Stihl MS 440 help needed.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Human_Wreckage

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
My Dad bought a Stihl MS 440 Arctic without a compression release a few months ago. After a while, he went back to his Husky because he hates trying to get the Stihl started.

-My question:
Can his Stihl 440 be retrofitted with a compression release?
Can someone tell me how, and what parts I'd need?

Thanks for your help.

If it has the plug in the cylinder, and the hole in the shroud, all you need to do is add the decomp valve... about $20.

It does have the hole in the shroud, but that's about as closely as I've looked at it.
Is the valve something that is model specific, or do they pretty much all use the same part across the line?
Depending on who's in that day, the people at the local saw shop are not always really helpful, so I try to know what I'll need before I walk through the door there.

Human_Wreckage said:
It does have the hole in the shroud, but that's about as closely as I've looked at it.
Is the valve something that is model specific, or do they pretty much all use the same part across the line?
Depending on who's in that day, the people at the local saw shop are not always really helpful, so I try to know what I'll need before I walk through the door there.

You need 1128 020 9400 - decomp valve - $15.75 (out here), and, 1122 084 1405 - grommet cover - $1.85.

Your prices may vary slightly.

Pop off the shroud, remove the plastic plug in the shroud, remove the bolt plug in the cylinder, insert the decomp valve, pop on the grommet, put shroud back on, start saw.

Am I missing something i dont have any problems starting my 440 without using the compression release. Are you sure the problem is strictly because of the lack of copression realese?

93_ChargedCobra said:
Am I missing something i dont have any problems starting my 440 without using the compression release. Are you sure the problem is strictly because of the lack of copression realese?

I see by your profile that you are only 25. When you get older you will find that all kinds of stuff that is easy at 25 gets much harder. Especially if you have any type of hand or joint problems. Some days I have very severe pain in my hands and other days none at all. On bad days I would not even consider picking up a saw let alone trying to start one. He said it was his dad and he could very well be like me and find pulling on it difficult without the compression release.

With my 260 I never use the release. With the 660 always!

Also turn down the loud music and wear hearing protection or you will have a constant ringing in the ears like I do by being foolish in my youth. What is that you say, speak up I can't hear you over the ringing in my ears. :greenchainsaw:

Mike hit the nail on the head there.
I'm not sure if he didn't notice it was lacking the compression relief, or in a fit of chest thumping he thought he didn't need it, but he's 60 years old. Granted, he's in pretty good shape, but he's keeping his outdoor boiler fed and managing his own property, the guy needs a break whenever he can get one!
Hell, I'm 30 and some days I wouldn't even think about picking up a saw, either.
He says he doesn't like the saw, but I'm guessing that if it had the valve, the Husky would stay in the shed more often and he'd get that nice, shiny new saw good and dirty. Maybe I'll have to sneak it out of his shed and put that valve in for him.

MikeInParadise said:
I see by your profile that you are only 25. When you get older you will find that all kinds of stuff that is easy at 25 gets much harder. Especially if you have any type of hand or joint problems. Some days I have very severe pain in my hands and other days none at all. On bad days I would not even consider picking up a saw let alone trying to start one. He said it was his dad and he could very well be like me and find pulling on it difficult without the compression release.

With my 260 I never use the release. With the 660 always!

Also turn down the loud music and wear hearing protection or you will have a constant ringing in the ears like I do by being foolish in my youth. What is that you say, speak up I can't hear you over the ringing in my ears. :greenchainsaw:

Im sorry if I offended anyone, but I just wanted to make sure they werent fighting some other problem with the saw. Ive never experienced on a saw but i know on a dirtbike or a car if your timing is advanced it can be a ????? to crank over. Nothing more depressing than "thinking" you know the answer to your problem and it wind up being something else.

I dont regulalry go profile surfing but I also wouldnt have a clue how old or in what kind of shape Human_Wreckage's father is, as if i even looked at his profile it wouldnt show his fathers age anyway.

I could be wrong, but I don't think anyone was offended here. I wasn't anyway.
I suppose there may be some other issue with the saw, but it was bought new a couple of months ago at a pretty good shop, and my dad's not one to mess with the saw any more than he needs to.
I'm one who likes to turn wrenches for fun, but I've only recently decided that I want to get to know more about wrenching on saws. My previous experience with 2 strokes has been limited to snowmobiles that didn't need to be messed with, a dirtbike I didn't keep long enough to learn anything, and a few nitro powered R/C cars, and I'm not really sure how much of that experience applies.
That brings me to my next question, how do you adjust timing on a saw? How would I know if it's right in the first place?
I think this is a case of the saw not quite fitting the purchaser as purchased. He asked the shop owner if there was anything to be done about the saw being a little much to start sometimes. The shop owner told him to trade in his saw for one with the compression release. No, thanks, I'd rather take care of it for $20.

93_ChargedCobra said:
Im sorry if I offended anyone, but I just wanted to make sure they werent fighting some other problem with the saw. Ive never experienced on a saw but i know on a dirtbike or a car if your timing is advanced it can be a ????? to crank over. Nothing more depressing than "thinking" you know the answer to your problem and it wind up being something else.

I dont regulalry go profile surfing but I also wouldnt have a clue how old or in what kind of shape Human_Wreckage's father is, as if i even looked at his profile it wouldnt show his fathers age anyway.

Human is right, no offence was taken, just wanted to explain the different perspective!

Back