Stihl MS 261 Vs. MS 362

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you sir. I handled the saw a bit more and it feels great in the hand. Well balanced and not heavy feeling.

10-4. I noticed it came with a green chain which I'll use until I get used to it. I'm sure I'll get it in the dirt sooner or later. I'm going to do more reading about chains before I ask anymore "common knowledge" questions and wear out my welcome.
Post away, thats what we are all here for.

There are generally two types of cutters you can get on a chain, semi chisel or full chisel. Semi chisel will generally be on the "green" safety chain, and it will have a rounded corner. It cuts a little slower but will stay sharper longer.

Full chisel has a squared corner and cuts about 15% faster. It really wakes your saw up.

Then, for saws in your size range, they make some chains with narrower cutters (which is what they were talking about). This will also cut faster because you are removing less wood, but you have to be careful because the narrower kerf can pinch your bar more easily.

Over time try a few different things and see what you like. They often tell you that the yellow (faster cutting) chain is more dangerous, but if you pay attention and keep your chains sharp, I don't buy it! The possibility of kickback (if the tip of your bar touches something) is much greater if your chain is dull.

I saw that you did, and I was agreeing with you.

But you also offered up .063 so I was just steering him towards the .325 .050 NK as the preferred choice for that saw, knowing that's what you meant.

The downfall of RSP is it's durability, it doesn't hold an edge as long as the standard .325..but it definitely cuts faster. I use both on the regular. It also pinches easier from it's narrow kerf and doesn't clear chips as good in bigger cuts..maybe not so great for someone with limited saw experience.

My advice on the oil ... Run the Stihl oil at 50:1 (or a bit richer) until your warranty expires.

After that, I would run it on better oil. I run all mine on AMSOIL Saber, it is far better than Stihl oil and I want my saws to stay running and stay strong for a long time.

You got a great deal; I think you will be really happy with that saw. Best of luck with it.

FYI, when the recoil says MS261C it is a M-Tronic saw. The adjustable carb saw will just say MS261.

The letters that describe the features do not match what is printed on the saw.
Amsoil here 40 to 1 no failures.

Local Stihl dealer (co-op) had one in stock with an 18" bar. After more reading, I decided I'd stick with the 18" and grab a 20" bar later. They had both versions of the 261, c-m and non c-m. I opted for the c-m version so hopefully that's what they gave me. After reading on here, I also got the 6 pack of oil to extend the warranty. The saw was $689 so that's a lot better than the price on the 400 and I really like the size of the saw. I don't think I'd have been happy with the bigger one. Thanks again for all the info and helping me make an informed decision.

Do I stick with the Stihl oil or is something else preferred? Also, any advantage to running the pricey premix? I know to use non-ethanol gas so I have that covered. Saw will be used heavily at first then as needed for the remainder of its service life (and hopefully that's as long as I need it, lol)

Here she is in all her glory
View attachment 1055796
That saw also comes with one of the better air filter set ups vs my 362 or my 290

Local Stihl dealer (co-op) had one in stock with an 18" bar. After more reading, I decided I'd stick with the 18" and grab a 20" bar later. They had both versions of the 261, c-m and non c-m. I opted for the c-m version so hopefully that's what they gave me. After reading on here, I also got the 6 pack of oil to extend the warranty. The saw was $689 so that's a lot better than the price on the 400 and I really like the size of the saw. I don't think I'd have been happy with the bigger one. Thanks again for all the info and helping me make an informed decision.

Do I stick with the Stihl oil or is something else preferred? Also, any advantage to running the pricey premix? I know to use non-ethanol gas so I have that covered. Saw will be used heavily at first then as needed for the remainder of its service life (and hopefully that's as long as I need it, lol)

Here she is in all her glory
View attachment 1055796
The advantage of pricey premix is when you store the saw for months because pump gas goes bad fast.

There are generally two types of cutters you can get on a chain, semi chisel or full chisel. Semi chisel will generally be on the "green" safety chain, and it will have a rounded corner. It cuts a little slower but will stay sharper longer.

Full chisel has a squared corner and cuts about 15% faster. It really wakes your saw up.

Then, for saws in your size range, they make some chains with narrower cutters (which is what they were talking about). This will also cut faster because you are removing less wood, but you have to be careful because the narrower kerf can pinch your bar more easily.

Over time try a few different things and see what you like. They often tell you that the yellow (faster cutting) chain is more dangerous, but if you pay attention and keep your chains sharp, I don't buy it! The possibility of kickback (if the tip of your bar touches something) is much greater if your chain is dull.
THIS is EXACTLY what I was looking for. All of the terminology had me confused. This was extremely helpful. Thank you for that very thorough explanation.

Im going to be different sence 70cc and 28-32" bars arent being conciderd and are the one saw plan to have im going to jump the other way.

Lets skip the 60cc class all together and get the 261 with 18 full 3/8 chain on it and just cut sone wood have 4 or 5 chains on hand and always have 2 sharp chains ready to go.

With the 18" you can limb willows to bucking nearly 40" wood.

Id also skip any quick chain tension gizmos thats just something to leave you broken and not cutting wood.

I see im alittle slow. You got the 18" great saw perfect bar size. The 20" if completly uneeded it is virtually the same as the 18" everything the 20 does so can the 18 with a couple less cutters to sharpen

Unless you are competing in a race what difference does a few sec per cut make for the average home owner? I say none. A good sharp chain is where it really matters.
Think you meant to quote me lol. Chasing a back cut, faster production.. same reason I wouldn't run the 400 with a 32" bar. Thats what the 90+cc saws are for.

Im going to be different sence 70cc and 28-32" bars arent being conciderd and are the one saw plan to have im going to jump the other way.

Lets skip the 60cc class all together and get the 261 with 18 full 3/8 chain on it and just cut sone wood have 4 or 5 chains on hand and always have 2 sharp chains ready to go.

With the 18" you can limb willows to bucking nearly 40" wood.

Id also skip any quick chain tension gizmos thats just something to leave you broken and not cutting wood.

I see im alittle slow. You got the 18" great saw perfect bar size. The 20" if completly uneeded it is virtually the same as the 18" everything the 20 does so can the 18 with a couple less cutters to sharpen
As normal your bias toward a specific class of saw is evident.

Good choice on the 261. It's an excellent saw to start out on. In reality, its an excellent "small" saw for any 2 or 3 saw plan, or even great for a 1 saw plan depending on what you're normally cutting. It CAN cut wood that's 36" if you HAVE to, but you won't enjoy doing that. Even in hardwood, it's great for cutting "firewood" size stuff that's 12" and under. If you are commonly finding yourself in wood that's over 12", you will eventually want to add at least 1 bigger saw. If you end up needing to cut a fair amount of wood that's over 24", you will really want to look into a saw that's 70cc or bigger.

As far as why someone would be willing to spend more money for a faster saw, obviously felling trees is one application. The other thing to consider is when you're cutting for hours on end (especially if it's not what you normally do), the more it wears you out, the more prone you are to get distracted, make a mistake, and put your PPE to the test. Not as big of a deal if you're just cleaning up a few limbs after a storm, but if you're cutting firewood, or clearing land, it makes a noticeable difference in how much work you get done in a day, and how worn out you are at the end of it.

Simple (but I'm sure that's subjective) question. Is there a hand file brand you recommend? I looked on Amazon and saw mixed reviews. I'm more of a buy once, cry once kinda guy so I'd prefer something that's going to last over the china stuff, if there's a better option. Thanks in advance

Speaking of ppe, I grabbed some of these for myself and my friend that will be helping me. I also got some carhartt overalls but the waist size doesn't factor in the gut so I'm getting a size bigger. I would post a pic but I don't wanna scare y'all off...

Chaps, since I don't have anything else cool to show
5966714B-62C6-4016-A6D4-7504889008A9.jpeg

Simple (but I'm sure that's subjective) question. Is there a hand file brand you recommend? I looked on Amazon and saw mixed reviews. I'm more of a buy once, cry once kinda guy so I'd prefer something that's going to last over the china stuff, if there's a better option. Thanks in advance
Save Edge was good but I think they stopped making them look around for any old stock.

As normal your bias toward a specific class of saw is evident.

What? i chose the smaller one isnt my norm, saw color doesnt matter..

I dont realy think a 2 3 4 saw plan is needed with a pair of different length bar's for each.

Im keeping the CAD real trying to keep to many from getting infected

Speaking of ppe, I grabbed some of these for myself and my friend that will be helping me. I also got some carhartt overalls but the waist size doesn't factor in the gut so I'm getting a size bigger. I would post a pic but I don't wanna scare y'all off...

Chaps, since I don't have anything else cool to show
View attachment 1056126
Files are something that are just gonna wear out before we are ever satisfied with how long they last. I have been using Stihl brand files. I buy them by the dozen. The trick to good file life is using a wire brush to keep them clean of chips.
I don't like coveralls because they ride up your back side when you bend over.

Files are something that are just gonna wear out before we are ever satisfied with how long they last. I have been using Stihl brand files. I buy them by the dozen. The trick to good file life is using a wire brush to keep them clean of chips.
I don't like coveralls because they ride up your back side when you bend over.
I have the noassatall disease so riding up is better than down:laugh:

Back