Stihl MS 291 burnt out after 1 hr

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
a2c36506f3419660fdb227a859be8e1c.jpg
she was always up to go riding
4fb7845ab87a3113bd15d71db571883a.jpg
and would take you to the ER when need be . Call you a idiot . But would still take you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That sums it up right there. If I've learned anything in this thread it is that operator error played a part somewhere, perhaps a significant one.

That's a pretty funny story.
I have an idea about the saws failure. A clutch will not hold its max load until it is broken in and the shoes are seated to the drum. As a mechanic when replacing an AC compressor the instructions would say to turn the AC on and cycle the clutch 50 times under load to burnish the clutch. So maybe the clutch was not seated in yet and was unable to hold the full load of the cut. Maybe the clutch was defective and slipped right from the get go. If the drum was warped the shoes would never fully contact so they would not hold. If the clutch drum was dropped before install it could easily be warped.

Unfortunately it seems like many young people today, can't seem to handle plain English and hard cold facts. Myself and others, said it how it is. Instead of looking inward, he said we don't know what we're talking about. Typically behavior of young people today.

West stick around and relax. Running saws can be fun and a rewarding experience, when you really understand how to setup and run a saw properly.

I think you're generalizing but I'm fine to look on this as learning experience. I misjudged this forum from the start but I'll catch on. The response was unexpected and it is difficult to deal with sometimes when people can just say whatever they want and make assumptions based on very little evidence.

Knobby57 is the new ambassador of AS he can get anyone to settle their differences and move on.

I have an idea about the saws failure. A clutch will not hold its max load until it is broken in and the shoes are seated to the drum. As a mechanic when replacing an AC compressor the instructions would say to turn the AC on and cycle the clutch 50 times under load to burnish the clutch. So maybe the clutch was not seated in yet and was unable to hold the full load of the cut. Maybe the clutch was defective and slipped right from the get go. If the drum was warped the shoes would never fully contact so they would not hold. If the clutch drum was dropped before install it could easily be warped.

This is new information to me.

Would there be bad vibration and bearing damage from a warped clutch drum, although maybe hidden/diminished by the spring anti-vib, especially if he is used to the AV of the 041? Easy enough to check the roundness of the clutch drum.

I would think that if things were wrong from the beginning it would have burned up in the first 5 minutes, not at around an hour. (As AKDoug showed, only takes less than a minute of clutch slippage to get things smoking).

West041 any new tool like a saw should really be broken in before running it hard. Some people will say it takes a few tanks of fuel for the rings to seat. I always go easy on a new saw the first couple tanks.

Would there be bad vibration and bearing damage from a warped clutch drum, although maybe hidden/diminished by the spring anti-vib, especially if he is used to the AV of the 041? Easy enough to check the roundness of the clutch drum.

I would think that if things were wrong from the beginning it would have burned up in the first 5 minutes, not at around an hour. (As AKDoug showed, only takes less than a minute of clutch slippage to get things smoking).
I doubt you would have notice any vibration. My theory is that the clutch only slipped a short time while bucking the log and then was done. Just posting what came to mind when reading about the saws failure.

I would think the clutch would be burnished in by the first tank of fuel . There is a lot of heat there under normal use to get it done

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think you're generalizing but I'm fine to look on this as learning experience. I misjudged this forum from the start but I'll catch on. The response was unexpected and it is difficult to deal with sometimes when people can just say whatever they want and make assumptions based on very little evidence.

Cool beans.

Yes I and others jumped to a conclusion, we did so based upon knowledge and experience, which I now think you realize. :cheers:

I doubt you would have notice any vibration. My theory is that the clutch only slipped a short time while bucking the log and then was done. Just posting what came to mind when reading about the saws failure.

We can theorize until the cows come home. However the simpleest explanation is almost always the correct one.

Back