_203139.png

This thread warms my heart. Guys give me crap over my 562, which I have no problems with. Stihl makes work saws without problems, Now I know better. Thanks

My local dealer told me they been having problems with the bigger cc saws. No problems with the 261c.

I have a 362 C, purchased new . . . Ran great for about a year, but now won't restart when the saw is warm and outside temp is about 50 degrees Fahrenheit or warmer. Starts just fine after about 30 minute rest. Seems to be a somewhat common issue.

My 241c-m wouldn’t start hot one time. Other than that it is flawless. This saw keeps up with bigger saws.

Eh, they have pros and cons.
I really like my m-tronic 661. 85-90 gallons through it milling & bucking, with Zero issues of any kind whatsoever. 2 bars, and 21 chains each hand filed till teeth pop off in the cut:)
and my 462 m-tronic, while fairly new has performed without a hitch so far during this season & part of last with 6 weeks of 10-12 hour days with multiple operators all doing cut after cut after cut.
and three weeks last year of the same...
I also use them personally through the summer, and my 661 hasn't sat more than 2 weeks at any time since I got it.
My husky saws have also performed well, although I don't own any auto tune.
the few problems I have had with either brand are more operational errors from mr. monkey running them than actual issues with the machine IMO.

I rebuild saws in my spare time and have about an equal amount of Huskys and Stihls...
I do also, stopped doing Stihls. People who own both cannot understand high cost of Stihl repair compared to Husqvarna, plus Stihl dealers here are clueless and stock very little in parts. Dealer support matters when needing repair parts, sure it not the same everywhere. Finishing a 372 rebuild today.

My local dealer told me they been having problems with the bigger cc saws. No problems with the 261c.
My dealer says zero issues with the 661c & he sells a **** load of saws

My own experience having owned four 661s (2015, 2017, 2019, 2020), not one issue, but I'm not putting hundreds of hours on them

Have had a 261c also, no issues

On the Husky/Jred side, no issues with the AT, but I usually sell them before they get too many hours on them

I doubt Stihl or Husky for that matter will continue to sell M Tronic saws that have consistent issues.

Stihl does offer standard carb models for the 261, 362, 462(Euro only) & the 661.

I do also, stopped doing Stihls. People who own both cannot understand high cost of Stihl repair compared to Husqvarna, plus Stihl dealers here are clueless and stock very little in parts. Dealer support matters when needing repair parts, sure it not the same everywhere. Finishing a 372 rebuild today.
I've done saws for several years now and have yet to have a customer ask for Original equipment parts only...everyone around here want them repaired or rebuilt the cheapest way possible which means aftermarket parts. I have several ahead of me to rebuild but having to wait on parts a lot longer than before. I've found the parts for Husqvarna a bit pricier than Stihl on the aftermarket. I don't mess with the ones that require the computer hookups, too old to get started in that...

Latest posts

Back