Stihl MS 261 Vs. MS 362

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can’t imagine cutting 24 inch hardwood all day with an MS362. Painful
That's because your spoiled!!!

I'm sure if you ported it, the pain would diminish!

That said, I would clearly pick a 400 over the 362 if given the choice.

I hope to make one of the PA GTGs this year, are you planning to attend?

I’ll be at Duane’s. Was planning on Scotty’s but have to attend a wedding that weekend

Well, bringing 'er back to the top to debate some more...

Glad this was here as I just had two recommendations in my introductory thread for the 261 c-m over the 362 c-m. I was also considering the 562xp but after one husqvarna weed trimmer, the vibrations of that machine all but made me never consider that brand again. That being said, this was a big box model and after doing research this time, I'm not even considering the consumer line-up of either brand.

So, in the last 7 years, have any opinions changed? I believe this is the thread I found before I joined that made me decide on the 362.
I have both the MS362-C and the Husqvarna 562XP. Both are excellent saws, but the Husqvarna is noticeably smoother. You should try it out sometime. You could not have made a wrong decision by selecting either saw. :)

There are different versions of both of those saws, but if you throw the 400 into the mix it is generally considered to be lighter (than the 562), about as light as the lightest version of the 362, and more powerful than either.

But I agree, they are all good saws, so if you find a deal ... they will all work for you.

I refrained from getting a 562 because it did not have the same bar mount as my other (all Stihl) saws. I like interchangeable parts.

I have both the MS362-C and the Husqvarna 562XP. Both are excellent saws, but the Husqvarna is noticeably smoother. You should try it out sometime. You could not have made a wrong decision by selecting either saw. :)
I owned a 562 for several years and now own a 400. I've never run both back to back, but the 400 is very smooth IMO. I would be very suprised if there is much difference in vibration between the two. The whole Husky's are smoother thing dates back to when Husky had spring AV and Stihl was rubber.

Alright guys. After a few days of consideration along with talking with my best friend, I've decided on the 261. The reason is, he has a 38cc and a 60cc Husqvarna that I can use anytime. I thought having the 50 would be a nice combination for the both of us to have as an option. My wife and wallet thank you for the confidence in the smaller and (more importantly) cheaper saw.

Now, would you do a 20" or 18" bar? Also, is the .325" chain preferred for that saw or do I do the 3/8"? If going to 3/8, are there any supporting modifications needed?

My buddies 38cc is equipped with a 14" bar and the 60cc is fitted with a 24" bar, just for consideration of what I've got to work with.

Again, thank you all for your help and advice throughout this process. I know it's a common topic and is beat to death. I enjoy hearing the suggestions and reasoning for it. You guys are excellent in that department (suggestions and reasons why).

Alright guys. After a few days of consideration along with talking with my best friend, I've decided on the 261. The reason is, he has a 38cc and a 60cc Husqvarna that I can use anytime. I thought having the 50 would be a nice combination for the both of us to have as an option. My wife and wallet thank you for the confidence in the smaller and (more importantly) cheaper saw.

Now, would you do a 20" or 18" bar? Also, is the .325" chain preferred for that saw or do I do the 3/8"? If going to 3/8, are there any supporting modifications needed?

My buddies 38cc is equipped with a 14" bar and the 60cc is fitted with a 24" bar, just for consideration of what I've got to work with.

Again, thank you all for your help and advice throughout this process. I know it's a common topic and is beat to death. I enjoy hearing the suggestions and reasoning for it. You guys are excellent in that department (suggestions and reasons why).
I’d put an 18 or 20 on it with the new .325 .050 ga RSpro nk chain

If you are planning on getting a larger saw down the road (like a 400) and want the bar + chain on each to be interchangeable, then I would go with 18" 3/8 pitch on the 261 (which is what I run on mine).

If you just want the best performance from the 261, go with Kevin's recommendation.

As I said before I run a 20'' on my 261 Stihl .325 - 50 yellow chain. I cut 40'' logs quite often that my tree guy brings me. You simply cut down one side then the other to get all the way through it.
Here is a 39''-40'' log I just cut with my 261 with a 20'' bar. Took me all of about 10 min.

IMG_5514.JPG
First I cut it down each side and halved it and as you can see it went all the way through.
IMG_5516.JPG
Then I noodled it into 12 pieces.

IMG_5520.JPG
The first thing I do with all my saws is cut the bottom back corner off the chain guard so the chips don't clog it up.
IMG_5519.JPG

Awesome. So I'll keep er as a 20" in stock form and mod as needed. If/when I get a 70cc, I'll swap them over to the same bar. From what I've gathered here, stock bar is fine and that's good with me. Thank you guys for the vote of confidence. I really appreciate it. I'll post pics when I pick it up and through the process. Pics or it didn't happen, right?!

I’d put an 18 or 20 on it with the new .325 .050 ga RSpro nk chain

This is definitely a great choice.

I have an 034 (similar HP to a modern 261) and it eats frozen dried ash like butter with the Stihl 3690 .325 .050 RS Pro narrow kerf bar and chain.

A 261 would have no issues with an 18" setup like that.

Where do you find out about the GTG?

There are different versions of both of those saws, but if you throw the 400 into the mix it is generally considered to be lighter (than the 562), about as light as the lightest version of the 362, and more powerful than either.

But I agree, they are all good saws, so if you find a deal ... they will all work for you.

I refrained from getting a 562 because it did not have the same bar mount as my other (all Stihl) saws. I like interchangeable parts.
Actually minus bar, but with full tanks the 400 is just over a full pound lighter then the 562. Couldn't believe the difference when I tossed them on the scale. I thought I had taken pictures but can't find them atm.

Awesome. So I'll keep er as a 20" in stock form and mod as needed. If/when I get a 70cc, I'll swap them over to the same bar. From what I've gathered here, stock bar is fine and that's good with me. Thank you guys for the vote of confidence. I really appreciate it. I'll post pics when I pick it up and through the process. Pics or it didn't happen, right?!
Mine is all stock and runs like a top.

I like the reach a 20'' bar gives me. To each there own.

Reach vs bury is the key factor. 20" reach is fine with a 261, 20" bury in hardwood starts to push its limits.

I prefer a 16" on that size saw because I like to be able to bury everything I use and still get good chain speed. That way if I run out of bar length, I just move up to a bigger saw that can handle it.

Everyone's on the 6 saw plan, right?

Back