Stihl ms 362 vs Echo 620P

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Besides the bar cover on the echo being plastic (assuming the stihls in mag) what else would the differences be? starter cover, filter cover, top cover, tank and front handle would be plastic on both of the saws.

IF the bar cover being plastic bothers someone they can change it for $35 with a Echo Mag bar cover.
Actually I don't think the difference is a big deal the only thing is I kinda think the Rim clutch on the 600/620 would be nice. I didn't bother to examine the Sthil 391. My guess is the saw probably has a rim sprocket. I know the cs490 and cs600 does. My Sthil 024 and 026 have them but frankly I grab an Echo nearly every time. The Sthil 029 is heavy very near feels like the cs590 and it's not my favorite saw. MM rim sprocket, professional bar and chain, tweeked and does pretty good but the Echo saws (cs352,490,590) do about all I need. Im semi- mostly, retired just piddling now. Clearing my land and trying to stay out of trees, (72 years old) so Echo saws are fine. I have 5 saws in the shop. Various brands needing attention. A top handle Jonsered and Im determined to die with my steel toe boots on. The Echo's are fine saws and probably the last saws I'll need to buy. Maybe some day I'll take a look at a Sthil 391 or bigger just for kicks. Passed up an old used big (125 ?cc ) maybe, can't rember Sthil. It sold cheap.

You can call Oregon and get the number for the rim and drum for the 590, I found this out after changing mine using the echo branded rim/drum and well this is where echo gets you, on the parts LOL.

You can call Oregon and get the number for the rim and drum for the 590, I found this out after changing mine using the echo branded rim/drum and well this is where echo gets you, on the parts LOL.
Thanks, how much does it cost to change the Spur Sprocket to rim using Oregon parts. Changing my 029 Sthil was cheap. Probably 25 / 30 bucks. I have a .325 pitch rim and a .375 rim that fits the 029. The cs490 is a .325 pitch. I thought I may use the bar and chain off my Sthil 026 on that saw. Make bar bolt shims and bolt er up. I'm in very good health for my age. I hope to work right up till I die. I ride a off road bicycle. . Just don't feel old. Hard work, and no smoking and very little alcohol may be why. Hell. I don't know. I do boil my drinking water and cook for myself. Maybe just lucky.. It's almost 3am. Gotta get my normal 5/6 hours sleep. Blessings,

I have a 620 and we have a 362 at work , the 620 is much better IMO .
I should have spent the extra bucks. Had the money but read the reviews. HOWEVER, now that I'm retired and cutting much less the 590 is fine. Saws are a lot like choosing women. At 22 I had a hot beauty and enjoyed the race. Now at 72 I like sleeping alone and visit jolly old fat ladies. At my age catching a 30 year old slim rocket would be like a Beagle catching a School bus. If I caught it and survived, I'd be wondering how to let it go. So, well, that cs590 gets roses once a year and a cold beer. Course I drink the beer.

Some are saying Echo is the better saw. Some are saying "for the money". Hmmmm.

Two different answers.

All I know is that Echo does not exist in the pro market here. Maybe someday they will...

That 501p interests me a little.
Mate I am soooooo close to dropping some coin on one of those!

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

Mate I am soooooo close to dropping some coin on one of those!

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk
IF you can WAIT until Echo has the 20% off sale you will save enough that you will feel like you bought a cs590.
I MAY be about to buy one from my brother. If so my cs590 may be for sale. Just the bar , chain, and Rim Sprocket difference would have paid for the bucks difference. My brothers cs620p came with a 24 inch bar and loves it. My cs590 has (a couple of times) been used with a 27 inch bar for a few Huge trees and did well. I keep my chains scary sharp (touch it wrong and you will bleed) and NEVER drive my saws hard. A saw with the chain sharp and depth set correctly feeds it's self. Either way you go you WILL like the saw.. I believe ONE REASON, we don't hear Echo saws recommended as often as Sthil etc, could be the way they neglect to actually cover warranty claims. I learned that on a Month old cs352 saw and the CHICKEN poo is the part cost just over 10 bucks. Tell me What jackass would let a customer with a NEW SAW walk out with a broke saw over an 11 dollar part! Bad business. I once was a service manager. To make a customer happy MANY TIMES we repaired nearly new equipment broken due to operator error and either split the bill or said, ok this time we pay, next time you pay. So unless Echo gets some smart management they will be distrusted. I buy Echo with the idea it's rolling the dice. If their sales people are not going to fix it, then I will. I've stopped recommending Echo. Especially the cs310. The cs352 with it's know flaw is much better saw. IMHO they could discontinue the cs310, and cs590 and beef up the chain catcher on the cs352 tell their Dealers to learn how to cover warranty and THEN, I'd preach their greatness. A friend was about to buy a cs310 to cut up a medium 12 inch or so, pine that went down in his yard. After talking to me he changed his mind. He eventually bought a HF Electric. It got the job done. 50 bucks. The cs590 and cs490 have never given me a problem. I'm guessing I want need Warranty. I'm also guessing IF I do it'll be a waste of my time asking the dealer for it. Good day.

No experience with either the MS362 or CS620P. I did want a 620p for a 60 cc saw, but ended up scoring a very lightly used Husky 555 here on AS. I do have a very large, nearly dead Maple that is ready to fall into my creek. I will need a bigger saw to cut that tree up when it eventually falls. I've been keeping my lookers peeled for a CS800p, but never see them come up for sale. Either they're rarer than hens teeth, or folks who have them never get rid of them.

Nothing special about a CS-800. I had one here and thought it was just OK. It didn't like high RPM's and when you leaned it up it would stall against the clutch too easily for my liking. I also hated the cheesy rubber plug over the mixture screws and flat Mac style air filter compared to the excellent automotive type Echo used on many saws from that period. I used it for a couple of years but never found myself reaching for it much for an outing so sent it on down the road. I sent two CS-670's right behind it and a CS-6700. All decent saws but not overly impressive anyplace.

Echo stepped things up considerably with the CS-590/600/620P's. It will be even better when they build a 70-75cc saw on the same platform......IMHO......Cliff

Nothing special about a CS-800. I had one here and thought it was just OK. It didn't like high RPM's and when you leaned it up it would stall against the clutch too easily for my liking. I also hated the cheesy rubber plug over the mixture screws and flat Mac style air filter compared to the excellent automotive type Echo used on many saws from that period. I used it for a couple of years but never found myself reaching for it much for an outing so sent it on down the road. I sent two CS-670's right behind it and a CS-6700. All decent saws but not overly impressive anyplace.

Echo stepped things up considerably with the CS-590/600/620P's. It will be even better when they build a 70-75cc saw on the same platform......IMHO......Cliff
Well UNTIL that stupid service manager Pizzed me off I NEVER spoke negative about an Echo. In fact the cs590 and cs490 make me smile AND after I fixed the problem myself the cs352 makes me smile. The cs310 is sold here as being exactly like the cs352 with ONLY ONE different, motor size. However that's pig snot. The cs352 is a much better saw. I think the cs310 could be eliminated because the 352 simply replaces it. The 600/620 could replace the cs590. Now that t Know, I'd gladly have paid the difference. Getting it on sale 20% off would have not been much more money. If I had to repeat that's what I'd do. BUT, like comparing wives, I still take the cs590 on dates even when I'm blowing kisses at the cs620p.
Be blessed.

Back