Stihl MS 291 burnt out after 1 hr

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
7sleeper:
If Stihl is making disposable saws now, maybe I should just buy the cheapest thing I can find. If it's going to wear out before it needs a replacement chain, I don't have to worry about what chain I have in stock.

That is not true! Many have and will cut more wood than you can imagine with the "disposable" saws. With proper care and maintenance they will probably last a few life times for someone in your situation.
Actually, that is true. I have a MS291 with under 100 hrs, and a scorched piston. The saw only saw premixed nonethanol, but I had to go back to a MS290 my father has which he uses regular Ethanol mixed gas with no problems. The dealer and Stihl said because it’s over 3 years they aren’t responsible. So, don’t tell me Stihl cares about its customers when there is evidence that they don’t. Here’s a new name change and slogan for them, “Steal, it’s what we do”

The ole chain brake thread
So did you read all of this?

Just curious.

Looks like "New guy burns up new saw with chain brake on"

Several guys try to get up a Stihl dealer lynch party.

Several other guys make a pitch for their favorite brand/model.

"This saw/brand is a cheap piece of crap" is the general hue of the thread.

The mob got tired and went home.

All along it was just a guy melting his new saw with the chain brake, and wanting to blame someone else...

So did you read all of this?

Just curious.

Looks like "New guy burns up new saw with chain brake on"

Several guys try to get up a Stihl dealer lynch party.

Several other guys make a pitch for their favorite brand/model.

"This saw/brand is a cheap piece of crap" is the general hue of the thread.

The mob got tired and went home.

All along it was just a guy melting his new saw with the chain brake, and wanting to blame someone else...
From what I read the guys issue was sap. If Stihl wants to charge the prices they do. Then they need to learn to stand by their product. I brought my saw to the dealer several times. Was told it just needed to get broken in. The saw has still not been broken in since the manual states that is 100 hrs. I bring it to another dealer. They say the piston is sortched. I gave Stihl all of the info with all of the dealers contact info (from their own site). After weeks of wasted time they finally said that since I had the saw over 3 years it’s not their fault. I’ve run saws my whole life, and the reason this one didn’t get 100 hrs is I had to use an older MS290 every time since this always had something wrong. Again, Stihl does not stand by their products, and deserves to be called out for that.

Jan 25, 2015 comments:
Rockjock:

I have seen this before and it looks like the sap did the saw the damage. I agree it is not that bad of a repair. It looks like the sap got into the innards and just became like cement. clean it up really well and then report back.

west041:
Sap seems like a very likely culprit, November was quite mild in Maine and before you get consistent cold temps the spruces are pretty sappy and hard to buck up.

Rockjock:
The sap heats up and the water is " boiled " away and it just become harder, coats the brake band and slowly builds up. gets hotter and then begins to bind things up. a good cleaning, perhaps place the power head in a plastic bag and then place it into the fridge get the nice and cold the sap will break off easier. then make a list of the parts you need. I do not blame Stihl as much as I would blame the dealer. If you identify the problem correctly then you can easily get the issue solved. The dealer is asked what they think happened to the unit, Stihl can only base if the saw is worthrepairing from what they said. A good cleaning will show you pretty quickly if it is indeed melted or just coated insap. From the photos I can see you need a new oiler gear, dunno if the brake band is toast, clutch may need a good tear down and cleaning. If you are very lucky all that would be needed are a few parts and a good cleaning.

From what I read the guys issue was sap. If Stihl wants to charge the prices they do. Then they need to learn to stand by their product. I brought my saw to the dealer several times. Was told it just needed to get broken in. The saw has still not been broken in since the manual states that is 100 hrs. I bring it to another dealer. They say the piston is sortched. I gave Stihl all of the info with all of the dealers contact info (from their own site). After weeks of wasted time they finally said that since I had the saw over 3 years it’s not their fault. I’ve run saws my whole life, and the reason this one didn’t get 100 hrs is I had to use an older MS290 every time since this always had something wrong. Again, Stihl does not stand by their products, and deserves to be called out for that.
What saw are you talking about, and detail your troubles?

What saw are you talking about, and detail your troubles?
If you’re wondering about my personal issues it’s probably because it was flagged for moderation support. Not sure why, but here it is:

MaineMikeD Jan 6, 2018 comment:
Actually, that is true. I have a MS291 with under 100 hrs, and a scorched piston. The saw only saw premixed nonethanol, but I had to go back to a MS290 my father has which he uses regular Ethanol mixed gas with no problems. The dealer and Stihl said because it’s over 3 years they aren’t responsible. So, don’t tell me Stihl cares about its customers when there is evidence that they don’t. Here’s a new name change and slogan for them, “Steal, it’s what we do”

Or are you the OP under a new name?
I am definitely not the OP. I used my Facebook account so i’m Not trying to somehow do something scandalous. I’m just pissed my >$400 saw is junk, and Stihl can’t be bothered to care. I could take them to court under Maine’s implied warranty law, but I’d waste time and money. FYI, when you feel like a company actually stole $ from you it kind of gets you upset!

You say you brought your new saw to the dealer several times.

What for? They said it just needed broken in? What was the problem?
Saw wouldn’t start. I would bring it in, and they would screw with it out back, and then bring it out to show me it was working. However, the saw still wouldn’t start right off so they’d screw with it while I was in front of them, and finally get it going. Honestly, I was so pissed I didn’t want to create a scene so I just took off. After that I had my wife drop it off, because I was not going to loose my cool on them. Fast forward, I moved, different dealer tells me the piston is scorched...

Wow this post originated 1/25/15 and its still running like a heated wild fire! I started reading this and saw a lot of guys with lots of posts under there belts but didnt recognize much of there screen names, but boy did this one stir up into a ***** fight quickly. Sap/ brake or anything other then a mechanical covered failure is on the owner and he should just fix the darn thing and move on. Just my 2cents. Im dizzy

Back