Stihl MS 261 Vs. MS 362

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If it has to be a Stihl. 362 with a 20" bar all day every day. Maybe a 24" on 36" + to make it a little easier. I cut 167 cord last year with a 445 with 18" bar. Took some patience but it got done. Now I have a 562xp which I believe to be the ULTIMATE firewood saw with a 20" bar cuts 96% of the wood I need to cut. I have operated a 362 and a 260 both are better than your teeth I assure you. 260 take a little more patience but a fine saw. 362 is a great firewood saw but its not a ninja!!! Lol! Get what is in the budget. Has nothing to do with your manhood! It just needs to cut wood efficiently right:)

Never run a stock 261 but we have stock 362s at work, they're alright but nothing special, I'd rather use my ported 261cxb though it ups the price a bit from stock cost

How about a rebuilt 357xp? They're pretty damned cool

Im in similar situation to you and had to make the same decision last year. Alot of wood in the 12"+ range when bucking, 24"+ at the base occasionally when falling. Minimum of 6 cords a year. I got the 362cm and love it. Either would do you fine, but with the extra hp of the 362 I rarely feel like I need more. Im 6' and 195 lbs and the saw does seem to get a bit heavy when limbing. I don't think I would ever get a bigger saw, but eventually I would like to get a smaller 30 or 40 cc saw (250 or 241 look pretty good).

I'd rather run a ported 50cc saw than most stock 70cc saws.

Ported 50cc saws are fun to run but they just don't have the grunt of most 70cc saws. You don't see anyone running 24" bars on them for a reason(unless you are into the whole piltz "hotsaw" thing, lol) I would definitely take a ported 50cc over a stock 60cc saw though.

Thanks for all the advice guys, didn't expect so much feedback. Haha, I figured all these Ninja references were something to do with Husqvarna. To be honest I am sold on Stihl based on research, personal recommendations and the dealer network / after market service close to where I live. I'm sure the Huskys and other recommendations are great. I've read really good things about the 562 xp, however i'm not sure it's available in the UK. The 560 xp is available, which I understand is slightly different (bar mount size / air filter size / overall weight). Tech/quality wise it's a tough choice and I would just deliberate forever, so I have to consider the stronger Stihl presence where I am. Long story short, I bought a cheap piece of crap 62cc saw on Amazon and it was hands down the worst power tool I have ever owned, so I plan on doing it right this time. Don't know what I was thinking. Should have learned from my experience with breaking cheap splitting mauls :angry:. I 'm down to only a large bowsaw right now and an increasing amount of wood, so it's getting a bit out of hand.

I'll consider all the good advice and sleep on it. Will let you know what I go with in the end.

@sunfish - If chainsaws are anything like rods and reels, then there is definitely no such thing as a one saw plan!

Back