Stihl MS 261 Vs. MS 362

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JRJC

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi there, this is my first post.

I'm currently trying to decide between the Stihl MS 261 and MS 362. I'm interested in finding out about people's experiences of comparative performance and reliability. I've been advised by a couple of pros to go for the 362 as I won't have any trouble handling the larger saw, but I want to make sure I've done my homework before dropping the money. I have read a lot of independent reviews, but wanted to know if anyone here has experienced both saws? I plan to use an 18 inch bar for now.

About me - I'm not a pro, just a hobbyist. I've got about 5 cords to get through right now, mostly cypress, but will have some hawthorn and other hardwoods to get through soon. Maximum log dia. of approx 24 inches, bust mostly around the 12 inch range. Based on my research I think I could probably get away with the 261, but if the 362 is the better saw in people's experience then i'm willing to pay a bit more. Just looking to make sure I get the best bang for my buck.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks for your response 2123. Is that just for the bit of extra power, or other considerations?

I have owned both but still have a 261. They are built almost the same, with great filtration and av. The 362 just has more HP and weight. Is this going to be your only saw? If so, I would buy the 362 but it sounds like a 261 would still take care of your needs.

Good little selection of lures there! Yeah it will be my only saw, definitely don't need more than one. I quite like the quick chain tensioning option on the 261. I want to run an 18 inch bar, but the Stihl catalogue indicates that the 261 is optimised for a 16 inch bar. Do you mind me asking why you stuck with the 261?

I own and run both, but the 362 is ported or it would still be a 361 which is a better saw in my opinion.
261 feel slighter and more nimble, both wear a 20" b/c 3/8 .050.
I use the 261 for anything on the small side (10" or less usually) and the 361 for anything up to maybe 15" and stumping smaller trees.
I like the 261 more but obviously the 362 has more power to go with its extra weight.

All the guys on our crew at the time preferred to run an older 036 pro, MS360 and MS361 over brand new MS362s at the time.
One it visited Brad we sold the other saws, but he literally saved it from being sold and replaced by an older used saw.
I have not run a C-M so all this may be wiz in the wind, but unless you plan to spend a little extra coin on upgrading then I would consider the choice between a 261 and a 441 which is a real saw out of the box.
Not what you asked but....
Dave

Thanks Dave. The 441 is just too big for my needs, also considering the extra £. I handled one in the shop and it would be overkill.

I'm with these guys. If you will only have one saw, and you're sure of that, then go for the 362. I bought a 361 as my first saw, but it was underpowered for bucking big material and heavy for limbing, so I sold it and got a 50cc Shindaiwa and a 76cc Stihl. I'm happier now, but I cut quite a bit of wood. If I had to choose just one saw, I'd definitely go with the 60cc and both a 16" & 20" B&C to accompany it.

Let us know what you end up with.

I have owned both but still have a 261. They are built almost the same, with great filtration and av. The 362 just has more HP and weight. Is this going to be your only saw? If so, I would buy the 362 but it sounds like a 261 would still take care of your needs.

I couldn't have said it any better. :clap:

I think a lot of it depends on what you plan to cut most often and how quickly you need or want to get it done. If you're cutting whole trees, you're going to spend a lot of time in the limbs and upper trunk sections; very little of the tree is going to be 24" material. In that case, the 50cc setup should do fine. I know I've cut up some big oaks and turned them into firewood with a Husqvarna 346xp, running either a 13" .325 pitch setup or a 16" 3/8" pitch setup. Sure, you have to cut from both sides, or roll the log, but you never get tired and never inadvertently stick your bar tip in the dirt.

If you do go with the 362, which is not a bad plan for a one-saw guy to follow, please don't go all American and hang a longass bar off of it and leave it there for all purposes. Get at 15" for everyday use and a bigger one - 20" or 24" - for the rare occasions when you really, honestly need the length.

Back