Stihl ms 290

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sidehillgrowler

Stihl 056
Reaction score
Have a chance to pickup a stihl ms 290 farmboss for 265.00. How well has this saw held up for those out there that have one? Is the price ok?

That saw is a runner. Its on the heavy side and is so-so on the power scale for saws in that range. It responds well to a muffler mod tho and for moderate use it will last and do the job. How old is it and what condition is it in? You can get a new one with a 18" bar for about $375 where I'm at.

price is probably average for a good condition saw. they are reliable as gravity and parts are everywhere. there is nothing wrong with them, but there are better choices in terms of power to weight and the pro-type construction. i can help you with a MM that will take it to another level.

what kinda of shape is the saw in? if your looking for a decent firewood saw to cut on the weekends then its a good choice.

Have a chance to pickup a stihl ms 290 farmboss for 265.00. How well has this saw held up for those out there that have one? Is the price ok?

i looked at the completed auctions on ebay. $265 is probably pretty average.....at least you will have a chance to exam and run the saw. you also don't have to deal with scams, reneggers, not-as-described.....etc.

The 290 is a fine general purpose saw. As others have said, the weight is a little more than more expensive saws of the same power, but it is apparently very durable. On price, it's probably a fair price, but not a steal. I bought one only a year old for $225 with extra chains about two years ago, and another that needed a chain and bar for $185 last year. My son and I are using them (and an old 041 Farm Boss) to cut about 20 cords a year between us.

Limbing bar

I already have a ms660, 056 Super. I was looking at the ms290 to put my limbing bow bar which fits the other saws. The bar will work with other stihls saws. I have a sachs dolmar 120 super I would like to put the bar on but it won't work. Thanks for the input.

I just picked one up at my top secret pawn shop. P&C is good, body has no cracks or breaks. Everything works, but I need to clean the carb & possibly put in a carb kit, since it falls off idle after 30-40 seconds. Other than the idle it runs great. I am going to post it in the Trading Post when it's completed. If your interested PM me...........$200 shipped. I won't sell it until I fix the idle prob.

RD

its a great saw

This is one of the smaller saws we use in our tree service business and this probably gets the most workouts out of any of our saws. We have yet to run into any problems with the MS290s all you have to do is feed them and deal with a dull chain every once in a while. If it dies.... you ran outta gas!

They are great saws. I have one and used it for a long time before his bigger brothers showed up. Just make sure you keep it tuned. They have a tendacy to start leaning themselves out and are prone to overheating. Keep it clean and it will last a long time.

Back