Stihl MS 400 CM w/ West Coast saw bark box - sound check???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stihl dude

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
** LISTEN TO ATTACHED VIDEO**

I just installed a West coast Saw Bark box on my Stihl MS 400 m tronic and I am having doubts on if it is harming the saw or not. I followed the proper carb reset on the manufactures website after install and I use Stihl Moto mix. It cracks and pops a lot.
Is this normal ? Can someone with experience or knowledge on the matter could give me his opinion please?

I opened the exhaust and cylinder is in good shape after use. No scoring or marks
View attachment FullSizeRender.MOV

The saw is about a year old. I’ve put about 15
westcoast calls it this…lol

‘Expect cooler running temperatures, a rowdy sound, and 6-10% horsepower gain.’

seriously, I didn’t hear anything odd…

imasked how old the saw is, has it broken in?
tanks through it!

Mine was running like that the other day and I don't consider it normal. Is yours also running hot? I'm hoping mine is better after a reset and sharpening up the chain. Stock muffler on mine.

Mine was running like that the other day and I don't consider it normal. Is yours also running hot? I'm hoping mine is better after a reset and sharpening up the chain. Stock muffler on mine.
I think the reset thing is over used.
I reset mine once when I first got it and have left it alone since. Hasn't missed a beat and that includes adding a bark box and a red beard filter.
I am also always going up and down in elevation and temperature. Mtronic works as designed for me.

I can’t watch the video for some reason but mine makes weird pops and only have 3 tanks through it and completely stock

I’m not a big fan of the bark box myself. Nothing against WCS I’ve bought their three point dogs and a few exhaust ports, probably some other things I’m forgetting. That being said the saw sounds fine. Keep your air filter clean, chain sharp, good fuel, and send it all the way.
I'm not either. Insanely loud. Even with ear plugs and ear muffs my ears ring after running it. I took it off and enlarged the stock opening a bit and called it a day.

I'm not either. Insanely loud. Even with ear plugs and ear muffs my ears ring after running it. I took it off and enlarged the stock opening a bit and called it a day.
Yeah I’m not into waking the dead every time I run my saw. They don’t need to be that loud to make power. A nice muffler mod is all you need.

Yeah I’m not into waking the dead every time I run my saw. They don’t need to be that loud to make power. A nice muffler mod is all you need.
Yes and I would rather not degrade my hearing further. Even with plugs and muffs you are damaging your hearing running a bark box, straight shot, etc.

Thanks for posting, gents. I was considering a Bark Box for my 500i, but not if it's loud like that. No thank you.
I was bucking up a bunch of logs at my parents place today and even my very hard of hearing dad ran for muffs. It's loud.

Latest posts

Back