Stihl MS 261 Vs. MS 362

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don, I've run ported 346s and I'm very impressed by them, but it would never be my primary saw. But as I have said before, it depends on what you are cutting and who is doing the cutting, and there is no one right saw for everyone. I'm 6'1", so I like a 20" bar on my limbing saw, shorter bars make me reach down too much, but I see lot of other people who want shorter bars, and nothing wrong with that, we are all different.

I find myself swapping the ported 362 out for an 044 when bucking good sized limbs, I don't have a lot a patience! But hey, both the ported and non ported 044s really cut! And the 362 is fast & smooth on the smaller stuff (up to 18").

Don, I've run ported 346s and I'm very impressed by them, but it would never be my primary saw. But as I have said before, it depends on what you are cutting and who is doing the cutting, and the is no one right saw for everyone. I'm 6'1", so I like a 20" bar on my limbing saw, shorter bars make me reach down too much, but I see lot of other people who want shorter bars, and nothing wrong with that, we are all different.

I find myself swapping the ported 362 out for an 044 when bucking good sized limbs, I don't have a lot a patience! But hey, both the ported and non ported 044s really cut! And the 362 is fast & smooth on the smaller stuff (up to 18").
It's all good Mike. Everybody likes what they like and uses what works for them.

hi guys.i am from romania and i have found ms361 and ms 260 brand new for sale.they both have 2019 year of fabrication.was stihl still making these saws in 2019?

Don, I've run ported 346s and I'm very impressed by them, but it would never be my primary saw. But as I have said before, it depends on what you are cutting and who is doing the cutting, and there is no one right saw for everyone. I'm 6'1", so I like a 20" bar on my limbing saw, shorter bars make me reach down too much, but I see lot of other people who want shorter bars, and nothing wrong with that, we are all different.

T1

Just get the 362, do a muffler mod and go cut. Both will work, but more power for a little more weight is a good tradeoff.
Ah, heck. Just buy a 462 and be done with it!:rock2:

I've ran a 261 and a 362 (both mtronic), MUCH prefer the 362 strictly due to having more bottom end grunt, ran a 462 that same day also - was NOT impressed (vibrated more, didn't seem to have THAT much more power than the 362, although the 362 was well broken in and the 462 had approx 5 tank thru it), surprisingly was a huge turnoff for me after reading how it fixes the worlds problems........

Maybe you had an off one. I love both of my 462s, the I had a VG running ported 362.

Mine are also both very smooth.

The dyno tests on the other site back up my impressions of them. Did 6.7 Hp stock and over 7 hp with just a muffler mod.

A couple of the builders are also very impressed with them. Mine are both ported (now), and they scream!

After reading this thread, I have decided to give my Husky 257 a rest and pull out my Stihl MS361 that has been my shelf queen for three years. The time has come to open up the closet and stop protecting the mink stole. She may forgive me for hiding her:
Stihl MS361 Chainsaw.JPG
OP, if you can find one of these in good shape, buy it.

I'm not knocking 362s, I really liked mine, and the newer V II ones that are 1/2 lb lighter must really be nice.

But the 462s have spoiled me ... real nice saws. First time in 30 years that a saw is both lighter and more powerful than either a 044 or 372.

Now I want to try that 462 again, i DO remember hating the on/off powerband! For guys that like to lean on saws, like I said it was a huge turnoff. We were swapping 24" b&c between the 361, 362 (V2) and the 462. Bar buried in red oak. 361 and 2 amazingly held their own, but maybe we all were just expecting too much from that 462! Was so easy to bring that thing down to it's knees. Did it have more nut than the smaller saws, sure, but was NOT the gap I was expecting.

Why don't you just stop reading it and leave us be???
Come now, who on this site has ever done such a thing? Bickering is a key part of AS! Actually, I just have a thing against unnecessarily revived necro-threads. If someone just wants to piggyback a question, fine. But if people start rehashing a long dead debate when the OP's long gone I gotta ask, what's the point?

Come now, who on this site has ever done such a thing? Bickering is a key part of AS! Actually, I just have a thing against unnecessarily revived necro-threads. If someone just wants to piggyback a question, fine. But if people start rehashing a long dead debate when the OP's long gone I gotta ask, what's the point?
If you don't like the topic just scroll past. No reason to ***** just to be one. Sure there is many other topics out there for you to complain about....my 2 pennies..✌

Latest posts

Back