Stihl ms 440 rebuild

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stihl Ohioan

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have been getting part by part to rebuild this saw with all new oem parts for over a year now. The only parts not new are the coil and flywheel,crankshaft and carb. Everything else is new from stihl. I put the saw together this weekend first time trying to start it I did not tighten the flywheel nut down and sheared the flywheel key . Replaced it with a new key tried to start it again and nothing it has fire I poured a little motomix into the cyl and it still would not even try to start. I regaped the coil and checked the comp its at 150 . Why will it not even run on fuel in the cyl could it be out of time? What am I missing here ?

Sheared the key again?
Did you completely degrease both tapers on the crank & ID of the flywheel?
I use carb or brake cleaner on a clean rag. Repeat a few times.
Are both the tapers free of any burrs?

It's not the key that seals the deal on the flywheel. The key is only there to index the timing. The taper fit is what holds everything snug.

I checked the key wiped down the crank put the flywheel back on . checked all the hoses and wiring put another new plug in it. Put it all back together first pull it poped then nothing 20 mins later same thing first pull it poped then nothing . The plug was wet after 10 pulls. I went through the carb again too everything seems as it should. The only thing I can figure it the timing is of or the coil is bad it tested good though . It has me stumped . I have never had a saw I rebuilt do this .

Do you have spark if have the plug out and ground against the jug ? Also how diid you gap your coil ? If loosen the screws put a buisness card in between the flywheel and coil to gap it

Possible that the float valve in the carb is stuck. If you have a wet plug, it is likely coil or carb.

The coil has a primary and secondary winding. If the secondary is shot, it will pop but won't run. This happened to my 044#2 last year. I was sure (and so was almost everyone else) that it was fuel, but it was the coil. A pop, then nothing, and a wet plug. I changed the fuel line & filter, the impulse line, rebuilt the carb, changed the carb, then changed the coil (w/AM unit) and it came to life.

Try changing the coil then carb with know good ones.

Back