Stihl MS 261 Vs. MS 362

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Local Stihl dealer (co-op) had one in stock with an 18" bar. After more reading, I decided I'd stick with the 18" and grab a 20" bar later. They had both versions of the 261, c-m and non c-m. I opted for the c-m version so hopefully that's what they gave me. After reading on here, I also got the 6 pack of oil to extend the warranty. The saw was $689 so that's a lot better than the price on the 400 and I really like the size of the saw. I don't think I'd have been happy with the bigger one. Thanks again for all the info and helping me make an informed decision.

Do I stick with the Stihl oil or is something else preferred? Also, any advantage to running the pricey premix? I know to use non-ethanol gas so I have that covered. Saw will be used heavily at first then as needed for the remainder of its service life (and hopefully that's as long as I need it, lol)

Here she is in all her glory
408A7C66-F4AF-4EB9-A463-A0E36EED4629.jpeg

Do I stick with the Stihl oil or is something else preferred?

There's three things in life you don't talk about with strangers. Politics, Religion, and 2-stroke oil. You can find endless (and pointless) oil threads on every forum related to 2-stroke equipment, including here.

My opinion: Use up the Stihl at 50:1 (no richer), and then buy the cheapest JASO FD rated oil you can find. Unless you're putting professional logger hours on the saw it won't matter.

Also, any advantage to running the pricey premix?

Not having to mix oil? Or worry about people who will screw up your saw running the wrong mix?

Awesome. So I'll keep er as a 20" in stock form and mod as needed. If/when I get a 70cc, I'll swap them over to the same bar. From what I've gathered here, stock bar is fine and that's good with me. Thank you guys for the vote of confidence. I really appreciate it. I'll post pics when I pick it up and through the process. Pics or it didn't happen, right?!

A stock 261 won't impress you with 3/8 chain.

.325 in either .063 or the new narrow kerf will keep you happy enough.

There's three things in life you don't talk about with strangers. Politics, Religion, and 2-stroke oil. You can find endless (and pointless) oil threads on every forum related to 2-stroke equipment, including here.

My opinion: Use up the Stihl at 50:1 (no richer), and then buy the cheapest JASO FD rated oil you can find. Unless you're putting professional logger hours on the saw it won't matter.

Not having to mix oil? Or worry about people who will screw up your saw running the wrong mix?
Solid advice! I did search and found a bunch of back and forth but nothing really solid. I guess it's like the Ford vs Chevy thing. Everyone has an opinion. I like Mobil 1 in the cars because I've seen the difference over conventional with my own eyes. That said, Mobil 1 is probably no better than any other synthetic brand. That's more what I think I was asking. Type of oil more so than the brand. Thank you for input (really, not being sarcastic)

Local Stihl dealer (co-op) had one in stock with an 18" bar. After more reading, I decided I'd stick with the 18" and grab a 20" bar later. They had both versions of the 261, c-m and non c-m. I opted for the c-m version so hopefully that's what they gave me. After reading on here, I also got the 6 pack of oil to extend the warranty. The saw was $689 so that's a lot better than the price on the 400 and I really like the size of the saw. I don't think I'd have been happy with the bigger one. Thanks again for all the info and helping me make an informed decision.

Do I stick with the Stihl oil or is something else preferred? Also, any advantage to running the pricey premix? I know to use non-ethanol gas so I have that covered. Saw will be used heavily at first then as needed for the remainder of its service life (and hopefully that's as long as I need it, lol)

View attachment 1055796

That's a good saw at a pretty good price considering availability in some regions. The "C" denotes "comfort feature" which refers to improved anti vibe. The "M" is mtronic which is Stihls version of auto tune. No carb adjustments.

A stock 261 won't impress you with 3/8 chain.

.325 in either .063 or the new narrow kerf will keep you happy enough.

It depends on one's intended usage.
My kids MS290 I converted to 3/8 chain for interchangeability purposes with other saws. I often use it limbing and cutting smaller stuff down which it does just fine with. But yes if you bury the bar in hard wood it won't set any speed records.

Bury it in oak or locust. That saw will fall flat on its face. Hence why we run 20" bars on 60-70cc saws around here.

View attachment 1055796
I have been using Stihl's 2 stroke oil ever since I bought my first Stihl saw way back in 2001. Never had any issues with it. My original saw still runs great, though since I got my 261c I rarely use it.
Good call on the 261c. Thats the same saw I have and love it. You will be very happy with it.

That's a good saw at a pretty good price considering availability in some regions. The "C" denotes "comfort feature" which refers to improved anti vibe. The "M" is mtronic which is Stihls version of auto tune. No carb adjustments.

It depends on one's intended usage.
My kids MS290 I converted to 3/8 chain for interchangeability purposes with other saws. I often use it limbing and cutting smaller stuff down which it does just fine with. But yes if you bury the bar in hard wood it won't set any speed records.
Unless you are competing in a race what difference does a few sec per cut make for the average home owner? I say none. A good sharp chain is where it really matters.

My advice on the oil ... Run the Stihl oil at 50:1 (or a bit richer) until your warranty expires.

After that, I would run it on better oil. I run all mine on AMSOIL Saber, it is far better than Stihl oil and I want my saws to stay running and stay strong for a long time.

You got a great deal; I think you will be really happy with that saw. Best of luck with it.

FYI, when the recoil says MS261C it is a M-Tronic saw. The adjustable carb saw will just say MS261.

The letters that describe the features do not match what is printed on the saw.

My advice on the oil ... Run the Stihl oil at 50:1 (or a bit richer) until your warranty expires.

After that, I would run it on better oil. I run all mine on AMSOIL Saber, it is far better than Stihl oil and I want my saws to stay running and stay strong for a long time.

You got a great deal; I think you will be really happy with that saw. Best of luck with it.

FYI, when the recoil says MS261C it is a M-Tronic saw. The adjustable carb saw will just say MS261.

The letters that describe the features do not match what is printed on the saw.
Thank you sir. I handled the saw a bit more and it feels great in the hand. Well balanced and not heavy feeling.
I wasn't talking about the length, 18" bar with .325 is just about perfect for a 261.
10-4. I noticed it came with a green chain which I'll use until I get used to it. I'm sure I'll get it in the dirt sooner or later. I'm going to do more reading about chains before I ask anymore "common knowledge" questions and wear out my welcome.

Latest posts

Back